States that allow Hunting with a Suppressor.

skinney

Director
Any new or updated info can be added here.

Suppressor-Laws-By-State-Map.jpg

Thanks for posting this up. I'm just curious where the information is from. I've heard lots of people talk about hunting non-game animals with cans in Montana but when I called I was told they are illegal to hunt with period.

Originally Posted By: blopez50Thanks for posting this up. I'm just curious where the information is from. I've heard lots of people talk about hunting non-game animals with cans in Montana but when I called I was told they are illegal to hunt with period.

Don't believe everything you see or hear... Contact the head GFP of the state... I've had big name wardens in my state tell me I couldn't hunt ANYTHING with a can... whether they were misinformed, or just putting up a front, either way they didn't know what the [beeep] they were talking about.
Think of it this way, ask the average politician what an MOA is, or a Suppressor, or an 8lb keg of Varget, they'll look at you like your crazy.
It can be a similar instance with the state, not everyone knows the info they should for their roll... I suggest contacting multiple Wardens, I know a few fellas who kill 400+ a year in that state, who would know the legalities of running a can.

Then the gunshows.... I'll tell ya, they really come out of the woodwork for those happenings, a good 25% of the fellas that stop by our booth tell us what we are doing is illegal... It's hard to know where to begin informing them with the facts.

Sounds great man, thanks again. I just talked with the first person they put me on the phone with. I'll have to call back and dig deeper.

most states now have the current regs posted online. either get a copy & highlight the relevant parts, put that in your pack, or find it online, print it out & take it with you.

My approach to such disputes is to be calm & respectful. "I'm sorry if I've misunderstood the regs, I have a copy here. Would you mind looking at this with me so I can see where I got it wrong? I thought this part here says (whatever is in question)".

One caveat is that the regs they distribute to the public are usually not the actual laws, and the actual laws are what controls. So the regs could say something that isn't in fact in compliance with the law itself.

I have a email from the head man of the MO dept of Conservation saying I can hunt anything here with a can just in case I run into one of his officers that is misinformed. Never had to use it.

Most Game Officers just want to shoot it when they see I have one.
smile.gif
I have most of their phone #'s now and they say let me know if you see any thing that isn't right and flag me down when they see me out hunting just to shoot the breeze and my weapon.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: ShurshotUpdate effective March 19, 2015

30c1ta8.png

I am not sure I see that correctly. In Alaska there are no regs disallowing cans. You have one, you use one, anywhere you want.

Originally Posted By: Field Medic3D husker. .. what is the process and time it took you to get your can registered in MO? What kind of cost is involved?
Right now trusts and individual are running about 4 months. Send me a Pm with your # and when your available and I will call you and run you through process. Its easy, worse thing is the wait.

You can add Minnesota to that list. I believe July 1st we can own and hunt with beginning August 1st. Never thought legislation would pass, but it passed with a veto proof majority. Trust already done, will be ordering a can next month.

Originally Posted By: NitromanOriginally Posted By: ShurshotUpdate effective March 19, 2015

30c1ta8.png

I am not sure I see that correctly. In Alaska there are no regs disallowing cans. You have one, you use one, anywhere you want.

Other than NFA laws, Nevada is the same way. Including big game.

All that was needed to pass the bill was an add on allowing convicted felons to vote, I guess that will clean up some of the DFL supported illegal voting.

starting Jan 1, 2016 you'll be alowed to hunt with a suppressor in Maine.

1. you must legally own one.
2. you need a permit to hunt with one issued by the DIFW comisionor, good for 3 years.

Back