What aftermarket IR light to buy?? ATN X-sight 5-18x

The Duke

I would like a recommendation of an IR flashlight to buy that will work with this scope. Its digital night vision from China. HAHA

Looking for the best to try and see if I can't get to 250 yards. I am told you can, but I can't find out what model they are using. I would prefer something that either runs on AA batteries or CR123 batteries nothing rechargeable. I get hosed with those all the time.

Thanks for your time!

Aaron

Originally Posted By: The DukeI would like a recommendation of an IR flashlight to buy that will work with this scope. Its digital night vision from China. HAHA

Looking for the best to try and see if I can't get to 250 yards. I am told you can, but I can't find out what model they are using. I would prefer something that either runs on AA batteries or CR123 batteries nothing rechargeable. I get hosed with those all the time.

Thanks for your time!

Aaron
In order of $&performance.
I blueprinted/accurized the adjustable IR that came with it.
I modded a T20, with a Osram Oslon Black SFH4715s high power, 1070mW, 850nm infrared LED for pinpoint distance use.
But my old TNVC adjustable 'Da Torch' worked the best.
Until I tried my TNVC DBAL-D2's IR illuminator, it beat 'em all.

Last edited:
I called ATN today and spoke with a tech guy there. He recommended the UNV-20 couldn't tell me what kind of distance an user would get. What turns me off with this light is it only works with the rechargeable 18650 batteries. It also specifies, "Do not use CR123 batteries". With that I am out. I want something that uses both preferably. My luck I don't use it for 6 weeks or so then it doesn't ever hold a charge again to its full potential.

Never had a problem with the 18650 batteries holding a charge or fully recharging. I have some that are 4 years old and still going strong. Have you already had bad experiences with these batteries?

I have. I have maybe 20 total from several different manufacturers. I have even thrown some away. One lasted for 10 min on an XLR-250 with a full charge.

Originally Posted By: Readyman

• In order of $&performance.
    I blueprinted/accurized the adjustable IR that came with it.[color:#CC0000][/color]
    I modded a T20, with a [/u]Osram Oslon Black SFH4715s high power, 1070mW, 850nm infrared LED for pinpoint distance use.
    But my old TNVC adjustable 'Da Torch' worked the best.
    Until I tried my TNVC DBAL-D2's IR illuminator, it beat 'em all.
    That sounds strangely familiar....

DONT TAKE THIS WRONG I MYSELF HAVE 4 YEAR OLD BATTERIES THAT STILL HOLD A GOOD CHARGE IN THE COLD... MAYBE YOUR LIGHT IS SHORTING THEM OUT DOES IT GET WARM AT ALL IT SHOULDNT

Originally Posted By: The Duke I would prefer something that either runs on AA batteries or CR123 batteries nothing rechargeable. I get hosed with those all the time.
Aaron

What are you buying?

I've run a bunch of different brands, never had a problem.

I am not trying to sell you or lean you one way or the other but your problems with rechargeable 18650 batteries could be like my recent issues. There was nothing wrong with the batteries but the made in China rechargers were a piece of junk and not charging properly. I just threw two brand new 18650's chargers in the trash that came with Chinese lights I ordered. I check them with a volt meter to see what the output is to actually see what kind of charge I am getting. If you have a meter, check your charger and see. You should be getting just over 4V, mine is 4.1V output. Checking your batteries with the same meter after charging, you should also get 4V or slightly more on a 3.7V battery.

DaTorch is pretty good for mostly everything you need using night vision Gen III optics, unless you are trying to squeeze the last bit of performance out for your NVOs, then the TorchPro would be an upgrade, it has a more powerful IR LED and a much better lens system.

I have both, but am not using them with any digital devices like the ATN X-sight.

I would imagine with the poor performance of the ATN X-Sight that it would be an improvement though.

Originally Posted By: weekender I am not trying to sell you or lean you one way or the other but your problems with rechargeable 18650 batteries could be like my recent issues. There was nothing wrong with the batteries but the made in China rechargers were a piece of junk and not charging properly. I just threw two brand new 18650's chargers in the trash that came with Chinese lights I ordered. I check them with a volt meter to see what the output is to actually see what kind of charge I am getting. If you have a meter, check your charger and see. You should be getting just over 4V, mine is 4.1V output. Checking your batteries with the same meter after charging, you should also get 4V or slightly more on a 3.7V battery.

I am using the chargers that came with the batteries. I have 6 chargers all are from Elusive Wildlife Technologies. I will check them and see, good idea.

Originally Posted By: The Duke Originally Posted By: family guyA t-20 that uses cr-123's or rechargables plus more distance and light than a TorchPro.

http://www.hightechredneckincorporated.com/Irlightbuilds-UniqueFire-T-20-IR-850nm-p/nva3155.htm

This is what I am leaning towards. Going to call them tomorrow. Looking at specs This light is much brighter then The Torch Pro.
FWIW - Yes the 1 watt is more power than the Torch or DBAL-D2, and with a bigger minimum FOV(Field of View). The 5-18x has a tight FOV.
I put my T20 LED into a smaller 25mm aspheric and changed the FOV, so I can't say how much IR spillage you'll get with the original 50mm OEM lens T20 at distance.

Last edited:
Back