New Archer here

NorthBorder

When I was about 6 I got my first bow, one of those fiberglass bows with a 25# pull. Oddly enough, over 50 years later I still have it. In the early 80's I bought a PSE compound bow kit and finished it. I never really attained much proficiency. So, now I would really like to start over. My eyesight is such that looking thru the rear sight at the pins on a compound bow lets me see 8 pins when there are only 4. Cutting to the chase... I would like to start with a recurve and learn to hunt. In about the $300 range what would be a good bow, take down or single unit? I can draw and shoot at about 55# and my draw length was measured today at 28 1/2 inches.
Thanks

I hear good things about the Samick Sage recurves.I would go with a takedown so you can gradually build up the draw weight.I still have my first bow.I got it when I was 10 yrs old.An Indian all yellow glass with gray plastic handle.Three Rivers Archery has a good selection of low cost bows and all the other stuff.
http://search.3riversarchery.com/buy/bows

take a look at 3rivers archery. They have a good selection of bows to browse. I'm a new archer as well and googled a lot of stuff. Archerytalk was a site I got a lot of answers.

I think Bernie P must be right! I have several guys that come in to the shop that shoot very expensive custom bows and I've heard them recommend the sammik bows to several new traditional shooters. They say that they shoot way above their cost.
The Sage is only about $135.00, that would allow you to buy arrows, arm guard and tab all for your $300.00 budget.

Thanks, so far. I have been looking at 3rivers archery. I want a bow that I can practice with and eventually use on an elk hunt. Do you think the Sage is up to that? It is not necessarily a "get what you pay for" kinda thing? 3rivers indicates it can be had for lefties, that's good because shooting a bow is the only thing I do left handed. What arrow rest is recommended? I really appreciate the responses.

As far as being good for elk goes it's the same as with guns.Shot placement job one!You'll want a good sharp broadhead on an arrow with some weight behind it.IMO You cant beat the tried and true 2 blade trad heads like Zwickey or Magnus.If you can shoot 55lbs well that's good for anything in N America.Matching the arrow spine is crucial for good flight/penatration.I prefer shooting off the shelf vs using a an elevated rest.The Sage is more than capable of getting it done but dont expect the finnish to be as refined as a custom bow.

Thanks again Bernie. I just can't find any negative about the Sage other than blemishes in finish. I'm sold, except that I think I will get 50# limbs or even 45# limbs at first so I can put in the shooting time with a little more ease and comfort.

Since this old thread is still up near the top I thought I would update. I ended up buying a Martin Jaguar take down. I am happy with that. Then... a friend got into a little hot water with his missus when he bought new bow for around $600. So to mitigate his dilemma he sold me his Bear Strike for $150. A great bow for the price. Both are right handed and I am picking it up handily, if I may say so myself.

Glad to hear things are going smooth.I placed an order for a new longbow a couple weeks ago.Due to a little backlog on his bows I wont be getting it till mid summer.I've been wanting one of James bows for a while so when I saw he was finaly taking orders again I jumped on it.Havent made up my mind which one but I've narrowed it down to either the Taipan or Argos.JD Berry bows-
http://www.jdberryarchery.com

Back