Central Missouri

I used to live in Cooper Co and had some success in the MO river bottoms...If you don't know any of the farmers with land along the river in Howard Co, you might take a look at the public land in the Overton Bottoms, on either side of the I-70 bridge at Rochport, but on the west side of the river...

Spend a little time glassing the tree line from the top of the levee that runs along the railroad track and you will probably see them moving along the edge of the tree line at the river...It is possible to call them back to you if you can enter the area quietly...

Now that Rabbit season is pretty well over, you won't have to contend with locals running their Beagles down there...If you take the Midway exit and stay on US 40, there is some more public land that is rarely hunted down stream from US 40, just past the viaduct..The Conservation Dept had maps online of both areas...

my son lives near Columbia.
tons of places up there.
i am new to it myself.
but from all the info i can gather. morning or evening is best.
but some go at it all day.
also depends on the time of the year. as to what calls are best.
distress VS howling .

i hope other chime in with better advice, but that's all i have.

This year I havent done much good either morning or evening. I have called one in that I saw and it was in the afternoon, but too far for a shot with shotgun.

Here in southeast Mo we seem to have better luck in the evening's but we wont pass up a chance to call in the morning or all day if we can.

I've always had my best luck Coyote Hunting the first 2-4 hours in the morning and the last 2-3 hours of the Evening....if it's really cold with snow the chances of seeing Coyotes moving during the mid-day are much better!

Any time out in the Woods better Your chances than sitting in doors on a couch!
laugh.gif
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: GTOHunterI've always had my best luck Coyote Hunting the first 2-4 hours in the morning and the last 2-3 hours of the Evening....if it's really cold with snow the chances of seeing Coyotes moving during the mid-day are much better!

Any time out in the Woods better Your chances than sitting in doors on a couch!
laugh.gif
wink.gif

What he said^^^^^^^^

I'm in SW Mo with lots of timber rather than pasture or row crops. Yotes gotta eat and I tend to see more in the morning hours than evening, but that can change depending on any of 5,752 different factors
grin.gif

What works today might not work tomorrow only
a mile away
confused.gif

Back