AR-15 ammo ban coming

I think the media may have this wrong. from my understanding its only for m855 ammo. which I personally never shoot because there is more accurate stuff for cheaper out there. however the effect is going to be nearly the same. because its going to kick off another panic round of buying and hoarding.

from my understanding and someone JUMP in if I am wrong. what they are claiming is that m855 meets the criteria for amour piercing ammo. even though its pretty much run of the mill FMJ ammo just like most other stuff out there.

The ammo in question is the M855. Or as it is commonly called ( Green Tip ). It has a steel wire built into the bullet and was designed to penetrate Body armor. It is not armor piercing. It is also probably one of the worst bullets the military uses in terms of accuracy.
I hate to see any bans on any ammunition. I also don't agree with the way it is being pushed through the ATF, but the only real effect this would have to the average shooter is the supply of good brass ( Lake City ) that can be picked up for a decent price.

Call me a skeptic.. But if you think it's just bulk M885 ammo, you are just lying to yourself.

What makes you think or confident that it's only that bullet??

Really??

IF they can decide to ban or block one round, what makes you think they won't just add others to that list..
Remember that the entire goal is to take away the guns, tax the bullets and eventually ban them at all. They don't like guns at all and want to take them away.
For me this comes back to those that don't realize they are the frog in the pot that is being slow boiled..
I will fight back against all attempts to limit guns, or hunting. Regaurdless of what kind of hunting and how.

From what I have read it is starting with the M855 ammo because it can be shot out of pistol type guns and it will defeat body armor. But I would guess that this is just a starting point because any 223 ammo that is shot out of pistol type weapons will still defeat the popo's body armor. So if this is pasted not only will it make good quality brass harder to find but what will be next.

I have tested the miltary body armor with point blank plates.

They stop the green tips. (barely)
They don't stop anything moving faster, or most hunting rifles above a 30-30

243 right through with a deer round, we tried several, and all went through
270, and 7mm Mag, right through
300 winmag with a 180gr sp, almost went through both sides.

22-250 with a HP and a 50gr Vmax went right through.

All shots were at 100yrds. So if the reason is that it's something that will go through body armor as the excuse, there isn't a lot that doesn't do that, that is common and widely used.

Think about that.. Its a widely used, even the liberals admit that it's the most common, so they are going to ban it.. Never mind making the killing of a police officer a death penalty crime to deter people from shooting at the cops. The arguement is a straw man. How many police were shot and killed with m885 ammo? Less than were killed by drunk drivers (i would bet) or by any other host of reasons. The goal is to take away guns. So they came up with an excuse to take a bite out of the most common "scarry" gun they can.

Originally Posted By: Tbone-AZCall me a skeptic.. But if you think it's just bulk M885 ammo, you are just lying to yourself.

Really??

IF they can decide to ban or block one round, what makes you think they won't just add others to that list..
Remember that the entire goal is to take away the guns, tax the bullets and eventually ban them at all. They don't like guns at all and want to take them away.
For me this comes back to those that don't realize they are the frog in the pot that is being slow boiled..
I will fight back against all attempts to limit guns, or hunting. Regaurdless of what kind of hunting and how.

I think you nailed it Tbone!! This is just the camels nose under the tent...If they get this they will just change the wording to include your Vamxs and etc.!!

It's starting with M855 because that's one of the only bullets the government has control of. All the Lake City ammo is surplus. The Lake City plant is owned by the DOD.
The best we can hope for now is that a few congressmen can get enough support to stop King Obama

Irregardless, today I'm a buyer.
and dang it, I just spent good money on the Foxpro crossfire to. Wasn't planning on bulking up on ammo.....grrrr

Last edited:
Folks ,

Lets STOP here and look back . 1968 Gun Control Act- just stop the mail order and importation of CHEAP hand guns -like the PPK just to start-no handguns purchased out of state . We bought it . Next is a LONG list -instant background checks -assault guns bill NOT HANDGUNS NOW these babies look mean and have a very low usage in crime but were going to get them -arbitrary importing of SPORTING PURPOSE only guns -now ammo bans . THIS IS JUST THE FEDERAL LEVEL . Northeastern states are hammered with restrictions .
So now you've stopped and listened to an old man , make up your own mind . Have YOU got time to call or write your representatives ?
Semper Fi,
SOUP

Hopefully cooler heads wil prevail on this matter. Yes I do agree with the camels nose under the tent. Hopefully this isn't a slow start to other bannings. I don't the green tips but a lot do. We as gun owners seem(are) the latest whipping boy for all with an agenda. We are an easy target!!!! The libtards are going crazy.

Originally Posted By: Tbone-AZCall me a skeptic.. But if you think it's just bulk M885 ammo, you are just lying to yourself.

Really??

+1!

Back