New AR Build questions and input!

A couple comments that I might make specifically about the stock:

The Oracle came with a carbine tube, buffer, spring, and stock. The Magpul PRS will be $200-250 just for the stock, but you'll have to change out your buffer tube, buffer, and spring too, $50 at least on top of the stock cost.

The PRS stock on a 16" Oracle upper is going to make that thing balance like schitt. Maybe I'm more particular about it than others might be, but I've put my PRS stocked lower on a carbine upper before, and it balances completely wrong for me.

Now, beyond that...

I personally like a lot of scope for mid to long range shooting, so a 4-16x44 would be in my wheelhouse. But it IS a lot of scope for short range shooting, especially if a dog comes in hot and heavy, or you catch him in your backdoor. Since budget doesn't seem to be a limiting factor for you, you may consider adding a scope rider or a 45degree offset rail with a red dot sight.

The Geiselle triggers are second to none, but I'm always very hard pressed to recommend one for any factory barreled rifle. For half the price, you can buy a Bushmaster Match 2 stage or a Rock River Match 2 stage or Varmint Match 2 stage, and have a trigger 80% as good (with a Mil-spec standard trigger on your Oracle being 5-10% as good as the Geiselle).

You're definitely going to have an upper that does not match your lower after these changes. Your upper is a fast handling, short to mid-range rifle. The lower with a Geiselle and PRS is a long range/bench rifle. Something to consider.

One disadvantage to the PRS is that the advantage of adjustability really doesn't matter after the first day you own it. Once you set it, you'll never turn those knobs again. If you were passing it around among a lot of shooters and letting them set the stock up perfectly for themselves, sure, it's a great stock, but a guy can adjust the LOP and cheek height of an A2 with permanent solutions for about 1/3 the cost of the PRS. Something to consider also.

The oracle is sitting in the safe at home as I received it as a gift and its just begging to be used with a purpose. I find it hard to rationalize buying a whole separate gun when i could have the one I currently own fit to my likes and needs for the same cost or even less.

That is what I am talking about right there, just shoot the gun as is and see what it can do. I do not see changing everything on the Oracle and "fitting it to your likes and needs" for the same cost or less.

I am trying to save you money.

Last edited:
if you watch the forums here and there you can come up with something like a Timney for $150-$175 range pretty easy. its a nice trigger. thats how i scored mine. NIB for way under retail. i did the happy dance all the way home when i picked it up.

Originally Posted By: VarminterrorA couple comments that I might make specifically about the stock:

you'll have to change out your buffer tube, buffer, and spring too, $50 at least on top of the stock cost.

The PRS stock on a 16" Oracle upper is going to make that thing balance like schitt.

I have considered both of these and am hoping the addition of a longer free float hand-guard will offset this somewhat. Also beneficial in my budgeting needs is i have found a guy on another forum willing to part with a PRS shipped to my house for little over 150. Brownells also has the whole buffer system kit for around 38. Just need to double check that its the right one.

Originally Posted By: Varminterroryou may consider adding a scope rider or a 45degree offset rail with a red dot sight.

Great point, hopefully i see him before he's breathing down my neck! luckily he scope rings i bought actually come with an extra ring with a picatinny rail for that purpose so if i want i could always remount the cheap reddot I had.

Originally Posted By: VarminterrorYou're definitely going to have an upper that does not match your lower after these changes. Your upper is a fast handling, short to mid-range rifle. The lower with a Geiselle and PRS is a long range/bench rifle. Something to consider.

I definitely will have a mismatched rifle while I save for each new part. You make a good point also about the Geiselle vs the RRA Varmint 2 stage. But one thing that I would say is that I do eventually plan to upgrade the barrel. This would solve several issue you raise(balance, better trigger need) Unfortunaley, while i know that the barrel is paramount for accuracy i believe it will be further down the road. I think by getting a better trigger and floating the barrel now and saving for a barrel i can get the most accuracy improvement while allowing me to start accurately shooting/hunting the fastest. Or atleast that's what im hoping?

Originally Posted By: VarminterrorOne disadvantage to the PRS is that the advantage of adjustability really doesn't matter after the first day you own it.... but a guy can adjust the LOP and cheek height of an A2 with permanent solutions for about 1/3 the cost of the PRS. Something to consider also.

This is an excellent point but i have had trouble finding something in this realm could you provide specifics perhaps? Im a tall guy (6'4) and prefer a lengthy pull and higher comb height which is why I was looking at PRS especially for the price I can get it for.

Originally Posted By: dogtired

I am trying to save you money.

we seem to be saying the same thing but approaching it differently. I am still very much interested in saving money but also know that to get the rifle capable of what I what to shoot it will require upgrades and money. However I am ok with spending several hundred dollars in parts over the next two months to get there if I can get the accuracy I believe I can at the end of the additions. My biggest fear was that i would do all those additions and not see the desired results and wish I had saved for a new rifle instead for a couple extra hundred bucks. To that point your advice and others to go out and see what it shoots as is was invaluable information and I'm more than a little embarrassed that I didn't think of it myself. (hooray for people with wisdom and forums such as this one!!)

Also I did get a kick out of that clip
lol.gif

So yesterday I finally went to shoot. The conditions where bad (cold enough to lose feeling in trigger finger) and I didn't have very long. I followed the advice i found about breaking in the barrel. So far i only have 61 rounds down the tube. Right before I left I used the last 10 rounds to sight in and shoot to groups. Both were with PMC bronze FMJ 55 grain rounds.

url]

url]

For reference that diamond is 2.5 cm (0.98 in) and the grids are 1 cm. I didn't bring any good ammo as im still in the break in phase. But i was pleasantly surprised esp for FMJ which is supposed to be inaccurate. So would it be unheard of to expect with finding ammo the gun likes i could get slightly under 1 MOA??? Then after the modifications we have discussed could i get a lot closer to .75 or even .5 moa?? I just have no experience with the accuracy of gas guns?

As always thanks for any and all input and advice!!

Last edited:
Back