PS 24 performance tonight

Sledge

Hello all. I recently purchased a PS 24 from a very nice gentleman here on the site. I've only had it out a couple of times since I got it. Tonight I took it out and actually managed to call in a coyote. We have about 4" of snow on the ground and the temp was about 5* F. The sun was out all day warming up the trees and such. I actually saw the dog without the thermal first at a little over 200 yards. So I pulled up the 24 to see how he looked through it. On white hot, I could barely make him out, there were some trees behind him and he didn't stick out too well against them. Results were pretty much the same on black hot. I didn't have time to try the instalert as he was getting to my sent cone and I shot him before that could happen. This is my first thermal so my experience with them is about 2 hours worth, but I would have thought that he would have stood out against the snow cover better. Actually, I figured he would kind of jump out at me. I realize that they'll work better or worse in certain conditions, I just figured that these would have been among the most favorable. What say you more experienced fellows?

Thanks,
Steve.

i think instalert will work better for you, it does for me. Its tough to tell what signatures are a ways out but it will definitely let you know that something is there.

I had been using the first level of instalert but the tree line behind where he came out was glowing red so I switched to white hot. I realize I'm a complete noob with this and that I'm using entry level stuff, but I figured at 200 yards that animals would stand out a little better through it. Maybe I'm asking too much at this level.

If your having trouble with the trees and such glowing red on the first instalert setting, try moving the flir down the horizon more. So the bottom of the trees are in the top of the screen. I just got a ps32 a month or so ago but this has worked for me. Once you get used to it you will love it.

Last edited:
Sledge
Just keep using it and get used to it, that is the only weakness of the tool when you cant use the Insta alert, because of conditions,and have to go to white hot. As you get used to it you will be able to tell what is what, especially against wood lines and brush, even with snow the conventional NV, you cant pick out the dog...
Last night I was ready to give up and go home, I saw a coyote on the FLIR that I could not see in the scope, I moved to higher ground and sure enough, there he was, then I saw two more that I would not have seen..Keep in mind I had a 3/4 moon and tons of snow,if not for the FLIR I would have gone home, instead I got two...

Yes, keep using it under all different kinds of conditions weather wise, you will learn how to use it over time. The #3 and #4 InstaAlert are for when it is foggy or raining or super humid only...

Thanks a lot guys. Yeah, I'm sure it's just a learning curve. I was pretty aggravated though when I could pick him up with my eyes and not so good with the thermal. The big moon helped a lot with that though.
Could I expect better results under the same conditions only after a cloudy day instead of after a sunny day?

It is more difficult after a no sun cloudy day as the objects in the environment never picked up enough heat to give off good thermal emissions above and beyond the ambient environment temps, however any mammal will stand out like a sore thumb even more so since they are hot.

Thermal emissions also change throughout the day and night as midwave IR is being emitted back into the atmosphere.

Thermal%20Diuranal%20Cycle.jpg

It's not just yours op. Thermals suck in conditions just like you describe. When air temp is single digits it seems nearly everything is warmer than the ambient temp and really makes the thermal clutter and struggle. The 20f and up will absolutely rock. That ultra cold sucks.

Originally Posted By: Spartan1It's not just yours op. Thermals suck in conditions just like you describe. When air temp is single digits it seems nearly everything is warmer than the ambient temp and really makes the thermal clutter and struggle. The 20f and up will absolutely rock. That ultra cold sucks.
Yep. Image gets really foggy. I was out last night in -7 temps. Thermal does not work well when it's that cold.

Back