Why you bring two guns...

realhunter

Today I thought I'd try some "bigwoods" Canis latrans'...

Single best coyote hunting experience (for me)

I set up at approx 7:30am... Overlooking a large area (150 acres) that had been logged in a huge block of timber. (50,000 acres +)

8wk22v.jpg

I propped up against a large tree and had good concealment, but not a lot of shooting lanes
thumbdown.gif
Trudging through the snow sucked, so I made due with what I had.

So I start with female howls & then male howls... greeting howls, TT bachelor male, & alternated through these about every 5 min for approx 30 min...

I catch movement in the bottom, here comes a group of three. I pressed stop on the e-caller. they slowly close the distance coming up the hill to me. 200 yds, now 100yds, now they're under my gun line
unsure.gif
One crests the lil ridge at 50yds - crap too thick - his buddy joins him - still no shot - I have a small opening at the chest of the first one - crack with the 22 WMR... whizzz' ricochet (limb) runs 10 feet stops, put one right in the back of the grape' - plop
tongue_smilie.gif

2lc5jye.jpg

Now I'm fumbling with call (40 sec)... Pup distress (is on)-
finally. Hear something directly behind me 20 feet maybe... its the third - it had looped me... I drop the 22 Mag & grab the Mossberg 835 stand up to clear brush - coyote bolts - "Boom" cartwheel! whooo hooo...

2j32l3m.jpg

One gets away...

Meanwhile this has another group fired up that's behind me & they are ticked... barks, howls & all kinds of growls n aggression. I cant get them to come in, they were down wind.

Not a bad couple days...

205wjt0.jpg

Originally Posted By: Sierra_HunterNice work. I would like to get a shot gun for calling. What kind of ammo did you use?

Had to use rim fire & or shotgun where I was at...

Modified choke, Hornady 3" lead BB

22 WMR was the 33 gr remington premier

Nice , even the extra work pay off , I two carry both rifle/shotgun ,after loosen one to only one I make the effort to carry both

Originally Posted By: Rhett SteeleGood job Kyle. Had a big timber dog myself yesterday at the house. 17wsm got to perform.

Rhett, I've burnt a bunch of boot leather, but it's been a good month or so!

Very nice outcome. I had one come in so close it kicked dirt on me trying to get away. I had no shot with my rifle and wished I had a shotgun.

Back