6.8 spc

Brownie

6.8 yay or nay? don't know much about the 6.8 but I was looking at hornady ballistics and it says it drops 60something Inches at 500 with 120 gr sst With a 200 yard zero? Seems like alot. Mostly be used for coyotes is it good or bad for them. Seems a bit underpowered for long range. Am I wrong?

I have one I put together on a PSA 18" upper and a SA&A lower. I haven't had a great opportunity to put it thru its paces. I just started loading for it so I hope to, soon. The internet gurus seem to believe it is equal to the 6.5G out to about 300 yards an then the 6.5 begins to outpace it. There is a lot of support for it. 6.8Forum is extremely helpful.

Hits twice as hard as a 223rem, anchors coyotes well. Don't hit anything hard with the 120SST and you'll be alright.

My experience with the 6.5 Grendel and the 6.8SPC hasn't been so markedly different that I'd call one a long range option and say the other is not. The drop at 600yrds isn't so much more for the 6.8spc than the 6.5 that it's unmanageable.

If you're purely reloading, flip a coin. If you might ever find yourself shooting factory ammo, the 6.8spc has a distinct advantage.

If you use a Mark Ar scope for $50 they will make you a CDS dial for the barrel length and bullet takes a lot of guess work out of it.

I was once in the same boat as you. Hop over to 68forums.com and snoop around. Is it biased? Yes, but there is a lot of well educated 6.8 guys over there that can answer any question you might have. I would also suggest ar15performance.com for barrels and bolts. H (constructor on 68) has his barrels and parts dialed in and is very knowledgeable. Between PM and 68forums.com I can go into information overload. Just my $.02

If you want a 6.8 the BHW barrels from them or built up by Ritch is the way to go. The good thing is they actually are obtainable. No waiting around for a year or more on many occasions and then buying what is available in limited quanites produced by an unknown barrel maker.

Match grade accuracy with known production procesing goes with it. Choices of finish, gas length, profile and crown are what custom is all about. Why waste time on a third party vendor whnen you can get real quaility and know it will be backed up by the manufacturer and the builder.

After shooting literally thosuands of rounds of 6.8's and variants from mild to way over the top King Kong Kilers we have never suffered a broken bolt using off the shelf suppliers using Carpenter 158. No reason to fix what doesn't break.

Greg

What do most people run length wise on their 6.8 barrels. I have heard longer is not nessecarily better in this caliber. Currently I am thinking 18"-20" is what I am going to build.

Originally Posted By: kldad73What do most people run length wise on their 6.8 barrels. I have heard longer is not nessecarily better in this caliber. Currently I am thinking 18"-20" is what I am going to build.

Lotsof 16" and 18" out there. Contrary to popular believe you do gain usable velocity with a bit more barrel. I like 20" as a nice length. 22" is pretty maximized due to the small case capacity. I don't see a 24" being of any real benefit.

Greg

I am putting a 18" White oak armament barrel together now the caliber was designed for 16" but I wanted that little extra velocity. I built a guy a 20" White oak armament and it would shoot better a 300 yards than a 16" did the bullet on the 16" dropped 3" more.

Thanks for the fear back GL and Bryan. I am thinking The 20 might be the length I will go with.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kldad73Thanks for the fear back GL and Bryan. I am thinking The 20 might be the length I will go with.

Good choice IMHO.

Greg

After researching a lot of different load data, I settled upon 18" for my new 6.8. I had a 16" SPC I, but wasn't too impressed with what the original specs could do, so I sold it off. Now I'm seeing SPC II's out there doing considerably more. I decided upon 18" because I knew I didn't want longer than 20", but I saw data that I considered to be reliable suggesting only 15-30fps difference per inch between 18" and 20" and I knew that I wanted a brake on this one. Ultimately, I'll have a 20" nose sticking out, with 18" velocity, still pushing a couple hundred feet per second faster than my old 6.8spc.

Then again, I suppose some will accuse me of crippling my new 204 Ruger barrel too, since I only bought it in 22". Stuff has to be portable after all...

I have a 6.8 SPC with a 20 inch Bison barrel. I've shot 90 to 110 grain bullets in it, and everything I've tried works good. I've killed both deer and coyotes with it, and if you like AR type rifles, I feel as if it's an excellent choice. I don't shoot mine much, as I prefer bolt action rifles, and think that there are better choices available.

Back