Please help so confused

lunchbox

Reloading some Hornady 52gr bthp and some 55gr vmax for my savage m10 predator in 223. When I chamber it I get a ring around the ogive. Max coal 2.260 I loaded it at 2.245 still got the ring even down to 2.220.factory ammo I have is at 2.245 Chambers fine with no ring at all
mad.gif
any guesses on what's going on??

Factory case headspace measures 1.455 and so does my FL resized cases. All measure with a LNL case gauge. The resized brass chambers smooth with no marks.

It's not the seater plug it's rightt on or close to ogive.
And my col stays the same. I've tried to increase neck tension on my RCBS seater and still having issues

Ok, just had to make sure.
thumbup1.gif

Pull one of those factory 55 max then measure and compare to the bullets you bought.

One would assume they are an identical bullet but I have shot the factory 55gr sierra hpbt loaded by federal and those game kings have a tighter meplat than the bullets you buy to reload. Sierra told me they are made different per federal's specs. If they are hornady ammunition then they probably dont change the bullet shape.

What's the actual measured diameter of the reloaded bullets vs the factory? Maybe a run of "fat" bullets? And have you tried the 52's yet? IDK but those don't look like land marks to me.

FWIW I have a custom barreled 270 wby that won't chamber Hornady bullets because they are very slightly fatter than Barnes or Sierra and the lead is that tight.

I know that seems out there but it's worth checking.

Originally Posted By: lunchbox I've tried to increase neck tension on my RCBS seater and still having issues

WHAT!!! How are you trying to do this? Not possible with a standard die set.

Back the seating die out until you can fit a nickel in between it and the shell holder with the ram up, your ring will go away. You'll have to re-adjust the seating stem.

55gr all match up. And the 52gr do the same thing too. They don't seem like land marks at all kind of like a cannelure but not as deep

Originally Posted By: ninehorsesOriginally Posted By: lunchbox I've tried to increase neck tension on my RCBS seater and still having issues

WHAT!!! How are you trying to do this? Not possible with a standard die set.

Back the seating die out until you can fit a nickel in between it and the shell holder with the ram up, your ring will go away. You'll have to re-adjust the seating stem. bad choice of words I guess... The ring caused by chambering will go away??

if it is happening when you chamber it you have something weird going on in the chamber. can you see anything strange in it?

nevermind. see you said factory ammo dont do it.

Last edited:
Let's be clear, if you rifle is causing these marks, you have something stuck in your rifle's chamber.

If this is being caused by the seating die, you have it screwed in too far, and are jamming the bullet into the part of the die that is designed to crimp the case.

When you stated about "adjusting neck tension" with your die, red flags went off. You would need a bushing die to do that.

I did do a light crimp to see if it would help. I don't know why I said neck tension. Frustrated I guess. Also the chamber is clear,cleaned,mopped dry and still had marks.

Also what I would do is after seating a bullet I get a marker and color the bullet, run it thru the cycle, And that's when the ring would be there.

Your ring is located exactly where a bullet seated too long would jam into the rifling and since the mark appears only upon chambering, bullet has to be making contact with chamber unless I'm missing something.

If I understand, you are loading exactly the same bullet as Hornady is loading but to a slightly shorter COAL?

Measure the diameter of the handloaded bullets at the ring, then measure the factory bullets at a point the same distance from case neck. I think you'll find the diameter of your handloaded bullets to be slightly larger than the diameter of the factory loaded bullets at that point for whatever reason.

Suspect that seating your bullets deeper will eliminate the ring.

Regards
hm

Back