Varget 223 loads

Humpness

I have several lbs of VARGET left over from my 22-250 days. I worked up an accurate load with benchmark and 53gr but I'm wondering if there is a home for the varget. Are you guys using it on 60+ grainers? I know you can load load 50s and 55s but it doesn't seem like the powder of choice, given its most likely compressed.

I guess that for about 10 years now Varget has been my number one choice for my .223 rifles. I have shot so many tiny groups with it and taken a bus load of ground squirrels and prairie dogs that I prefer it over any other powder. 26 grains of it with either a 50 grain Vmax or Nosler Ballistic Tip are just a killer combo. I like to use the CCI BR primer to light it off with but that is not mandatory.

Decent speeds and superb accuracy is what makes me keep coming back to that load. It aint failed me yet.

Iv loaded varget with 53gr, 55's and 60gr bullets with good results. Varget may not produce the fastest velocities but it can yield accurate loads.

2nd the 26.0 gr varget load,but with the 50gr Hornady sx. No splash no exit shooting coyotes inside 200 yards,it is my no sew load. Tried and true on many coyotes.

I never tried it with .223 60gr bullets but it shoot's 7mm 120gr very well.I'd be surprised if you couldnt get good to great results with heavy .223 bullets.

I have used it with 50,55,60,62 and 68. There was not one bullet that I could not get good groups out of this powder with. Have been shooting 53 sierra HP over bencark because it is the most accurate load in my gun bit I got some very very good ones with varget

Originally Posted By: RustydustI guess that for about 10 years now Varget has been my number one choice for my .223 rifles. I have shot so many tiny groups with it and taken a bus load of ground squirrels and prairie dogs that I prefer it over any other powder. 26 grains of it with either a 50 grain Vmax or Nosler Ballistic Tip are just a killer combo. I like to use the CCI BR primer to light it off with but that is not mandatory.

Decent speeds and superb accuracy is what makes me keep coming back to that load. It aint failed me yet.

This ^^^.

Be aware that with 26g +, a 53 grain bullet will make for a compressed load with most cases. This doesn't represent a problem, it just freaks some people out if they are used to loads that do not fill the case.

Grouse

I've have always gone to Varget for my heavier 223 loads. It is my favorite with the 60 partition and I have even been experimenting with the 64 bonded nosler. Have never tried it with the lighter bullets, however I know many that have and like it...

Well there you have it. I am getting a bunch of hornady 55sp w/c for cheap. Maybe I will load those up with it. Not sure what to expect from those bullets. For $7 per 100 it's a win win. Keeping my vmax for the yotes

i've put some extra greenbacks aside for the midsouth blem sale again this year.

i wanna get a couple K worth of the vmax blems so i can save my firsts for the real stuff and use the blems @$0.101 each for fun stuff.

All my favorite loads for all my guns seem to be compressed. I use 27.5g varget with a 50g v max, that pretty much fills a case, which is a max load for a 55 grain bullet.

Originally Posted By: crowslayer17I use Varget in a 1/7 twist with 80gr Bergers.

Varget works well for me with the 80 VLD's in a 1-8" twist too, and a buddy has excellent results with the 69 SMK's in a 1-9" twist.

Back