Suppressed 22-250 barrel length?

TWahl21

Hey guys. I have a suppressor on the way (7.2in long) and am planning on getting the barrel on my 22-250 threaded. But I'm just curious if you guys think I should leave the length or cut it down 2-4 inches? It has a 24 inch fluted barrel. Most of the yote hunting I do is sitting down with my bipod/tripod.

Thanks

Usually not a problem, especially at the length you are talking about. I would consult with the mfg of your particular suppressor to be sure of compatibility and warranty should something go wrong.

By the way, who is the mfg and model and what is it rated for?

Last edited:
I have a 28" full bull barrel threaded for mine. It works great. If your rifle is accurate don't screw it up. I didn't even let him recrown it. Just threads with a protector.

Originally Posted By: erikc838Usually not a problem, especially at the length you are talking about. I would consult with the mfg of your particular suppressor to be sure of compatibility and warranty should something go wrong.

By the way, who is the mfg and model and what is it rated for?

+1 be sure the manufacture will still warranty for anyone cutting barrels down. It still plenty long for all of the suppressor manufactures out there but it doesn't hurt to verify.

It is already long with the suppressor as it sits. I would cut it back to 20". You will lose some velocity (maybe around 125-150 ft/s). You just have to decide if the shortened length and less weight is worth that.

We cut all our 250 barrels down to 18", IMO there isn't enough velocity loss to worry about, but then again, I use a FFP optic so we can utilize hold over fairly quickly if the need arises.

As mentioned above, be sure the suppressor manufacturer's can is rated for the length you decide to go with, I know most don't want you to go under 20" regarding a high velocity or magnum round.

I had my 243 cut from 24" to 20" and it made it real handy. I only lost about 60 fps. Currently its runnung an 87 Vmax at 2960fps.

One of my 22/250 has a 26" Barrel and screw the 7" suppressor on that makes it feel like a Telephone Pole. But it works fine on a Bi-pod or a Stationary position.
And with that experience with the 26" barrel,,
I'm having a 20" , 22/250AI version Built.
Shorter barrels really handle well with Suppressors Mounted.

Originally Posted By: crowkiller51One of my 22/250 has a 26" Barrel and screw the 7" suppressor on that makes it feel like a Telephone Pole. But it works fine on a Bi-pod or a Stationary position.

Exactly. My .220 Swift has a 28" barrel and with my can screwed onto the end it is one long momma. But since 100% of my shooting with it is off a bench, either at the field or at the range I dont give two whoops about how long my barrel is. I like long barrels. Always have.

I didn't bother to ask about length on mine. Woops! I just asked if the can was rated to handle the 22-250. They said their steel can was but their ti wasn't. Since mine is steel I just went ahead and cropped it to 18". No issues so far.

Originally Posted By: crapshootI didn't bother to ask about length on mine. Woops! I just asked if the can was rated to handle the 22-250. They said their steel can was but their ti wasn't. Since mine is steel I just went ahead and cropped it to 18". No issues so far.

WHAT?
Someone makes a Ti can that isn't capable of handling the 22-250?

Who's can is this?

I still shoot a 24 and 26 inch barrel on my 250's. However I shoot a 22 on my 243. length has never been a problem in most open areas I hunt. In close quarters I shoot a AR-15 SBR in 556 that is a 11.5 barrel and 7 inch suppressor. Total package is like 36 inches.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: cbass16Originally Posted By: crapshootI didn't bother to ask about length on mine. Woops! I just asked if the can was rated to handle the 22-250. They said their steel can was but their ti wasn't. Since mine is steel I just went ahead and cropped it to 18". No issues so far.

WHAT?

Who's can is this?

SAS. They probably make another model ti can that is capable but the 5.56 model can I have, made in Ti, is not.

Originally Posted By: crapshootOriginally Posted By: cbass16Originally Posted By: crapshootI didn't bother to ask about length on mine. Woops! I just asked if the can was rated to handle the 22-250. They said their steel can was but their ti wasn't. Since mine is steel I just went ahead and cropped it to 18". No issues so far.

WHAT?

Who's can is this?

SAS. They probably make another model ti can that is capable but the 5.56 model can I have, made in Ti, is not.
Ya I think they do, cause I have a SAS Sentinel Ti and I made sure it was alright for use on my 22-250.

When I put my gemtech sandstorm on my 24" savage 22-250 it gets real long. A little cumbersome for sure. I've used it yote hunting but it ain't real handy. The can pretty much turned it into a praire dog gun as I don't ever care to shoot unsupressed. I didnt want to cut the barrel as it is incredibly accurate and fast. I've since constructed a much better yote gun so it's a non issue. I think 20" would be a good compromise between speed and handiness.

Yes SAS Sentinel will handle it. I called them and asked about putting it on a 22-243AI and they told me it would be fine. I have shot mine on a 22-250 AI with no issues.

Back