>>>>D.I.Y.... MAKING YARDAGE RANGE TURRETS<<<<<

As long as it works for you then it good to go. Nothing wrong with putting things together for yourself till you find what you are looking for.

So you had a turret with marks, that correspond to the range you're shooting, with the ammo you're shooting and instead....decided to cover them all up with tape and write marks on it, that correspond to the range your shooting, with the ammo you're shooting?

LOL... No... not at all.

A Custom Turret will have marks that align themselves to your rifle's final load...and will show yardage marks. If you buy a custom turret, then it is only good for that load ONLY.

My Buddy wanted to go bang some steel at known yardages. We only had time to bang the 300, 400,500,600... the 700 - 1000 will happen later.

Once I shot those ranges, I then had to write down those turret marks on paper... and then keep that paper with me to remember where to set the turrets.

My DIY custom turrets helped me get to those ranges quick and easy, without a piece of paper in hand. I don't have all the ranges marked in between yet... but that's coming with a little help from the Ballistic Calculator.

Altitude and Weather will throw these marks off now and then, but that happens with all scopes... this is just a starting point.

They should be called...Quick Range Hunting Turrets.

You could have just as easily made a small drop chart and taped it on your cant-level riser. It might take 2 seconds longer to use but there wouldn't be a wad of tape on your turret to deal with. Those factory marks on your turret work with any load too so you won't have to redo when something changes. Plus.. It just looks better with no possibility of error because a pen mark is too wide... Was it this click or the next one...... Now when you mark those ranges in between its going to get to where none of it makes any sense and its a cluttered mess.

Example of a small drop chart. If you want in between ranges then make it a little larger and tape it to your stock.
200/ .4
300/ 1.0
400/ 1.6
500/ 2.2

and so on..that's how us guys that have been doing this for years do it. That is if we just don't reference our shooter app on our phone and make the adjustment.

Furhunter... that is exactly what I do on my Vortex scope that has target turrets...with larger numbers and lines... but this Bushnell has 1/8 clicks... and those numbers on it must be a 4-6 font size, because it's difficult to read those little numbers, unless there is good light.

I may change scopes in the future, but for now, I'm looking for a Quick Fix.

Your right about factory turrets, they do work with any load. I was referring to the custom ones that are marked for a rifle's particular load.

This diy turret looks a little tacky, but for now it helps get to the needed yardage QUICK, without trying to read tiny numbers. My thinking is... that once I'm at the desired number... then minor adjustments can be made with a few minor clicks here or there... and there's no more chance of getting them on the wrong click stop, then it is without the tape.

I guess it's main purpose is for quick hunting situations... and not that it's really needed, because longer shots usually give you more time to range and set turrets... so this may be just a bunch of crap...LOL.

I got the idea from Dartman and His Neighbor who shoot coyotes way way way out there.

There's some place online that prints them out on a strip according to your ballistics. Then you peel and stick them to your turret similar to what you've done. I don't have a link because it never interested me in having one, plus I thought they were a solution to a problem that didn't exist.... But they are out there.. FYI

I cut out a strip of paper about 1/4" wide and very carefully taped it on top of my turret. I can still read MOA but also have no brainer adjustments right there too. I made 6 for each of my loads while I was at it.... Basically the same idea.

Back