Wanting to hunt SouthEast Montana

Dead Mission

I live in Ohio and I have an opportunity to Hunt near Alzada, Montana later this year. Any western hunters have any tips for time of year to go and some places that aren't extremely pressured? Anything else I should know about like Rattlesnakes?

Cactus and gumbo
Your going to learn lots 'bout them...
Have good boots and don't step on a snake you will be ok. That's so far away from me I'd have to stop and get gas twice, AND I live in Mt.
I can't help sorry I try to get everywhere but just have not got to Alzada..

Hundreds more cows than people out there, storms one minute blazing sun the next. That's just the first 20 minutes
smile.gif
Lots of opportunity for long shots, .22-250 or .243 and wind doping skill. Something like a turkey chair to sit on, a poncho for the above extremes will help keep you comfortable.

Hunt it in April or early October before deer season starts. I would say September but mosquitos can still be a problem then along with the rattle snakes. Stupid snakes can be a problem anytime it's not cold enough to send them underground. You might want to ask if there are any wild turkeys in the area. Turkey tags are available over the counter...

Not a ton of elk near Alzada, but I can imagine that there are plenty of coyotes. You can hunt predators year-round in Montana without a license if I remember correctly, so it's just a matter if you're hunting for fun or fur.

Back