Leupold VX-R 2-7x33 questions...

Str8Shooter

I'm looking into purchasing a Leupold VX-R in the 2-7x33 configuration to mount on my 6x45 AR. I do quite a bit of calling on moonlit nights so I'm wondering if the smaller objective will be a problem regarding light transmission. My intention is to set this rifle up as a close quarters calling rig and I like the wider field of view that the 2-7 has to offer.

I have two VXR 2-7-33's on bolt guns and have no problem seeing at dusk or moonlight nights and that red dot on dim is the cats meow for calling in low light conditions!

I've got the 1-4 with the 20mm objective and Im impressed by how well it works... Exept how it performed on a running coyote last night.

That could have been operator error though. Good scopes!

Exit pupil, optics and coatings, not objective size, determines light transmission.

The 2-7X Leupolds are quite nice in low light situation...and the illuminated red dot is a nice feature.

Originally Posted By: Rock Knocker Except how it performed on a running coyote last night.

I hear ya! I missed a runner last night too, darn thing came charging in and got too close. Worst of all, it was a black coyote... still can't get the bad taste out of my mouth.

Don't let anyone else read this.... but I missed because I was sending a text saying I just finished my last stand and was heading home. It was standing on an open pond as we were walking out, my buddy could have gotten it but he had a shotgun and I was blinded by my dang cell phone and looking around in the dark as he was yelling "Right there! Right there, right there, right there." I only saw it when it started to take off.

I just recently purchased the 2-7 VXR as well and have been very impressed so far. Not able to hunt with it yet, but the 2-7 does exactly what I need it to without being too heavy. I was surprised at how well the scope did in low light situations, after looking through it at dusk/night. The red illumination is very nice as well.

Originally Posted By: TripleLI just recently purchased the 2-7 VXR as well and have been very impressed so far. Not able to hunt with it yet, but the 2-7 does exactly what I need it to without being too heavy. I was surprised at how well the scope did in low light situations, after looking through it at dusk/night. The red illumination is very nice as well.

What reticle did you get?

I went with the ballistic fire dot. I ran across a good price on it and was happy with it. I looked at almost all the reticles and liked most of them. I think I might like the patrol reticle the most but didn't want exposed turrets. I was also leaning towards a 2-7 as it is perfect for where I hunt and my 6.8 AR. I am very happy with my purchase.

I was wanting one for a light weight upper build. I got a great deal on the 3-9....so I went that route. If I don't like the size of it I can make my cash back on it. Be aware that the 2-7 is only a 2.5-6.6. So you really aren't gaining a whole lot on the lower end. As I see it, the biggest advantage on the 2-7 is the smaller size on the 2-7.

If you can live with the BP reticle, take a look at primary arms. Great price on a 2-7. Also, gander has trade in days and you can get a 3-9 for $75 off right now.

The main reason I bought the 2-7 was for the size. The objective is smaller, shorter length, and lighter weight. I think that the ballistic reticle works well on the smaller power scopes as it can act like more of a point blank reticle with the circle. I don't find it too busy and I am usually a duplex guy. Either way I think you will like the vxr.

Back