Rifle Painting

TastierOak

Hi everybody I'm looking to paint my weatherby vanguard .223. I'm probably gonna paint it tan with black webbing. I would do a tiger stripe pattern but I can't find a stencil.

Anyway if you guys have any tips for me on painting rifles in general I'd appreciate it. I also have a question for anyone who can answer it. Does paint stick to synthetic material. If so does it last? I have a synthetic area on the forend and grip.

What paint works the best? Any tips? Tutorials? Feel free to send pics, thanks.

I've painted quite a few of my guns now, all I've used is Krylon ultra flat paint and they've turned out pretty well for me. I've found that pine needles make a reall nice grass pattern and occasionally use the mesh laundry bag for the snakeskin look. I always finish the paint job with a couple coats of flat clear coat, just to try to preserve the paint longer.

The only synthetics I've done have been an AR15 handguard and the stocks on a Saiga. The only thing I noticed about synthetics is that it seems to need longer drying times or it tends to always feel a little sticky, it hasn't been enough to bother me though. The paint jobs have all held up pretty well, and I'm not easy on my guns at all, they're tools and treated as such. Lol. Besides, if the paint starts to wear off, touch up is really easy.

Not sure how to post pictures, but if you PM me your email I'll send some to you. Good luck on your painting. By the way, it can be addicting. Lol

you talked about a tiger stripe. take wide masking tape and put on a clean cutting board. take a sharp pointed knife or x-acto and cut your stripes out in what ever shape you want. you can make several at a time with the wide tape. peel the cut stripes off the cutting board and apply to your rifle after you paint it with your stripe color. then paint with what will be your base color(s). let dry well and carefully peel the tape off. wo la you have tiger stripes. I use one of the rough finish rattle can paints for the base. Just dont rush painting or drying. your time will make your paint job.

Originally Posted By: realhunter Paint a rifle

That's really all there is to it...

I picked up leaves out of the yard, rolled masking tape and stuck behind them. Layed down a coat, stuck leaves on it, layed down another coat, stuck more leaves on it. When I ran out of leaves, I got the pine top out and filled the voids in between. Finished up with a little free hand on a 29 cent artist brush.

As for the synthetic stuff, as that appears to be more like a rubber grip, I'd say paint isn't going to stick, and if it did, it's probably going to cause you grief. Personally, I'd just tape it off, and leave it.

I ripped small strips of blue tape, applied to black plastic stock, then painted white. Removed tape and applied a clear coat. My girlfriend calls it the COW GUN. I suppose it does look Holstein-like...but I like it. Krylon Fusion is made for painting plastics. It holds up well.

Rocky,
That is an awesome paint job! Almost looks like it was dipped. You have a real talent there!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Big_FootRocky,
That is an awesome paint job! Almost looks like it was dipped. You have a real talent there!

Thanks Big Foot, it really wasn't difficult, picked up a can of every color Krylon Camo paint they had at Wally World, and a can of textured paint, don't remember the color/texture, but that actually has a bark feel to it. Swung through the arts and crafts section and grabbed a pack of cheap artist brushes. Walked around and picked up a dozen or so leaves under 3 - 4 different types of trees, and broke the tip off a pine branch.

When I got ready to paint it, I taped off everything I didn't want painted, bent a coat hanger ran it through the sling swivel on the end of the magazine tube, and hung it off my engine hoist in the shop. Put a layer of paint on, turn the fan on it, and go tinker with something else til it was dry. Stick on more leaves, lay down another layer of paint, go tinker with my other project. Before the afternoon was done it was all painted. Left the fan on it overnight, peeled all the leaves off it and put it in the gun vise next morning, and spent an hour or so finishing up the freehand with the brush.

Hardest part of the whole project was deciding to paint the old girl to begin with. She'd led a pretty tough life, either had to be blued and refinished, or painted, so I opted for paint.

Quote:I would do a tiger stripe pattern but I can't find a stencil.....Check out the DuraCoat site for the pattern...Here is how my first attempt turned out...

Back