Hunting Rifle Weight

soup

Folks ,
I'm a new to ARs old guy .I put together a rifle to hunt fox, coyote , groundhogs and punch paper from a rest . Just for my enjoyment not in a competition . Do you think its way to heavy for my intentions.
Mega lower
Geissele DMR
20" stainless -fluted -bead blasted Varmatch ( .812 ) in .223 Wylde 1-7.7 twist . I called Krieger and told them my intended use and they suggested this over an HBAR
Krieger free floating hand guard-they assembled the upper
A2 butt stock
Leupold VX3 3.5x10x50 scope

So there you have it , do you think I made a big mistake in the barrel ?
The weather here in the NE has not allowed much in the way of load development so I can't tell if it will be accurate .
Please reply with your opinion .
Thank you all in advance for your time and help. Good shooting .
Soup

You do have a bit of paper and the groundhogs on your list. The rest depends on how much walking you do and what you are used to. When it comes to a gun you carry a lot but shoot little, I like light weight and compact.

Soup,

I sent (PM) you a link for a 6.8 AR build that weighed under 5lbs and that's also with a weaver scope mounted.

90% of my hunting rigs are compact and weigh in at 8lbs loaded with 3lb triggers (my sweet spot).

Rig weight preference is purely subjective, and varies from person to person. My wife and I will carry 15lb+ rifles in the field without batting an eye, whereas a cousin of mine refuses to carry a total rig over 7lbs. Even in the mountains, I'd rather have an extra pound or two on my pack than sacrifice my shootability.

Maybe it's just because I shot heavy bolt guns for so long before I picked up AR's, but I don't shoot a center balanced AR for schitt, so I like a bit of barrel weight to give me a forward balance. I have built a couple hyper-light AR's, and I just don't ever feel as comfortable shooting them as I do a heavier barreled AR. I can still be as accurate, but I'm always second-guessing my shots.

I do call with a 16" HBar A2 that comes in at 10.1lbs as hunted, but I keep a bipod on the forened that I almost never use to give me a bit more forward balance. Even when I was shooting 3gun, I liked having muzzle weight to let me lay on the rifle a bit more to press it onto the target.

Last edited:
I really don't worry about what a rifle weighs as long as it does its job.

Most people are overweight by 20+ lbs and they don't care about that but [beeep] about a rifle that weighs couple more pounds then another. Makes no sense. Build it to shoot then do it.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: 3DHUSKERI really don't worry about what a rifle weighs as long as it does its job.

Most people are overweight by 20+ lbs and they don't care about that but [beeep] about a rifle that weighs couple more pounds then another. Makes no sense. Build it to shoot then do it.
smile.gif

I was 120lbs overweight 5years ago, but my weight never slowed me down. However, it did create health issues such as high blood pressure, diabetes, etc.

After loosing the weight I'm no longer having health issues or have the need to take medicines of any kind.

I do recommend that others take care of themselves so they can live life to the fullest.

Some people can be underweight, overweight or on par with what is recommended, but everyone is different and no doctor or medical guide can say for sure what your ideal weight is.

Just like what might work for me in a rifle may not be right for the next person.

This thread doesnt make a whole lot of sense to me. how heavy is too heavy? IMHO that is strictly a personal preference. Some people cant handle more than 6-7lbs while others dont have much of an issue with going 13+lbs.

That said, no doubt 13lbs is heavy but for me it wouldn't be over the top. I guess I would suggest you get out and make some stands with it and see if you like carrying it or not. Seems like a simple solution to me.

rifle weight has never been an issue for me, I am not a big man but I can handle what ever gun you put in my hands, and probably out hike you.

Originally Posted By: richard50rifle weight has never been an issue for me, I am not a big man but I can handle what ever gun you put in my hands, and probably out hike you.

Good for you

Originally Posted By: richard50rifle weight has never been an issue for me, I am not a big man but I can handle what ever gun you put in my hands, and probably out hike you.

What do you want, a Cookie.

Back