243 or 6.5 creedmoor for long range

The .243 Win will be at it's best with a custom barrel with a 1-8 twist. This will allow shooting the 105gr VLDs.

All factory 6.5 Creedmoor barrel are twisted for the long 140gr bullets.

I prefer the .243 Win/105gr VLD.

Hard to go wrong either way but the Creedmoor should give a little longer barrel life and is what I'd choose.

Originally Posted By: ZYes I reload.

Then your answer is...neither!

6X47 Lapua or a 6 Creedmore...with a lean towards the former.

Just ask Brad how he likes his 6X47 L...all 3 of em...
laugh.gif

Otherwise, if you want to stay with a factory rifle...a 9 twist 243 and a 95 Gr Berger Classic Hunter would work, me thinks.

Originally Posted By: ZThat is all you have to pick from. Want a low recoiling 1000 yard steel gun. What say you?

260 rem is a caliber choice. 243 brass is easily necked up to .260. Ive got a custom savage .260 rem and my bro has a 6.5 cm. Both are great rounds and shoot great.

When I found that I had a stress cracked barrel in my .308, I chose to rechamber the new barrel in the 6.5 Creedmore, as opposed to the 6mm...primarily due to the fact that with a 1/8 twist, I could utilize a heavier bullet than with the 6mm...

While I'm currently in the process of building loads for a 123gr BTHP, I always have the option of going up to a heavier bullet if needed...For local shooting the 123gr will suffice nicely..

I do realize that the 6mm has a little higher following in popularity on the national benchrest circuit, but the 6.5 CM is a fairly new round to the shooting community and, to be honest, I really don't care what others use in the first place...

I shoot both .243 and .260 but not the Creedmoor. If I had to choose between a 6 mm and 6.5 mm, I would go with the 6.5 to get a wider range of bullet options with a good ballistic coefficient. I don't shoot long range target but I do know that the .260 has done very well in the hands of those that do. I would think the CM would do well also.

I have a 243 and chose a 260 over a creedmore just because... I think a guy or gal can have fun with both. Why limit yourself? Unless you don't have enough room in the gun safe
smile.gif

While I am a 6.5 Creedmoor fan it's hard not to smile when shooting the 105gr 6mm CM with the low recoil and that bullet gets to 1000 pretty quick.

Originally Posted By: ackleymanThe creed give you more magazine room with the OAL vs the 260...just say'en. Nothing wrong with the 260.
Only a problem with a gas gun.
I would go .260 since you can make brass from 243, 7mm-08, or 308 brass and the 85gr to 160gr bullet selection

Creedmoor can be made from all those cases and 22-250 also, 260 will loose case capacity with the heavier bullets due to magazine restrictions.

Originally Posted By: 1badsheeCreedmoor can be made from all those cases and 22-250 also, 260 will loose case capacity with the heavier bullets due to magazine restrictions.
True but its not as easy as running through a .260 die and its done. There are more steps that are involved and it is a much more involved process.

To get a 6.5 bullet of same BC as a 105 (6mm), to the speed of what a 6CM, 243win or 6x47 can push the 105; you need a BIG case. A big case with a heavier bullet equals more recoil, more expense & just as much if not more wear.

REALLY tough to beat the 6mm until you get on past ranges your talking.

I would absolutely add 6x47L, 6CM, & maybe even 6BR/BRX/Dasher to the list.

Back