Shipping Gunpowder

Shynloco

Guys,
How the heck can you ship gunpowder from one person to another? My reading of USPS guidelines says you can't and UPS says you have to have a "contract" (suggesting retailers only) to ship hazarous materials. Any thoughts or input? Thx

Originally Posted By: ShynlocoGuys,
How the heck can you ship gunpowder from one person to another? My reading of USPS guidelines says you can't and UPS says you have to have a "contract" (suggesting retailers only) to ship hazarous materials. Any thoughts or input? Thx

Fed-ex

Originally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: ShynlocoGuys,

Fed-ex

Thx for the info. Rates are so ridiculous (what a scam) now that if you can't drive there, it ain't worth the shipping expense.

Originally Posted By: Hunter GathererOriginally Posted By: reb8600You must be licensed to ship powder or primers. opinion or fact?

I call BS

HG,
Reb and I (and several others) have spent a lot of time researching the answer to that question.
If you can provide proof that an individual can ship primers and powder through a DOT regulated shipper without a Haz-Mat certification and a shipping contract with the carrier, I would like to see it.

Originally Posted By: EJ ReichenbachYou can ship it through fed ex

EJ,
if you are saying that Fed-Ex ships powder and primers, you are 100% correct.
thumbup1.gif

UPS also ships both every day.

But the issue is whether an individual without a Haz-Mat certification and a contract with the shipper (UPS or Fed-Ex) can legally ship powder or primers.
All of the info that we have found so far says NO.
If you have any reputable info to the contrary, please show us where to find it.

Last edited:
You can't ship powder or primers by themselves but you can shipped loaded ammo. I really don't get that? I hear its a big deal if you get caught trying to ship that stuff.

Last edited:
From Fed-EX web site....

All packages containing dangerous goods must comply with the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) Technical Instructions for the Safe Transport of Dangerous Goods by Air, the International Air Transport Association (IATA) Dangerous Goods Regulations and, where applicable, Title 49 of the Code of Federal Regulations. Shippers of dangerous goods, whether prepared under ICAO/IATA or 49CFR, must comply with all FedEx Express variations listed in the current edition of the IATA tariff. The shipper is responsible for complying with all packing requirements and appropriate marking and labeling of the package, documentation, as well as compliance with applicable local, state, and federal laws, regulations, ordinances and rules. The shipper is also responsible for ensuring the recipient complies with all applicable local, state and federal laws, regulations, ordinances and rules for applicable hazard classes.
Shippers must comply with all applicable local, state and federal laws governing packing, marking and labeling of shipments of blood and blood products, regardless of whether they are infectious.
FedEx packaging may not be used to ship dangerous goods, with the following exceptions: IATA Section II lithium batteries, which may be shipped in FedEx boxes and tubes; and Biological Substance, Category B (UN 3373) shipments, which may be shipped in the FedEx UN 3373 Pak, the FedEx Medium Clinical Box or the FedEx Large Clinical Box. The shipper assumes sole responsibility for compliance with all applicable governmental regulations.
Shipments containing dangerous goods are not eligible for FedEx Express return options, except dry ice, which may be shipped using the FedEx Print Return Label and the FedEx Email Return Label. FedEx Express dangerous goods surcharges are not assessed on certain types of dangerous goods, and these may be shipped via FedEx Stamps. See the Dangerous Goods section at fedex.com for a list of dangerous goods that are not assessed a surcharge.
FedEx Express does not accept dangerous goods shipments prepared exclusively for ground shipment.
FedEx is not required to add dry ice to packages in its system, nor to provide re-icing services.
Common Fireworks (Division 1.4 explosives) will be accepted only with prior approval from FedEx.
Lithium batteries (UN 3090) that are Primary Non-Rechargeable require pre-approval to ship. This applies both to those that are fully regulated and those that meet the definition of IATA Section II lithium batteries. For details, go to fedex.com and enter keyword "lithium batteries."
If the recipient refuses a package containing dangerous goods, or the package leaks or is damaged, it will be returned to the shipper, if possible. If the shipper refuses to accept the returned shipment, or it cannot be returned because of leakage or damage due to faulty packaging, the shipper is responsible for and agrees to reimburse and otherwise indemnify FedEx for all costs, fees and expenses it incurs in connection with the cleanup and disposal of the package. The shipper agrees to indemnify FedEx for any and all costs, fees and expenses FedEx incurs as a result of the shipper's failure to comply with FedEx Dangerous Goods shipping requirements.
We have the right to refuse any package with an odor or any package that is wet or leaking. If a dangerous goods shipment damages or contaminates any property, the shipper is solely responsible for and will reimburse and indemnify FedEx for any and all costs, fees, and expenses it incurs in connection with the cleanup of such damage or contamination.
Not all FedEx locations accept dangerous goods, and we reserve the right to refuse dangerous goods at any location where they cannot be accepted in accordance with applicable law. Dangerous goods shipments, including dry ice, are not accepted at FedEx Express Drop Box locations, FedEx Office Print and Ship Center locations, FedEx Authorized ShipCenter locations, or FedEx ShipSite locations (such as OfficeMax), except as noted below. Biological Substance, Category B (UN 3373) shipments are not accepted at FedEx Office Print and Ship Center locations, FedEx Authorized ShipCenter locations, or FedEx ShipSite locations. Biological Substance, Category B (UN 3373) shipments may be placed in FedEx Express Drop Boxes, including drop boxes located at FedEx Office Print and Ship Center locations; they are not, however, accepted at drop boxes located at FedEx ShipSite locations. FedEx Express shipments containing IATA Section II lithium batteries are accepted at FedEx Office Print and Ship Center locations and may be placed in FedEx Express Drop Boxes.
The shipper must provide all required information and complete all boxes pertaining to dangerous goods on the FedEx airbill.
Note: We are required by law to report improperly declared or undeclared shipments of dangerous goods to the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT). The shipper may be subject to fines and penalties under applicable law. The DOT/Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) requires every shipper to have job-specific dangerous goods training prior to tendering a dangerous goods shipment to FedEx or another air carrier. When individuals tender a shipment containing dangerous goods it must be properly classified, packaged, marked, labeled and identified as dangerous goods, and include the correct dangerous goods documentation.
Dangerous goods may not be rerouted to an address other than the original intended-recipient's address provided by the shipper. (Note: Shipments may be made available as hold for pickup or be returned to the sender.)
We are required to maintain proper segregation of incompatible dangerous goods on all vehicles and aircraft. This necessity may cause the shipment to move on the next available truck route or flight on which proper segregation can be maintained.
Accessible dangerous goods can be shipped via FedEx First Overnight Freight and FedEx 1Day Freight to and from primary service areas only. Inaccessible dangerous goods can be shipped via FedEx First Overnight Freight, FedEx 1Day Freight, FedEx 2Day Freight and FedEx 3Day Freight to and from primary and extended service areas. Class 7 Radioactive materials cannot be shipped using FedEx First Overnight Freight.
For more information, see the Dangerous Goods (FedEx Express) section at fedex.com/dangerousgoods. If you have questions regarding shipments of dangerous goods, you may call 1.800.GoFedEx 1.800.463.3339 and say "dangerous goods" to connect to our Dangerous Goods/Hazardous Materials Hotline for assistance

My guess it all about money. Think about it...Do you see any significant difference in packaging in loaded ammo vs primers or powder from retailers? To ship that stuff, you need a license or at least a contract which brings somebody more money. Thats why Interstate and Innerstate Commerce agreement bring so much money...license fees, contracts, etc. Boils down to nothing more than SOMEBODY making more money because politicians got together and passed laws that do NOTHING more than line peoples pockets, including themselves. MONEY BABY! BRING IT ON!

Originally Posted By: Hunter GathererOriginally Posted By: reb8600You must be licensed to ship powder or primers. opinion or fact?

I call BS

Please feel free to provide some information showing I am wrong. Like Jeff said, we have done a lot of research on this. Have you? If so please share it.

Don't mess with it, it's not worth it!

This is half of my entire world at work (HAZMAT & Customs) and the fines applicable to violation are not worth any amount of money saved. The minimum fine for a dangerous goods related violation is $45,000. These violations can arise from things as simple as filling out a form incorrectly or in the wrong order. Can you imagine what they would want to pin you with for knowingly sending class 4 substances via air?! Their fines would be significant to say the least, and I'm sure they aren't going to eat up that lost revenue without a little fight!

Shipping powder and primers is discussed in detail in a moderator post that is pinned to the start of the Classified Section of PredatorMasters.

Originally Posted By: ShynlocoMy guess it all about money. Think about it...Do you see any significant difference in packaging in loaded ammo vs primers or powder from retailers?

Personally, I think stuff that blows up should be regulated.
Just my opinion, for whatever it's worth.
thumbup1.gif

Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: ShynlocoMy guess it all about money. Think about it...Do you see any significant difference in packaging in loaded ammo vs primers or powder from retailers?

Personally, I think stuff that blows up should be regulated.
Just my opinion, for whatever it's worth.
thumbup1.gif

Permits and background checks too!!

Well if this helps at all? I called the UPS store they said they don't have anyone qualified to handle what I wanted to ship and they gave me instant referrals. I instantly called the guy they referred me to because my last resort after reading this forum was to just sell it back to anyone willing to buy and lose my money from the tax I paid. I am active military on the east coast and purchased powders on the west coast while I was on leave that are almost impossible to get on the east coast from shops that don't distribute online but always have a steady supply! They buy 4,000 lbs a month! So my natural reaction was to buy it and pay the $28.50 hazmat charge if I buy enough it is worth it. I had 12 lbs of powder and after reading forums thought it was impossible to ship it back to myself. I got in touch with the guy that was recommended and he said it was no problem! I went right to his location of business with a box and he said he has all shipping labels. He charged me less than what I thought it would be by a lot! He normally charges 20 just to ship a gun or fully loaded ammo. He insisted on charging me what it costs to ship it being active military and not a penny more. He said he would cover any cost if it was more! I naturally emailed him recently wanting to know if it was any more so I can cover the cost and I would like to pay the guy for doing me a great service! Great guy to deal with and really has best intentions in mind. He also sells guns which I am sure I will be buying my first .243 from and many more. I hope this helps but get in contact with a local gun shop and I hope you are as fortunate as I am!

Back