Which 40gr Bullet for 22-250

shelton573

It's getting close to time to start reloading some rounds for shooting the occasional groundhog this spring/summer. We are supposed to start seeing decent weather in a couple weeks here maybe and I have been itching to do some load development. I have a load worked up for my 270 with the 110 vmax I hope to try on the ol whistle pig for the WOW factor. I am going to work on some 52 gr berger loads for the 22-250 but I also want to try to work up a fast load for it using a 40 gr bullet but not sure which one I should try. What do you all have the best luck with? Any brand and load suggestions would be much appreciated (I know all guns are different, just curious what everyone is using). The gun has a 26" varmint barrel with a 1:14 twist. Any input would be much appreciated!

Shelton

I was playing around with the 40 grain VMax, trying to find a good accurate load for my 22-250. Although I worked up some pretty good loads, I found that one that made me forget the others. 39.5 grains of Varget and the 40 grain VMax shoot extremely good in my rifle, a 24 inch barreled Ruger with the 1-14 twist.

I have used the 40gr V-Max factory load and it caused groundhogs to bang flop right where they were at, no exit wounds though, I have also used the 40gr V-Max in hand loads for my 223 and it is extremely accurate and effective.

Originally Posted By: kymailman98I was playing around with the 40 grain VMax, trying to find a good accurate load for my 22-250. Although I worked up some pretty good loads, I found that one that made me forget the others. 39.5 grains of Varget and the 40 grain VMax shoot extremely good in my rifle, a 24 inch barreled Ruger with the 1-14 twist.

Thanks for the info! I was planning in trying to run them over varget so I'll have to give it a shot.

Shelton

Originally Posted By: JLJ223I have used the 40gr V-Max factory load and it caused groundhogs to bang flop right where they were at, no exit wounds though, I have also used the 40gr V-Max in hand loads for my 223 and it is extremely accurate and effective.

I shot one last year with a factory 40 gr. It was crawling down a steep embankment and I shot it right in the top of the back. Apparently I hit its spine square because my results were much different than yours lol...damm near cut him in half! Also shot one with the winchester 35 gr lead free and it just punched straight through it. I'll have to try out some 40 gr vmax in the 250 and 223. Thanks for the reply!

Shelton

I use the same load as JLJ223 for the 40 Vmax. 26" barrel R700 Varmint, averages about 4100 fps. Vaporizes P-dogs and ground squirrels. Chest frontal shots on 'yotes means hes's dead before you can blink.

shelton:

The Sierra 40 gr. HP works very well in the 22/250 on groundhogs, is very accurate, tougher than a Vmax so it is less apt to splash at close ranges, and costs 40% less than the Sierra BliztKing and less than the Vmax.

I have been handloading the 40 gr. Sierra HP bullet for over 20 years in the 22/250 typically with IMR 4064, IMR 4895, or W748 powder.

Originally Posted By: BuckeyeSpecialshelton:

The Sierra 40 gr. HP works very well in the 22/250 on groundhogs, is very accurate, tougher than a Vmax so it is less apt to splash at close ranges, and costs 40% less than the Sierra BliztKing and less than the Vmax.

I have been handloading the 40 gr. Sierra HP bullet for over 20 years in the 22/250 typically with IMR 4064, IMR 4895, or W748 powder.

Man I had a box of 40 gr sierra hp in my hand yesterday at scheels but put them back because I had never heard anything about them. Maybe they will still be there next week when I am there. I don't have any if those powders on hand but I'm sure I could get them to shoot with something I have. Thanks!

Shelton

All of my shots were like center of mass shots, I used the 40gr Nosler through a 22 Hornet and it killed groundhogs surprisingly quick.

I shoot the Nosler Ballistic Tips out of my 26" barreled Savage. I load them over a charge of 36.5 grains of Varget. I haven't shot them over a chrono, but they are very accurate, and will typically "pop" a rock chuck quite spectacularly! I personally think they are a bit tougher bullet than the Vmax is.

Back