.22lr or shotgun?

sigpros

What do you guys like to use the most? I've always been a .22 kinda guy but leaning toward going to the scatter gun to jump shoot rabbits walking to the squirrel woods. What do you guys like to use? And if it's a shotgun what gauge?

I use a 22 mostly but for something like that a nice 410 would be awesome .

Maybe look at one of the savage 42 I believe is the number be a nice little combo gun for that.

Just an idea,
Scott

Usually .22 now, but I did jump shoot a lot of cottontails when I was a kid. Chasing bunnies with dogs and scatterguns would be pretty fun though.

This may sound stupid, and probably is, but the last time I went I used a .17 pellet rifle, which was last year and with the cost of .22s and being hard to find, I did the break action deal, It worked for me however I did miss a few, it's 2 moa at best for me, but I still have a lot to learn on properly hunting with a air rifle.... But if you plan on a jump shot on a rabbit, unless you have a shooting show on tv, I'd take a 20ga.

Back in my younger days, when I hunted small game...

I generally used either a .410 bored full, or a 20g ib modified, using 7-1/2 or 8 shot, for rabbits.

For squirrels, I almost always used a .22LR rifle. sometimes a pump, sometimes a semi-auto.

I use a .22lr semi auto rifle with open sights for squirrels and rabbits. I don't hunt with my dog so I don't need to worry about ricochets. If I hunted with dogs it would be with a shotgun.

Silly grandpa teachin' the kids to do it with .22s:

ReganErikSarahPapa27Nov2014Rabbits-_zps333ed59e.jpg

ErikWilliamReganPaul29Nov2014Rabbits-_zps7de04aae.jpg

Anymore i take my 22 and just sit still where i know the squirrels live and eventually they start to show up. A shotgun is more versatile if you are doing a lot of walking around as you can take rabbits or any other small game bird you might encounter.

Here in the northeast, most rabbit hunting is done in thick cover and grass fields with shotguns...20 ga. to 12 ga. It's safer for hunters and dogs.

Depends
If I want a bunch of Hasenpfeffer I take the 12 with 1 3/4" # 8 shot ( hand loads).
If I want to HUNT bunnies I use the 10/22

I use a model 24 savage that is a 22lr and 410 over and under. Best of both world. Was given to me by Santa in 1968. Heavy little booger though.

Back