Best predator hunting pickup truck

J.Mark

Opinions wanted.Who makes the best half ton pickup? What make is best eating through snow,resisting rust,gas mileage,ect?

You really didn't ask this question did you?
w00t.gif

Let's see, how many model of trucks are on the market? That's how many replies you'll eventually get.

For me, it's my 1999 GMC Sierra 4x4. It has right at 194,000 miles and still going strong. It's never stranded me and runs like a top. Only problem is it sits too low and I've been know to dig out of the snow or creek a time or two.
smile.gif

I don't like IFS, so I wouldn't bother with a 1/2 ton at all. Solid front axles for me, leaving only Ford or Ram. I'm a Dodge guy, so that's the way I'd go. But definitely not with a 1/2 ton. If I had to get a little truck, I'd probably just get a Tacoma and call it good.

With most coming out with new gas and diesel engines.Ford going to aluminum body IMO it's a little risky to buy now.I'd wait and see how they hold up.Give them at least a year or two to sort out the bugs.

not a pickup at all. i hunt out of a '98 4Runner. took out one back seat, now i can fully stretch out while sleeping. all my gear is locked up and out of the weather. gets 22 miles to the gallon, has electronic locking rear differential, and is pretty quiet. I built a hitch carrier to haul dead coyotes and other bloody things.

If I had to go with a pickup, it would be a tacoma. I have been around a few dodge trucks, and they seemed tinny, same with the low end fords, chevy /gmc sit too [beeep] low. plus, i will never buy a GM product because of the bail out.

I had several chevrolets and a dodge, and drove an F150 at work.

Then I got a TUNDRA. And I will never have anything else. It's light, fast, gets good mileage and when you put a tundra in 4x4, it means it.

I've had them all, and you definitely want one.

Someone told me they were foreign made, which is strange. A little more than half the parts are made in Japan, but all assembly and inspection is done in the USA.

Great trucks and unbeatable in the half ton market. In fact, I traded a 3/4 ton Chevy for one.

The back glass either has the "beer window" or rolls down entirely, depending which model, and they have tons of AC plugs if you're a 12V light man.

Mine also has the du-ha box under the back seat for all my gear, but you can buy those for any brand I suppose.

I've had three Fords before this Chevy. The first got hit by a semi, the second sunk in a lake and the third I beat untill I hobbled it to the scrap yard.

I do really like this 98 Chevy half ton and it does well off road. If I could have two trucks it would be another 91 F250 with the 460 gas enigne, that was a fun truck.

You might want to look at a jeep. They have skid plates. Short wheel base will give you better ground clearance in difficult terrain. Fuel economy is poor though. Trucks tend to have poor fuel economy as well. Remember that the mile/gallon ratio advertised is BS as well. I have a f150 reg cab with the v6 and I seem to get as bad mileage as the v8 extended cab.

My current vehicle is a chevy avalanche Z71. It's replacing a Jeep Cherokee. It's nice to have a full size pickup type vehicle again. The jeep was very capable off road but was a bit small for me. Great gas mileage with the 5 speed manual but didn't have the power needed.
The Chevy gets about 18 mpg on the freeway and does ok around town. I have to lift it a bit and put something other than the Michelin M+S tires on it. They don't work well in mud or snow.

Out of all the new gas trucks on the market now I think I would go with either the Ford or the Toyota. Dodge has the new Eco diesel that is selling pretty well. It's getting around 30mpg. Same motor that they have been putting in the Grand Cherokee for the last several years. Toyota has claimed that they are going to put a Cummings motor in their truck. Not sure when that's going to happen though.

93 Honda civic. Awesome mileage quiet, only need a small dip to hide it plenty of trunk space for gear or dead stuff, 350+ miles to a tank of fuel and it's old enough and ugly enough that a little dirt blood mud crap dents and scratches won't bother it or me. I used to have an 04 f150 but one trip to the hunting grounds and it needed another 75 bucks to keep going. Now I put 20 in and I'm good for a weekend or longer.

Have a GMC right now, last two were Dodge, then GM back to 82, then a 75 Dodge Ram Charger.
Always USA trucks. Most days when I head out I pass the home of a 95yo Pearl Harbor Vet. Just wouldn't feel right.

Originally Posted By: J.MarkOpinions wanted.Who makes the best half ton pickup? What make is best eating through snow,resisting rust,gas mileage,ect?
They will all do what you ask. There is no BEST with the current trucks.
They will all get stuck after a certain point.
Just add a winch and you wont need to have a worry...as long as you have a winch anchor that is.
The BEST were the 85 Toyota 4runners/pickups w/EFI though.

I have had 5 z71 chevs. Great ride, quiet but since 98 the mileage has declined alot.The 98 got 15.5 on short trips in winter,the 08 got 11.5 and the 2011 I have now gets 12.5.Highway driving I get 14 to 19 with an average around 16.The 26 gal. gas tank will leave you empty out in nowhere land winter hunting in snow were youl get 11 mpg. average so you better bring extra cans.I hate that small gas tank.I dont know what i am going to do.Have friends who switched to ford after the bail out and they like them.Man we use to go through more snow than most would believe.You need 235 snow tires and the no how of what a 4x4 is really capable of,and of course a couple of good shovels and a strong back for when things go wrong.I have spent 5 hours digging out when others would off started walking.Its a good feeling to get yourself out of a mess like that.One time I miss judged a drifts size and ended up 20 yards in,on top with frame fully engaged.We dug under the truck leaving the wheels undug.you could walk under the truck on your knees head up.Then we dug the whole road back 20 yards and then knocked the snow under the wheels till the truck fell into the hole and drove away.Those were the days up in N.E.North Dakota when fox were thick and we were young enough to push a vehicle for all it was worth.In those days it was Chevy all the way.

Back