Open carry holster for M&P 9mm.

jblomqui

Im looking to pick up an open carry holster for my new M&P 9mm. Ive never carried a hand gun so any advice is appreciated. Im looking for something quality made to keep the gun securely on my hip out in the desert (hiking, riding 4wheeler) nothing fancy. Also wondering pros and cons or preference of Kydex to Leather?

I use these holsters when I carry my M&P40. I have Desantis leather hip, BlackHawk Serpa hip, and shoulder rig, The Desantis is a thumb break, and the serpas work fantastic. I will be ordering a CrossBreed SuperTuck deluxe in the next few weeks for IWB carry. Be prepared to own several holsters, each for a different type of clothing that you will wear. (Warm or cold weather)

Blackhawk serpa... Good security, which is very important for open carry, and tough as [beeep]. Also should come with both attachments and the price is right...

Blackhawk Serpa is probably the best thing going for your money. Quality holster that is totally secure and comes with both belt loops and a paddle. I have carried every day, everywhere, since 1983 and these have quickly become my favorite since coming on the market a few years ago. I now have them for all of my carry rigs (Glocks and Sigs) and the paddle is all that I use. Comfortable, durable, easy on and off. You will not be disappointed!

Kydex in hot humid climes. Does not creak when concealed (not an issue for you). Paddle yes-for easy on/off. My favorite-Comp-Tac, but mine is usually concealed. If I were doing a lot of extreme activities I might try a Serpa, but that push button release under stress is a deal breaker for the fast draw requirement of concealed carry, and the Comp-Tac holds great and the grip tension is adjustable.

Check out "simply rugged" holsters
Hand made , heavy duty, all leather and great folks to deal with.

I will offer a different opinion. I like shoulder holsters. Just because I like to carry a handgun while hunting. A shoulder holster makes it easier to ensure that it does not get covered up by a sweatshirt or jacket while hunting. It also makes it easier to make sure that your barrel isn't digging into the ground while sitting on a stand. That's just the way I think. But regardless, A leather maker called Cochise Leather in AZ. may be worth a look regardless of what style you are seeking. Good luck.

O-357,
I will offer a different opinion to your different opinion.
smile.gif
I hate shoulder holsters... but love the Tanker style chest holster for the outdoors. El Paso Saddlery makes a good one and Diamond D Leather has their Guides Choice holster. I own both and prefer the Diamond D Guides Choice. It is an amazingly versatile rig for the outdoors. I think for horseback or riding an ATV like the OP mentioned it would be first rate, better than a hip holster. It also works very well with a backpack and for layering heavy outer clothing on and off. The Guides Choice is extremely comfortable, you can position it for your best comfort exactly where you want it on your chest. I deboned and quartered several deer out, two by moonlight and a headlamp, last deer season wearing the Guides Choice and scarcely knew I was wearing the big Glock 10mm. The only downside, they aren't cheap.

Originally Posted By: GCSafariland ALS

I'm really surprised there are not more votes. I've used several holster & for activities that OP listed; doubt there is a better holster without spending 3-5 times as much. Also, certain models protects muzzle. Easy to draw after a little practice (thumb release latch, not trigger finger button). They are not much for aesthetics, but they protect the gun & have enough retention to break your belt loops on your jeans before the gun is released. One of the best holsters out there or woods/play carry.

Back