1/4 moa

My best 5-shot group @ 100 yards using the 20 Practical measuring .225" ..........

2014-08-14195157_zpsaead7eb9.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DAAThis is what a 1/4 MOA rifle looks like at 100 yards.

BR-Agg.jpg

Five shot groups, except the lower right, which isn't a group at all, it was the mothball I used for sighters. And a fly that got splatted, though not near as much gut spray around the hole as the earlier fly splat pictured.

Not a factory rifle. But, it actually does shoot 1/4 MOA.

- DAA

This is the only one that count's. Cherry picking a single or few groups out of MANY don't count at all. It's not the best group that defines the rifle but an average. What it does CONSISTANTLY.

Originally Posted By: coleridgeCherry picking a single or few groups out of MANY don't count at all. It's not the best group that defines the rifle but an average. What it does CONSISTANTLY.

This is true and I think most of us understand this.
wink.gif

I had a savage vlp .223 that gave many groups in the 1s and 2s. But... it would throw random shots that would open some groups to the 7's. It wasn't me or the load and I rebedded it several times with the same outcome.
It would have been a true internet savage without those ''fliers''. However, I would feel confident saying its lifetime agg was sub .5'' at 100 and good conditions.
It now wears a bartlein and the fliers are gone.

Originally Posted By: bparkerNice groups Dave, what was the rifle and the chambering those groups were shot with?

Top target is a 20 Practical, built on a Savage 16 with a 12 twist Shilen select match
This is with H322. Photocopying messed up the size of the squares, they're 7/16" rather than 1/2".
20150225_184112_zpspey25jpk.jpg

The bottom one is my son's 243, a Savage 12BVSS
This is from a few days ago...same rifle but, a different load.
Taking it WY in June, weighing out 600 rounds of Varget wasn't real appealing sounding.
CFE223 flows real nice through the powder measure. Doesn't shoot as well but, it's still minute-of-prairie dog.
20150208_120430_zpsp4s4zhxf.jpg

BR-Agg.jpg

Five shot groups, except the lower right, which isn't a group at all, it was the mothball I used for sighters. And a fly that got splatted, though not near as much gut spray around the hole as the earlier fly splat pictured.

- DAA

I'd love to hear more about that rifle !!

That's a REAL 1/4 MOA rig.

Here is a target where I was working up some loads. I have some other targets where they all pretty much look like targets 4 thru 6. This was also "NOT" a factory barrel.

Originally Posted By: ShovelheadaveOriginally Posted By: DAA

- DAA

.22BR w/zero freebore, .246 neck, Nesika K, Jewell HVR, Lilja HV, Lee Six HBR, Nightforce 8x32, custom bases/Kelbly rings.

It's the one in front with the fire breathing dragon burning down a prairie dog town painted on it. The other one is my .243AI, shoots almost, but not quite as good.

Rifles2.jpg

- DAA

Last edited:
DAA's are true quarter moa rifles and a shooter comparable to those rifles. Not to start an arguement but a good day at the range shooting quarter inch groups, and then an average day shooting half inch groups means the rifle can't shoot quarter inch?

Originally Posted By: mbaysinger89DAA's are true quarter moa rifles and a shooter comparable to those rifles. Not to start an arguement but a good day at the range shooting quarter inch groups, and then an average day shooting half inch groups means the rifle can't shoot quarter inch?

Good point. I know I've had days where I would shoot 3/8" to 1/2" 5 shot groups time and time again but it's extremely hard to settle in and pull the trigger sometimes w/o seeing just a tiny bit of movement of the crosshairs on the target due to your heartbeat if nothing else, not to mention other variables like wind, or a slightly unstable shooting platform or whatever. One has to be very, very good behind the trigger to be able to pull off 1/4" or less groups at 100 yards no matter how well the rifle actually shoots.

Having a very, very light trigger helps as well. Right now I don't have anything under a 2-1/2# trigger and I know having a 1# or less trigger could decrease my group sizes just a tiny bit.

Last edited:

BR-Agg.jpg

- DAA

That is quite good. I am very jelious..

Most accurate rifle I ever owned was a 788 remington 223. But it wasn't that good..

Originally Posted By: DAAOriginally Posted By: ShovelheadaveOriginally Posted By: DAA

- DAA

.22BR w/zero freebore, .246 neck, Nesika K, Jewell HVR, Lilja HV, Lee Six HBR, Nightforce 8x32, custom bases/Kelbly rings.

It's the one in front with the fire breathing dragon burning down a prairie dog town painted on it. The other one is my .243AI, shoots almost, but not quite as good.

Rifles2.jpg

- DAA

Aside from it being a very nicely done rifle that shoots lights-out......the metaphor of your 22BR breathing fire across a PD town is FANTASTIC !!! Well Done !!

I'd be willing to bet that actual 1/2 MOA guns in the hands of our fellow hunters are more rare than one would think......................You showing me a 1/2" group means nothing. I want to see it repeated again, and again, and again..............

I say to all the guys that post a great group with their factory ammo or rifle. NICE JOB! You have nothing to prove to no one and keep up the good work. A group is a group. And to the ones wanting more, sorry you can't pat a guy on the back. Everyone here is human amd when we humans put up a good group we are proud of it on that day under those conditions. It let's us know the gun is capable of more than we are most of the times. Keep up the good work guys. Whatever moa it shot, call it what it is! It's yours!

Back