BIG Game Trophies

Thanks DR. I know most sons think their dads are exceptional people, but he truely was. Many, many people have told me so. I can only hope to be half the man he was.
This is a pic of his first antelope hunt and last hunt of his life. My youngest daughter who is now 19 and myself. 06-07
His only grandchild that ever got to hunt with him. Never could get him to wear Camo.
Sorry for the high jack.
DadAshleyantelope9-2-6.jpg

Dadmeantelope9-2-06.jpg

K, those r the best ones... When the young ones take em it means so much more...

Cs, it ain't no hijack... Proudest... I know what u mean your dad... Thanks for sharing that...

Crittr, wow... That warthog is sick.... I don't know much about them but the tusks look worn, like he is very mature... Sure it made a bada$$ mount...

This is my trophy.

I was out with my best friend and father in-law pheasant hunting. He suggested we bring along a rifle because he had saw some deer in the area. This buck jumped up five feet from me, scaring the holy crap out of me.

I will play! Here is my biggest muley buck on the left taken while hunting with my good friend! First time he and I had hunted together with the same tag at the same time!

Then this was my bull last year! Biggest typical I have shot. OTC public land in CO! Shot at 3 yards with my wife calling! Bow shot!

Here is my oldest buck to date, probably oldest ever! He was spot and stalk in wide open country with my bow!

I also have the lion in my avatar shot at 9 steps! Called in using hand calls!

And a bear that I need to get pics of!

Originally Posted By: rhinosparkyThis is my trophy.

I was out with my best friend and father in-law pheasant hunting. He suggested we bring along a rifle because he had saw some deer in the area. This buck jumped up five feet from me, scaring the holy crap out of me.

That sure is unique.

This picture has been posted befoe but here's the story behind it.

In 2005 I decided to go back home and deer hunt with my family and didn't have a mid sized deer rifle having sold my 250-3000 the year befor. The 257 Kimber peeked my interest but 222 Rem Mag brass was getting difficult to find and it takes some serious forming to make 257 Kimber brass. Looking around and studying cartridge I realized that the newly introduced 204 Ruger case had nearly the same capacity as the 257 K. and it would only take a simple neck up. Trying to keep this rig costing less than a factory rifle I called PacNor and asked if the could make me a barrel chamberring it with a 204 Ruger reamer with a .257 pilot and cutting the neck and throat in a separate operation, bingo I had a barrel being made without having to invest in a custom reamer and they did it for just the cost of the standard barrel. I made up a couple of dummy cartridges and Hornady made me a custom FL die w/tapered expander that will take 204 to 257 in one pass with little loss. I already had a Hornady seater for my 250-3000. Everything came together and exceeded my expectations with 100gr Nosler partitions running 2800+ fps matching the original 250-3000 factory loading and accurate to boot.

As far as I know this was the first 25-204 built and this is the first deer taken with one and he put the cartridge to the test as he is one of the largest (body wise) taken in NW WI. Nice way to christen a new rifle and cartridge. This is the last deer I've killed but the rifle makes a pretty good coyote gun running 75gr bullets at 3150fps. Since building this I've built rifles in 22-204 and 6mm-204 and currently hunt with out preforming the 223AI and 6x45/47mm's.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rhinosparkyThis is my trophy.

Obviously a wino, pen raised deer that was fed a steady diet of Mogen David Wine. Otherwise why would he be packin' all those corkscrews around?
wink.gif

Seriously, that is an interesting buck!

Regards,
hm

That is an impressive bunch of bucks, Jeremy, especially the 179. Split brow tines always have interested me, to boot.

Lots of nice trophy pictures above, representing many great memories which I guarantee will be treasured even more as the years pass.

Some of my favorite (if not trophy) deer hunting shots are:

My son at age 8, "hunting" deer with his brand new 6mm Rem. custom rifle that I built for him on a 98 Mauser action (sorry for poor quality of photo, it is 47 years old.) :

What a difference a year makes.....son's first buck w/his (now year old) Mauser:

My Grandson and granddaughter with that same rifle I built for their dad with grandson's first javelina:

And Grandson's first buck, same rifle:

Above pictures are much more meaningful than my best buck, probably the last one I'll take, which measured 169 7/8:

Treasure the times spent hunting with your kids and grandkids, they grow up way too fast!

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: hm1996You didn't get those monsters near cheyene, did ya Indy?
wink.gif
lol.gif

Regards,
hm

Remember all those pet gators that got flushed in the 80's?
laugh.gif

I'm still waiting for the taxi to finish up the one in the first pic. I'm going again in a couple weeks. The in-laws are taking the kids to disneyworld and I'm being forced to go as well. I told my wife, a week at Disney... I'm going to have to kill something by the end of that
laugh.gif
I went/going out with nuisance trappers, had 1 [beeep] of a time. The BIG guy we got by airboat on lake something or other. It was a decent time, expensive though. When his head broke water it looked like a full size suitcase with teeth, and he was PISSED. Took 3 of us to fight him into the boat.

The in town stuff, I'd do it every weekend if I could. Just fun and fairly inexpensive. I recommend it if you end up in Florida, my contact is in the Kissemme area.

Both of the big ones had set up residence on peoples back porches, little different than being annoyed at the antelope in the road!

You use fishing poles to fight them to the shore and take them alive to the truck, F'ing crazy.

Lot of cool pics and stories!

Not my biggest, not even mine but I'm super proud of my wife and her first elk. She did not grow up in a hunting family (Dad died young) and doesn't really care for shooting but recently she told me she wanted to shoot an elk. I told her I wouldn't take her if she couldn't shoot and she agreed to practice. Last year she drew a deer tag instead of elk and she shot small buck opening morning. She didn't have to hunt for that one. I'm more proud of her elk. She put trigger time in before the hunt, we had a really hard first day and she nutted up for day two, spotted these elk early day 2 and settled down and made a good shot on this cow. Must have deflected on a rib, entrance was in the leg crease behind the shoulder and it only went a few yards.

The trophy I'm most proud of is the lion I just got in February. Lions are classified big game animals in AZ. Had my little girls with me and my oldest spotted it coming in.

Blanket calling setup:

My best buck, got him from the road. Good buck but I'm more proud of others. Didn't have to hunt for him but love having him on the wall! 101" gross coues whitetail:

Last edited:
Back