.17 Hornet vs .17 Remington

TheWolf57

I'm looking for a rifle to use on bobcats and fox. Which one would you pick and why? From what I've seen, the Remington hits harder and is a higher velocity round. I will be buying a TC Encore soon for deer hunting but was looking at the Savage Model 25 in .17 Hornet.

I have both. That's what I recommend. I have the Model 25 and it is my go to rifle. It is chambered in .17 Hornet and if you dont hand load i would really recommend that you do with the sub calibers.

Last edited:
Have you used it on coyotes at all? My idea is to buy the Model 25 for fox & cats and use an Encore barrel for coyotes.

Ya I use it on coyote's as well. I shoot a handload 25 grain Hornady hp out of mine and it has been like a lightning bolt on everything I have shot. I am not a big fan of the 20 grain vmax but some people have had great success with them. If you know your limits and shoot very well i totally recommend the Hornet.

Thanks. I'd really been looking into the Model 25. Nice to have a fast follow-up shot. What would you say the max range on the Hornet is?

That all depends on the shooter. It is great for inside 200 yards and I have killed a coyote with mine at 270 yards. That little bullet loses a lot after 300 yards.

I do most of my hunting with an Encore in several calibers. My go to's are .260 for deer and .17 fireball for groundhogs, fox, and coyote. I love the Fireball and it's a great compromise between the .17 Hornet and .17 Rem. It's very fur-friendly, virtually no recoil, and not particularly loud. The Fireball is an MGM barrel. I also have a Rem 700 SPS in .17 Fireball that I only use for groundhogs or short walks due to its weight. The nice thing about the Encore for predator hunting is that it's so compact...but you do have only 1 shot so it needs to be a good one.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JLJ223Very interesting thread since I just bought a CZ 527 Hornet the other day.

Good call. ^^^^
If you're going to own a 17H (and everyone should) that's the one to buy.

I'm not sure I'd recommend the 17H as a dedicated Coyote round, but with multiple species where fur's a concern there's allot worse choices.

It won't be a dedicated coyote rifle. It'll mainly be for fox/bobcat. I have a .243 for coyotes. Only thing holding be back on the CZ is the price tag.

I own both CZ's and Savage's and to me yes the CZ is a much more quality rifle. Some of the newer CZ's have a pretty rough action from the factory. Usually all that is is the grease and dirt from CZ. The Savage action looks like a larger version of their 93 rimfire action. It does have a jewelled bolt and the action on mine was pretty smooth from the factory. As far as accuracy goes my Savage will outshoot the CZ everday of the week but that will very from gun to gun. If you buy a Model 25 the first thing you need to do is buy one with a wood stock if not buy a good laminate for it. Another thing to consider is bolt throw. The Savage is a short 60° throw where you may a new bolt handle for the CZ depending on what optic you wanna run. The trigger on the CZ are really good and are single set. I also enjoy the Accutrigger on the Savage as well.

I bought mine as a plinker/varminter more than anything.Originally Posted By: RePeteOriginally Posted By: JLJ223Very interesting thread since I just bought a CZ 527 Hornet the other day.

Good call. ^^^^
If you're going to own a 17H (and everyone should) that's the one to buy.

I'm not sure I'd recommend the 17H as a dedicated Coyote round, but with multiple species where fur's a concern there's allot worse choices.

Back