1st kill with the Photon 4.6X

Originally Posted By: Wade SI just got my Photon mounted over the weekend and I really like it. Haven't had time to get it to the range yet to sight it in. For those of you who have removed the rubber eye tube, How does it come off? I tried screwing it off, but no luck. Does it just pull off? I don't want to damage anything, but I really do not like the tube.

Got mine Saturday morning and got it mounted on my .300 Black Out. At 40 yards, first shot was 1" right and about 6 low. The "X" adjustment seemed normal, "+" value moved it right and "-" moved it left. For the "Y" vertical adjustment, "-" moved it up. I think my final zero values were X-1 and Y-19.

I do not have a DVR, so I can't post video, but I am very impressed so far. We even sighted it in in the dark with no problems. It did seem to go thru the first off the shelf batteries quickly. They could have been old or maybe I accidently left it on. Not sure, so we will see how the next set lasts. I think good rechargeable batteries would help quite a bit.

Can't wait to actually hunt with this scope. Not sure how well it is going to work with predators, but it will really increase our hog count.

Originally Posted By: Powerstroke99Originally Posted By: Wade SI just got my Photon mounted over the weekend and I really like it. Haven't had time to get it to the range yet to sight it in. For those of you who have removed the rubber eye tube, How does it come off? I tried screwing it off, but no luck. Does it just pull off? I don't want to damage anything, but I really do not like the tube.

Got mine Saturday morning and got it mounted on my .300 Black Out. At 40 yards, first shot was 1" right and about 6 low. The "X" adjustment seemed normal, "+" value moved it right and "-" moved it left. For the "Y" vertical adjustment, "-" moved it up. I think my final zero values were X-1 and Y-19.

I do not have a DVR, so I can't post video, but I am very impressed so far. We even sighted it in in the dark with no problems. It did seem to go thru the first off the shelf batteries quickly. They could have been old or maybe I accidently left it on. Not sure, so we will see how the next set lasts. I think good rechargeable batteries would help quite a bit.

Can't wait to actually hunt with this scope. Not sure how well it is going to work with predators, but it will really increase our hog count.

Thanks for the info on sighting it in. Did it retain the zero when you switched the batteries out? It would not be good to have to sight in every time you change batteries. I thought about purchasing a set of lithium ion batteries to see if they outlast the alkaline batteries.

The Photon will retain it's sighting location for a little while. You can change batteries and not lose it, but if you wait too long, then it's good bye numbers. It is best to write down your sight in numbers then if you lose them all you have to do is dial them back in and you're good to go. I use mine on a couple of different rifles with a quick detach mount under the scope and I can dial it in to the rifle of choice and have good repeatability. I got lucky on the mount I guess. Never had one work that well on other systems. I'm getting between 4 and 5 hours out of my batteries depending on how much I use the on board light. Most of the time, I use just the T20. I tried rechargeables, and didn't like them. They didn't hold charge long and were a tad shorter than alkaline so they gave me some connection issues with the scope cap.

Hope you get to kill a bunch of hogs with that outfit. I've done some damage on coyoutes around the farm here. I really like the scope.

Originally Posted By: 1loboThe Photon will retain it's sighting location for a little while. You can change batteries and not lose it, but if you wait too long, then it's good bye numbers. It is best to write down your sight in numbers then if you lose them all you have to do is dial them back in and you're good to go. I use mine on a couple of different rifles with a quick detach mount under the scope and I can dial it in to the rifle of choice and have good repeatability. I got lucky on the mount I guess. Never had one work that well on other systems. I'm getting between 4 and 5 hours out of my batteries depending on how much I use the on board light. Most of the time, I use just the T20. I tried rechargeables, and didn't like them. They didn't hold charge long and were a tad shorter than alkaline so they gave me some connection issues with the scope cap.

Hope you get to kill a bunch of hogs with that outfit. I've done some damage on coyoutes around the farm here. I really like the scope.

Thank you. That is great information. I would not have thought to write down the numbers as I have never used any kind of digital scope before. An IR illuminator is next on my list. All I have now is the onboard IR and a surefire weapon-mounted light with an IR filter. It works pretty well but I don't think the wavelength on the IR filter (1000 nm) is perfect for the photon.

You would do a lot better with an IR that is around 850nm. Some version of a T20 is a good choice. I use one with mine and I like the range and function.

Originally Posted By: Wade SOriginally Posted By: Powerstroke99Originally Posted By: Wade SI just got my Photon mounted over the weekend and I really like it. Haven't had time to get it to the range yet to sight it in. For those of you who have removed the rubber eye tube, How does it come off? I tried screwing it off, but no luck. Does it just pull off? I don't want to damage anything, but I really do not like the tube.

Thanks for the info on sighting it in. Did it retain the zero when you switched the batteries out? It would not be good to have to sight in every time you change batteries. I thought about purchasing a set of lithium ion batteries to see if they outlast the alkaline batteries.

To confirm what 1lobo said, mine retained the x & y settings when I changed the batteries.

Originally Posted By: Powerstroke99Originally Posted By: Wade SI just got my Photon mounted over the weekend and I really like it. Haven't had time to get it to the range yet to sight it in. For those of you who have removed the rubber eye tube, How does it come off? I tried screwing it off, but no luck. Does it just pull off? I don't want to damage anything, but I really do not like the tube.

Go with the Energizer Silver Lithiums

Last edited:
Back