Any new models of 17 WSM out there? Performance???

FullMoonYoteSkin

I'd like to know of some other manufacturers of the 17 WSM aside from RUGER, VOLQUARTZEN, and of course the Savage B- MAG. Not to beat a dead horse, but are savage B-Mags on average as bad as they say they are? I have always had superb luck with Savages

On average? Hard to say. I know the early ones had lots of issues but it seemed like there were some good ones that came through as well. You know how it goes.......you always here about the bad ones at ten times the rate as the good ones.

I held off getting one due to the reviews. I waited for the newer heavy barreled model to come out before I committed to trying one and I'm glad I did. I have one that seems to be shooting just fine and I've gone through 2 boxes of ammo w/o one hitch. No feeding/ejection issues at all. Every round has fired. I seem to be getting close to 1 MOA and hope to get there when I get more ammo shot through it, we'll see. The bolt action has smoothed up a little now that I've gotten some rounds through it and it should get even better given time.

The factory plastic stocks are a cheap P.O.S. and that's this guns biggest drawback IMO but nothing a Boyds stock can't fix.

There are some serious B-Mag HATERS out there that probably got a gun with issues and they can't let it go and I guess I don't totally blame them but I know of some haters that have never even owned or shot one as well.
rolleyes.gif

Will you be taking a little bit of a chance if you decide to try one? Possibly. But I have confidence in Savages overall therefore I decided to take that chance and I'm glad I did. What's not to like about shooting a 20gr rimfire @ 3000fps?
thumbup1.gif

I bought one about a year ago. It was the heavy barreled model. It was a POS out of the box. Wouldn't hold 3in at 50 yds. So I started to experiment with it. I treated it like a magnum spring airgun. It was very hold sensitive. I finally got so fed up I put it in a Boyd's stock for 90 bucks. Really nice laminate thumb hole stock. I had to relieve a couple spots in the stock but it took only 5 min to finish it.

My rifle has turned into a tack driver! It will shoot a nickel size group at 100yds and a half dollar at 200 on a calm day. Wind will buck the little pill quite easily. But nowhere near as badly as the 17hmr.

I would really like to see a couple more rifles come out in this calibre. Say something like the old rimfire bolt action Remington did based on the model 700 action....

As a note the savage stock on the BMag is a POS and almost all the issues I have seen are from the plastic stock not supporting the action and barrel correctly.

I hope this little hot rod picks up some traction and it becomes more popular. Great little round to reach out and touch small ish critters.

Inside 150yds it puts a smack down on eastern coyotes. Out of 6 dogs none went further than 10 feet.

Only shows in town are the Savage & Valquartzen. Since I can't afford the Valquartzen (who can?) i'm waiting for the Ruger hawkeye WSM from shot show. Looked real nice & hopefully it will be priced affordably.I contacted Ruger and they had no comment on the release date. Hopefully CZ will release one before Ruger but I haven't seen anything on that.

Last edited:
Franklin Armory has their F17 rifles, along with their available upper. They are fun to shoot and accurate. I've got an upper on order and will be taking it with me to shoot ground squirrels up north in a couple of weeks.

Ruger had a rifle at SHOT and says that they will announce something at the NRA Show. If that comes through, then it will be what many are looking for in a 17WSM.

Savage has announced their B.MAG Target, which is their heavy barrel stainless in a Boyd's stock, direct from the factory.

Cabela's is going to offer a lady hunter version of the B.MAG, which is the heavy barrel stainless in a shorter stock (possible shorter barrel as well).

With my Franklin Armory upper, that will make #4 - 17WSM rifles for me. Two B.MAGs, a Contender Carbine and the FA upper. All my rifles are great shooters and I have killed a lot of varmints with them.

Eric
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: MbstorrsMy rifle has turned into a tack driver! It will shoot a nickel size group at 100yds and a half dollar at 200 on a calm day.

yes. yes indeed.
w00t.gif

do all you other guys shoot this good too?
tongue_smilie.gif

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: MbstorrsMy rifle has turned into a tack driver! It will shoot a nickel size group at 100yds and a half dollar at 200 on a calm day.

yes. yes indeed.
w00t.gif

do all you other guys shoot this good too?
tongue_smilie.gif

Well of course we do! This is the internet.
wink.gif

yes internet. guess it was a silly question.
tt1.gif

if i had mbstors bmag i would drive all around the country winning money making bets with non believers. like the pool hustlers do. yes i would. lol

i tried liking a bmag. i wanted to like one. i think it is a neat round. could even live with the crap plastic stock and cock on close bolt. if there was even a glimmer of hope for either one of the 2 i had of being half way accurate i might of even got a boyds stock for one of them.

but it was a non starter for me. both of them, 8 twist and 9 twist. both were so far from being what i consider accurate there was no hope. nothing was going to help either one of those dogs. maybe i was very unlucky twice. maybe my expectations are higher than some. i became a bmag hater. I hate obomoo and most liberals too. just the way it is.

half dollar size bmag groups at 200 yards. yes internet stuff for sure.

If I can get my B-Mag to shoot nickel sized groups @ 100 yards I'll make sure to video tape it all just so I can show you.
thumbup1.gif
Maybe we can get you turned back into a lover.
wub.gif

And on a side note, I don't hate Obama or most liberals but I do STRONGLY dislike some of them.
wink.gif
There's only 1 man I truly hate in this world, but that's another story.

Last edited:
2 of my 3 bmags will shoot quarter size groups at 100yds. The two shooters are the heavy barreled versions. The original skinny barreled gun is a turd. Its a great cartridge with lots of killing power for a rimfire. There will always be haters.....just means more ammo for me !

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnot yes internet. guess it was a silly question.
tt1.gif

if i had mbstors bmag i would drive all around the country winning money making bets with non believers. like the pool hustlers do. yes i would. lol

i tried liking a bmag. i wanted to like one. i think it is a neat round. could even live with the crap plastic stock and cock on close bolt. if there was even a glimmer of hope for either one of the 2 i had of being half way accurate i might of even got a boyds stock for one of them.

but it was a non starter for me. both of them, 8 twist and 9 twist. both were so far from being what i consider accurate there was no hope. nothing was going to help either one of those dogs. maybe i was very unlucky twice. maybe my expectations are higher than some. i became a bmag hater. I hate obomoo and most liberals too. just the way it is.

half dollar size bmag groups at 200 yards. yes internet stuff for sure.

I couldn't have said it any better.

I have the Franklin Arms 17 - powerful and accurate shooter. If i had been more patient I wold have waited for Volquartsen, although my ideal 17 would be one from H-S Precision:

Franklin Armory F17-L. Had to send it back to tweak the gas port, turn around from SC to NV and back was about 8 days if I remember right. They fixed it and shipped it back the same day they got it. I haven't put it in the sled yet to fine tune, but this group was 100 yards sitting on the ground using a bogpod tripod w/ the 20 grain ammo. It doesn't seem to care for the 25s.

IMG_20141216_101615201.jpg

IMG_20150129_220904755.jpg

Guys, I got the ruger M77 in 17 WSM. I had one ordered in from my local gun shop and the first one to come in had a large black knot on the wood stock. For a gun that costs $800+ I would have not expected to see that come out of the ruger plant. Ended up ordering another one which took a couple of weeks. This one came in with a very nice walnut stock, however the action was pretty tight. I put several boxes through it hoping that the action would loosen up but it hasn't. called ruger and they sent me prepaid documents to send it back. Just a pain to do so. The bolt is so tight after firing that I have to leverage it up using the scope since the bolt does not extend very far out so hard to get leverage. Best group is about 2.5 inches at 100 yds but this could be due to cranking on the scope to get the bolt open each time. Over all, very solid gun and I think it will be awesome once the bolt issue is resolved by their folks. will post again when I get it back.

BTW, seems to like the 20 gr better than the 25's as NoName1 posted.

My heavy stainless B-mag was right about 1MOA with both Win loads out of the box. Some creative bedding and blocking and a Boyd's Lightweight Thumbhole and it's sub-MOA.

Only real disappointment I had with the B-mag was that the bolt handle contacted my scope eyebox with medium rings that set the scope close to the barrel, so I had to add high rings - which meant I needed an extra little bit of cheekpiece.

Back