Shotgunned 1 coyote this morning!

derbyacresbob

I left my house at 8:15 am this morning to go out and do some calling. On my second stand I was on the top edge of a pretty big canyon. I sat down in the shade of a small oak tree and I was leaning against the tree truck with my shotgun in my lap and my 22-250 sitting on the bi-pod next to me.

The wind was blowing down the canyon and I had my Fury and Jack Daddy decoy set up about 15 yards away on the upwind side. I had my Fury pointed against the wind but knew that the sound was going to carry down the canyon.

I had the Fury playing some bird sounds for about 12 minutes when I saw a coyote down the canyon and down wind heading my way. I was surprised that the coyote had not smelled me or my caller bag yet. I set my camera down because I knew this coyote was not going to come in close.

I put my hands on my Remington 11-87 and just a second later the coyote stopped and put his nose in the air. The coyote was quite a ways off but I had to try it. When I shot, the coyote dropped stone dead and I could see my pattern hit the ground about 15 yards past the coyote. It looked to me like the coyote was centered in the pattern that hit the ground on the other side of the coyote.

I stepped the distance off and the coyote was laying 68 big steps away from where I was sitting when I fired the shot. I used a 12 ga 3" 1-1/2 oz re-load of TSS #4 shot.

006_1.jpg

In the above picture you can barely see the coyote laying in the middle of the picture.

005_1.jpg

I zoomed in my camera and took another picture from the same spot.

010_1.jpg

Here is the small male coyote that was hit with the TSS #4 shot.

If the TSS "Tungsten Super Shot" was not so expensive I wouldn't use any other type of shot. TSS shot is 18g/cc density, Hevi-Shot is 12g/cc so the TSS shot is very heavy for it's size plus it is very hard so it penetrates like crazy.

It started raining on my fourth stand so I headed for home.

Originally Posted By: TwistrateGreat job. Is this TSS available in a factory loading. ?

TSS shot in not available in any factory loads. It is very exspensive, $50.00 per pound, that is $4.68 for one 1-1/2 oz load.

Some Turkey hunters are using it in sizes #8 or #9 and killing turkeys with 410s and 20 gauges. Quite a few duck and goose hunters are also using TSS shot in 28 gauges and 20 gauges and are killing geese with #6 TSS shot.

WTG I shoot Tss turkey hunting. In my 20 ga. i use #9 shot, its hard to believe the patterns Tss shoots. Need to try it in #4 shot for yotes, they say its awesome.

Beautiful view there and that's a long poke with a shotgun! Congratulations and thanks for sharing.

Regards,
hm

Back