Called in 9 coyotes only killed 1

dustinyotes

It is kind of my birthday today, I was born on February 29th so today is as close as I get to my birthday most years. My wife asked me yesterday what I wanted to do and I said "let's go coyote hunting" and she said "sounds fun" so this morning we headed out to see what we could find.

I also brought my dog Jo, she has decoyed a few coyotes and I wanted to see if I could get her on some more coyotes. Our first stand was no good other than 20 or so deer so we headed to a spot that I called in a coyote for my daughter a couple weeks ago.

This was our view

I started with a howl and immediately got two answers, one to our left and one way out in front of us in the CRP. The coyote to our left ran out and joined the coyote in the CRP and the both of them headed out of the country with me trying everything I could to get them to come back. After they were out of sight I started playing coyote pup distress on the Foxpro and saw coyotes heading our way following the same path the other two had left. We had five coyotes running our way single file through the CRP. I really wanted my wife to get a shot but as the lead coyote got to about 100 yards away her rifle fell off of her shooting sticks and spooked the coyote. I waited until the coyote stopped and looked back and dropped it with my 220 Swift. Jo was just out of sight of the coyotes and ran over and found the dead coyote and then came to us. She has never been aggressive toward coyotes but as soon as I touched the coyote with my foot she tore into it and chewed on it for the next several minutes.

Our next stand we set up over looking a brushy canyon and after the first howl I saw four coyotes headed our way, when they slowed up I switched to coyote pup distress and they came running. We lost sight of the coyotes in the brush and when they showed up again the lead coyote stopped about 20 feet from us but there was a large sage brush blocking my wife's view and she told me to shoot. I centered the cross hairs on the coyotes chest and squeezed the trigger but someone forgot to take off the safety. The coyote spooked and I took one shot as it bounced through the sage brush but missed. My dog Jo was again in the wrong place and missed all the action.

All together it was a great morning with my best friend and my dog.

Last edited by a moderator:
That sounds like a great birthday present for anyone to have. Your wife hunts, a dog, shots were fired and mistakes where made. You did it all in one hunt. What a morning!! Congrats and happy birthday.

thumbup.gif
Happy birthday and a great way to spend it.

Originally Posted By: borkona couple more kills would have been nice but you can't beat a day like that.

I'll second that, congrats on a great day and Happy Birthday.!!

Thanks for the kind comments, it was definitely a great way to spend the day. I also think my wife may be hooked, she wants to know when we are going to go again.

Back