m&p 15 for hunting???

ohihunter2014

I currently shoot a savage bolt action but looking at the m&p15 for some coyote and woodchuck hunting. how accurate are these things? anyone use one?

I sighted in two versions (Free float quad rail and the other was the magpul) of these two weeks ago for a friend.

Sub MOA using factory Federal FMJ.

My brother has one that used to be his law enforcement duty rifle. Shoots an inch with an eotec on it and would prolly do better if he had a scope or magnifier. The rifle has no problems putting down coyotes in its retired life.

Shelton

Originally Posted By: ohihunter2014I currently shoot a savage bolt action but looking at the m&p15 for some coyote and woodchuck hunting. how accurate are these things? anyone use one?

I have several ARs that I plink with and hunt with. Very fun to shoot and can be very accurate. None of mine are S&Ws so I can't vouch for how nice they are but I don't know of anything with the S&W logo on it that isn't good stuff. The 223/5.56 will do just fine on a coyote or a woodchuck. Not sure what your budget is for the rifle but when you go shopping for one look for one with a free float barrel.

If you have any more questions about the ARs shoot me a PM. I'll be more then happy to help any way I can.

Originally Posted By: ohihunter2014I currently shoot a savage bolt action but looking at the m&p15 for some coyote and woodchuck hunting. how accurate are these things? anyone use one?

I bought the M&P 15 Sport. It has no dust cover or forward assist. I have shot sub MOA groups with several factory FMJ rounds and am now shooting some 50 grain Ballistic tips out of it for hunting. It has worked for coyotes from 40 yards to 305 yards so far. I have shot a couple dozen rock chucks with it as well, mostly at 150-200 yards.

1176121_607766059276256_1929220578_n_zpshbvrbn4w.jpg

This coyote was shot at 260 yards.
10003155_712371595482368_1077885561_n_zpsqzkc3uk3.jpg

These were both shot at about 150 yards.

It is usually the rifle I grab to take calling. For less than $700 for the rifle itself, I couldn't be happier.

Originally Posted By: TaterTot Originally Posted By: ohihunter2014I currently shoot a savage bolt action but looking at the m&p15 for some coyote and woodchuck hunting. how accurate are these things? anyone use one?

I bought the M&P 15 Sport. It has no dust cover or forward assist. I have shot sub MOA groups with several factory FMJ rounds and am now shooting some 50 grain Ballistic tips out of it for hunting. It has worked for coyotes from 40 yards to 305 yards so far. I have shot a couple dozen rock chucks with it as well, mostly at 150-200 yards.

1176121_607766059276256_1929220578_n_zpshbvrbn4w.jpg

This coyote was shot at 260 yards.
10003155_712371595482368_1077885561_n_zpsqzkc3uk3.jpg

These were both shot at about 150 yards.

It is usually the rifle I grab to take calling. For less than $700 for the rifle itself, I couldn't be happier.

this is what im looking at is the m&p sport. I cab touch holes at 100-200 with my savage bolt gun, would like an ar for follow up shots and something to have some fun with.

Originally Posted By: ohihunter2014another concern I had was not being able to shoot it accurately or get a good cheek weld due to the stock. anyone have issues with this?

There are several different stocks in all shapes and sizes for the AR platform. It's amazing really what you can do with these rifles as far as bells and wistles to make them comfortable and accurate. If your looking for a collapsible stock then take a look at a stock made by Mako. It has a cheek riser that you can adjust for a good cheek weld. I have yet to see one on a big name out of the box rifle so you would have to swap it out for the carbine stock that comes with the rifle you buy. It will work with both buffer tubes. Meaning "mil spec" and "comercial". There is also a cheek riser that snaps on to a Magpul collapsible stock that is made by Magpul. As far as shooting it accurately that depends on your version of accuracy. Most ARs are pretty accurate out of the box. But there is a few things that can help shrink your groups. The factory trigger on most ARs is horrible. But a decent trigger can set you back a couble hundred dollars.

Back