Leupold vs Vortex Viper

Thanks Everyone. I hate to say this but I went in a totally different direction. A friend of Mine showed me his Burris Veracity 2-10. Didnt even know about this scope. I really liked it. Did some research on here and found positive comments about it and my Buddy loves his. As a Hunter Safety instructor get a discount off MSRP. I ordered a 4-20X50. Should get it 1st on March. Thanks for all the info.

Quote:I'd pick the Leupold every time and own both.

X2. IMO Vortex glass leaves a lot to be desired. Side by side shooting a Viper HS-LR equiped rifle and a Nikon Prostaff equiped rifle a Nikon Prostaff was better optically and had a LOT less lens flare from the sun than the Viper HS-LR did.

I've owned 2 Vortex scopes for less than 1 week and hated both of them. Vortex scopes don't compare to Leupold VX-2s and 3s for lens quality, contrast & resolution.

I think it's funny how some people get offended by someone saying vortex is better than leupold. It all boils down to personal preference. I've owned vx-3's in the past. Not vx-III or var x but vx-3. I mainly shoot long range 1000 yrds plus. Now comparing a regular vortex viper PA to a leupold you have an argument in glass comparison, but look through a viper HS LR in first focal plane that you can have for well under $1,000 then tell me how much better leupold glass is. Cause it's not!!! How much does a leupold cost in a first focal plane model??? Double what a vortex does!!! Is the leupold better in ffp than vortex? I would hope so for twice the price!!! I feel spending the same amount of money you get a better scope to suit your personal needs with vortex than you do with leupolds. I'm not saying leupolds aren't good scopes, but I am saying I've sold every leupold I own and am now a vortex man!!!

Originally Posted By: Jabey9210I think it's funny how some people get offended by someone saying vortex is better than leupold. It all boils down to personal preference. I've owned vx-3's in the past. Not vx-III or var x but vx-3. I mainly shoot long range 1000 yrds plus. Now comparing a regular vortex viper PA to a leupold you have an argument in glass comparison, but look through a viper HS LR in first focal plane that you can have for well under $1,000 then tell me how much better leupold glass is. Cause it's not!!! How much does a leupold cost in a first focal plane model??? Double what a vortex does!!! Is the leupold better in ffp than vortex? I would hope so for twice the price!!! I feel spending the same amount of money you get a better scope to suit your personal needs with vortex than you do with leupolds. I'm not saying leupolds aren't good scopes, but I am saying I've sold every leupold I own and am now a vortex man!!!

Obviously... drunk on the Vortex kool aid.

I don't own a vortex but I have shot a rifle with a higher end vortex on it and it wasn't what I expected. We were night calling varmints and I couldn't see a thing using the spot light. I climbed down and got my rifle with a redfield revolution on it and I couldn't believe the difference in the $200 scope vs the $600+ dollar scope bright as day with the Redfield. I own Redfields ,Leupolds and I have one Minox left. I am looking for a new scope and I'm leaning towards a swfa ss 3-15x42. I judge a scope a lot by how it does at night under a spot light. I've heard good things about the SS line of scopes.

Originally Posted By: FurhunterOriginally Posted By: Jabey9210I think it's funny how some people get offended by someone saying vortex is better than leupold. It all boils down to personal preference. I've owned vx-3's in the past. Not vx-III or var x but vx-3. I mainly shoot long range 1000 yrds plus. Now comparing a regular vortex viper PA to a leupold you have an argument in glass comparison, but look through a viper HS LR in first focal plane that you can have for well under $1,000 then tell me how much better leupold glass is. Cause it's not!!! How much does a leupold cost in a first focal plane model??? Double what a vortex does!!! Is the leupold better in ffp than vortex? I would hope so for twice the price!!! I feel spending the same amount of money you get a better scope to suit your personal needs with vortex than you do with leupolds. I'm not saying leupolds aren't good scopes, but I am saying I've sold every leupold I own and am now a vortex man!!!

Obviously... drunk on the Vortex kool aid.

Yep!!!!

Originally Posted By: Jabey9210That I am but it tastes good to me!!!!

Wait till the hangover kicks in.. It won't taste so good then.

I can't even count the number of guys on this site along with a few fellow shooters I know who liked them so much.. Chit they were the end all of scopes, the greatest thing to come down the road since you know who walked on water..... Oh all you keep hearing about is the incredible VIP warranty... (Ground breaking! Like no one else has a lifetime warranty LOL) its a great sales pitch, I envision the sham wow guy behind the scope counter when a new Vortex fan is born!

Now, those same guys have shot them for a while and are in a spot. They hate'm and the resale on them is so bad they have to almost give them away so they can go out and replace them with decent glass.

Vortex..... Been there, done that, (3 times which is really embarrassing to admit) got the T-shirt and wished I hadn't...

Originally Posted By: FurhunterOriginally Posted By: Jabey9210That I am but it tastes good to me!!!!

Wait till the hangover kicks in.. It won't taste so good then.

Ha ha!!!! Say what you will!!! Nobody's asking you to like vortex. You guys act like I'm trying to reach in your gun safe and switch out your precious leupolds with some equally as good Vortex scopes!!! I'm not trying to convince you. Obviously your mind is made up just like mine!!! Both from past experience!! Just like trucks everyone will argue which ones better and when all it really comes down to is which one you prefer!!! No different here!!! Good day sir!!!!

Originally Posted By: FairChase93They preach the VIP warranty because they KNOW your going to have to use it.

Yep! They are really good at it by now...

So just for fun I hit up Youtube for Vortex, Leupold and Burris commercials

I chose the the first video that showed up top.

Neither Vortex or Leupold mention warranty, only Burris.

I sure as heck ain't gonna fault a company because they wanna fix their product if an issue arrives, thats a big plus. Saying a company has the best warranty because most of their scopes fail is plain out silly talk makes zero sense.

Cheers!!

Originally Posted By: Saskcoyote78Well I have a Viper PST 2.5-10x32 on a rifle, and its every bit as clear as my previous Zeiss Conquests and my Leupold VX 6 which I just bought. Big complaint is the eye relief on the Viper PST but it seems to make you get the proper cheek wield every time which makes for consistent shooting. Im also not a fan of how easy the turrets move.
I have a Vortex Diamondback HP and the glass on it is very poor but it was 1/2 the price of the Viper PST.
I can't speak for the other Viper PST models but the 2.5-10x32 is very crisp and clear.

Doing some research on optics and came across this older thread. I'm in the camp that is disappointed by Vortex glass sub-Razor models.

However, I have read many times (not experienced) that the Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x32 is their best scope optically outside of the Razor.

Right now I'm researching and trying to find a Burris XTR II in 4-20 and a Veracity in 3-15. Do they resolve details as good or better than a VX-3?

I have the Veracity in 4-20 I really like it. The turrets are not distinctive as others, but the glass is bright and it is not as if they spin like screws. The retcle is easy to use also.

I'm done with them....vortex that is. Why,you ask?

Viper..... eyepiece got very loose. Came back from service and could barely turn it. Then it wouldn't track correctly. They finally replaced it with a refurbished unit that was lacking optically.

Diamondback.... reticle was not level with the turrets. And I had cheaper (FF2) that cost a lot less and was far better optically.

Don't get me started with shooting buddies experience.

Vortex don't make [beeep]. They are just rebranders/resalers that farm [beeep] out to the lowest bidder with can met the spec. They started in 2004 and have about 140 employees that peddle the stuff and try to fix what's broke. Leupold on the other hand actually makes makes optics and has since 1907 with over 650 employees here in the US. If the vortex stuff works for you, I'm happy for ya.

Just a follow-up Whitedogone...the newest Razor AMG is made by Vortex, in America. But my feelings on them, save the Razor lines, leave very much to be desired.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760Just a follow-up Whitedogone...the newest Razor AMG is made by Vortex, in America. But my feelings on them, save the Razor lines, leave very much to be desired.

I stand corrected, thanks. I'll just let all the vortex fanboys field test them for another 80 years or so so they can catch up.

Originally Posted By: whitedogoneOriginally Posted By: pahntr760Just a follow-up Whitedogone...the newest Razor AMG is made by Vortex, in America. But my feelings on them, save the Razor lines, leave very much to be desired.

I stand corrected, thanks. I'll just let all the vortex fanboys field test them for another 80 years or so so they can catch up.

I've been burned by Vortex enough to not trust them much in respects of anything below the Razor line...this includes spotters and binos.

But, truly, the Razor line is a completely different animal.

Back