Tipped SMK's...!?

Great replys guys. Love the pics too John. I notice the optic in the last pic is a bit bigger too...

Great pics/info too on the jacket thicknesses Simojo--very interesting. I'd bet money that this bullet will provide as good a terminal effect at distance as well as anything else out there.

Originally Posted By: esorensenI would like to see prices more along the lines of red box bullets, as opposed to yellow box bullets.
That would be nice too! My wallet could use a bit less terminal effect.

Originally Posted By: esorensenI would like to see prices more along the lines of red box bullets, as opposed to yellow box bullets.

70gr AMAX optimized for magazine feed anyone?
laugh.gif

I would give a box or 10 a try.

Interesting you should mention that John--i was thinking just today about a magazine length A-Max, but i was thinking 60 grains or so would net me the range i'd like and oughtta' gain a bit more powder capacity with the bullet seated closer to neck/shoulder junction...?

Man, just when I thought I was gonna use the 65gr Sierra as a do all bullet the tipped Matchkings come along. I take it these do fit the mag length?

Originally Posted By: sscoyoteInteresting you should mention that John--i was thinking just today about a magazine length A-Max, but i was thinking 60 grains or so would net me the range i'd like and oughtta' gain a bit more powder capacity with the bullet seated closer to neck/shoulder junction...?

Why not both?
grin.gif

As a side note I have been using some of the ASC stainless steel mags that allow a 2.300 OAL. The website says the mags are 2.316 +- 0.002 but I have some that are only 2.300. Still about 0.045 longer than PMAGS or Mil Spec.

The mags are good quality and not expensive.

John--take a look at these. I'm going to try the 69 in both. The bottom one is the old single-stacked VLD magazine that allows for 2.45 I think it is, and it works with a little tweaking to the feed lips/spring.--

The bullets I was shooting in this rig at the time were the old JLK 65 Low Drag with a BC of .4, but they're just like many long ogive small meplat match bullets--they didn't open up reliably on critters.

75 A-Max seats almost perfectly just below the N/S junction at "VLD magazine length"--

I think the guy that made these for DPMS died, and I can't get anyone to pick up on them again. I think they do have some limited application for longer range hunting/target. Even tried Robert Whitley at www.6mmar.com to give them a try to no avail. Often thought that it would have some long-range applications out of his 22 Beast?

Last edited:
I have heard of the DPMS VLD mags but never used one.

The new 77gr TMK has, according to Sierra, a slightly better BC than the 75 AMAX and will work in conventional mags so that puts some damper on a specialty mag.

Also I have a new barrel chambered in a 22 cal based on the 6.5 Grendel case and am getting 3000fps from the 75gr AMAX in 18 inches. Lots of room with that case for VLD type bullets in standard length mags.

Interesting mag design but advances in bullets and cartridges might bring equivalent or better performance with more standard mag types.

Do you still have any of those mags and were they as reliable as standard Mil Spec mags? Would the bolt lock back on the last round?

I think the bolt does lock back on it, but it does require a special bolt stop that must be installed too. I mentioned it since you said you were already using a magazine that I assume is also a bit unconventional, though I must admit this definitely takes it to an extreme, huh? I love doing things unconventionally--HA! I have thought of getting a bigger case capacity cartridge chambered in the 22-6.5 Grendel or maybe even the BR case. I wonder how they stack up to the 22 Beast they advertise at Whitley's site? Do you know?

The 2 I have are different, though both work as a single-stacked system. The DPMS has worked great for me. The other LRP VLD magazine I think it is has not been reworked or "tweaked" at all. The only problem I have is if I don't keep the bolt or chamber clean/lubed, but I think it has more to do with this straighter-walled AI case than anything else.

Was looking at the 69 TMK and the 53 V-Max, both bullets pretty much maximized for BC (.375 and .29 respectively). Would love to see a "60 AR A-Max", with bullet right between the 2 and BC of about .33ish+. Would fit std. magazines well enough impinging on case capacity just a bit. Bet it'd net 600+/-? I wonder what it takes to convince a bullet maker to try something new?

They could just redesign the 60 Vmax with a more bc oriented design.

I haven't been able to shoot the Tmks because the weather has been so awful around here lately. I do have some loaded up I'm trying to go shoot tomorrow

Last edited:
dido, may get to the public range today, first chance in more than a week due to wx.
Have some STMKs 69 gr loaded in cheap brass over 8208, WSR, 2.250" OAL

update: range was closed for maintenance Mar 7-9th !!!*$&*^&$*$&$#$#!!!!!
(those are the nicest wx days in forever)

Here's todays shots with STMK 69 gr, 8208 xbr, WSR, cheap brass, OAL 2.250.
Used an AR 20" GM barrel, burris 3x9-50, BTE trigger..
got it done before the rain started up, again..
tried 23.4, 23.8, and 24.2 grains, primers and ends looked ok.
got some shoulder dings on the 24.2..
159412641.PqlOXv9Z.jpg

159412646.6TkgLOKG.jpg

No, that's why the pic. Thanks for the comment, it just doesn't look right.
All todays cases have a dent to some degree, and the pic shows the worst, and they were at max loads.
In the past, few cases had that, but there were a few.

Back