Lathe question

sdkidaho

Those of you turning calls, are you using full size or the mini lathes? What preferences do you have in a lathe and are there any certain brands that you recommend?

Most guys run a Midi size lathe. Mini lathes don't really have the power of the size needed once you get into making calls. Main thing to look for when picking out a lathe is to make sure the headstock and tail stock are MT2 taper. You can get any attachment you would need for that size. Brands are a matter of preferrence. Most guys swear by Jet brand lathes. But they are pricey for a beginner. You don't neccisarilly have to buy the top end, but don't buy too cheap. You do get what you pay for. But remember there are a ton of more things you will need to buy too
Hope that helps a little
Dusty

Jet,or Grizzley, or Delta,are all good.Save your money and get the best or as close to the top of the line.That you will only cry once.

Thanks guys.

Originally Posted By: ohioyotehntrBut remember there are a ton of more things you will need to buy too

Like what? Is there a list of recommended things that a beginner could look at?

Originally Posted By: rareearthJet,or Grizzley, or Delta,are all good...
...only cry once.

Only cry once, I hear that.

From all the ones I've looked at the JET 708358K JWL-1442VSK is the one I really like, although it's about double of what I would like to pay... And of course it has been discontinued.

Last edited:
I would skip the Delta brand, when the last sale of the company was made the new owners were a little derelict in buying the repair parts division. It took almost a year before they got back on track and they still have not recovered in the parts department.

I would also add Rikon brand to the list of good brands to buy. They might be the new kid one the block but their quality and customer service are top notch.

If all you plan on making is calls, the Jet 1442 is overkill, any of the mini and midi lathes are plenty big enough. If you are going that big you might as well break all of the budgets and go with the Powermatic at around $3000. The Jet midi 1221 and the Rikon 70-220VSR Midi Lathe would be my choices of new lathes.

If Provo, Utah is close enough you also have access to Craft Supplies USA, I would go visit with them and see what they have available. Tell them what you want to make and your long term goals, they can guide you, just remember they also sell the equipment, you don't need a great big lathe to make calls, but their salesman may think you do.

Originally Posted By: sdkidaho
Like what? Is there a list of recommended things that a beginner could look at?

Chisels, miter saw, bandsaw, grinder, chisel sharpening jig. Wood, lots of wood, from domestic to exotic. Drill bits, chucks, a drill chuck, a collet chuck and a 4 jaw chuck. Mandrels, you will need one for each size of call you want to make. Drill press, you can drill on the lathe, but sometimes you will still need a drill press.

Other supplies, reeds, unless you make your own, then you will need a jig and supplies of Mylar and castration bands. A buffing system, sandpaper, finishes, which will need to include a collection of CA, oil and varnishes.

So far we have amassed about a $700 to a $1000 worth of "stuff", if you know what you are doing you can cut that down considerably by making some of the tooling yourself and short cutting some of the processes. But since you are a beginner, you might better invest in everything at the beginning to save yourself some frustrations.

I saw that Jet 1221 as well, I'll check into it and the Rikon.

Have the miter saw, drill bit of various sizes and types, drill press, table saw, router. Looks like I need lots more though.

Thanks dogcatcher!

So the Jet JWL-1221VS and the Rikon 70-22VSR are quite similar to each other. In stats and even in looks they are very similar.

They are a bit different in price:
Jet: $679.99 free shipping
Rikon: $584.99 plus $54.99 in shipping

So a difference of $40.

For $40, I can't see buying the Rikon over the Jet, just from the reviews I've seen. Which have been quite positive for both lathes, but I get the feeling that Jet is better liked or better trusted maybe?

Originally Posted By: dogcatcherIf all you plan on making is calls, the Jet 1442 is overkill, any of the mini and midi lathes are plenty big enough. If you are going that big you might as well break all of the budgets and go with the Powermatic at around $3000. The Jet midi 1221 and the Rikon 70-220VSR Midi Lathe would be my choices of new lathes.

I'm not sure if that's all I plan to make or not. The things I've considered are all fairly small, less than a foot in length, but I don't know if that would ever change? It does look like there are some extensions available if a guy changed his mind later on down the road, so that's nice.

Originally Posted By: dogcatcherIf Provo, Utah is close enough you also have access to Craft Supplies USA, I would go visit with them and see what they have available. Tell them what you want to make and your long term goals, they can guide you, just remember they also sell the equipment, you don't need a great big lathe to make calls, but their salesman may think you do.

Provo isn't too far, 4-5 hour drive. And I do see the lathe on their website for that same price, but with another $45 in shipping and then adding in State Sales Tax if I actually went there. It would be nice to see it setup if they actually have some in their showroom though. I might do that.

Thanks again!

I suppose I can't really contribute much, but I'd point something out that I screwed up when I first started to try making calls - you need a drill press WITH A FOUR INCH TRAVEL!! I had a pair of bench top presses with 2.5" and 3" travels, ended up having to double drill everything until I could move my standing drill press out of storage.

I'm on a Delta Midi, not making many, just playing around. Got it used for $180 locally, when it burns out, if Delta won't service it, I'll probably buy a Jet, but at my rate, even if it has 10% life left, it'll last me a thousand years!

I suppose I'd also comment that what guys say about buying quality TOOLS (not just the quality lathe) is true. I bought a set of 'good tools' and a set of cheap tools to start out with. I spent all of my time sharpening the cheap tools, finally switched over to the good stuff after I thought I had the hang of it and noticed that I was finally spending time TURNING instead of sharpening. Cry once on your chisels/tools too!

Last edited:
Let me just say I got into it not very long ago, whatever you think you are going to spend total at least double it and you will be closer to a real number!

I wasn't looking for it, but a Delta - Midi-Lathe 46-250 came up on Craigslist near me for $110.

Used. Comes with nothing. Supposedly works just fine. Looks like this one:
IMG614_md.jpg

Worth it? Or save the pennies and just buy a better one to start with?

Originally Posted By: sdkidahoI wasn't looking for it, but a Delta - Midi-Lathe 46-250 came up on Craigslist near me for $110.

Used. Comes with nothing. Supposedly works just fine. Looks like this one:
IMG614_md.jpg

Worth it? Or save the pennies and just buy a better one to start with?

I have the same Lathe. Had it for a long time. Belt broke last year and was able to get a new one through Delta really quick. Kind of a pain to have to move the belt to alter the speed every time but it works good for me.

Bought the lathe. Seems to function well (not that I'd know the difference) and looks like it's in good shape. Nice old guy that had it. He's moving south, has a bad heart and didn't want to pack it with him. If he sets up another shop he'll just buy a new one he said.

Didn't come with anything but the lathe itself as he wanted to keep all his tools in case he sets up shop again some time.

So... I own a lathe.
laugh.gif
I've never used one, and have no tools to use one, but I own one and I'll start studying a bit to see what I can do with this thing. Thanks for the help guys - much appreciated.

Back