Information On Genetic Deformities/Problems in Coyotes?

SheJackal

Hello!

I'm looking for information (with bonus pictures if you have them!) of any sort of potential genetic deformities or conditions that you may have come across in a coyote you've hunted. Missing/impacted teeth, eye deformities, muscular problems/wasting, improperly placed or deformed organs, etc.

At this point in my life do not have much direct contact with wild coyotes. Outside of some research projects back in school as part of a livestock management series of classes and lectures and there was never a chance to closely examine a large number of coyotes for defects (not like I thought to look then). I figure the people who hunt them would be a great resource as you have a chance to see and examine a variety of coyotes up close (and you guys are WAY better at taking detail pictures lol) and the national spread of the forum would make for a great resource of coyotes observed across the country.

I'm curious on a personal level as I have a female coyote who resides in the house and lives alongside my dogs and my housemate has a rescue coydog (half shepherd, most likely bred intentionally by some exotics keeper) who also lives alongside her dogs.I'm hoping that maybe some of you can help with some research into possible future medical concerns.

The history on both of these animals is generally unknown. One was a rescue pulled from a shelter and the other captive bred (thank you weird exotics laws) who turned up in a rescue situation and is therefore unreleasable. For those who care, they're legal permits in order, etc. They're also vaccinated, wormed, do not run loose ever, and are properly contained.

There's simply not much compiled literature on the various genetic conditions in coyotes as there is on dogs and even wolfdogs (as they've been bred and inbred captivity so long there are generally solid lists of genetic conditions to be aware of). Since we do actually work these animals (The coydog trains in obedience, the coyote does some obedience work and also joins my dogs mushing in fromt of the sled all the winter) We'd like to have an idea of general idea of things that show up in coyotes to keep on standby for diagnostic reference down the line if there are any issues, especially since unlike a normal dog, the ability to run a variety of diagnostic tests isn't really an option the same way it is with a domestic dog. If we can compile a list of things that are easily screened for I'd love to be able to do blood draws on the pure when she turns two and I have her in to get her hips and elbows xrayed and get her spayed as the fewer times I have to put her under the better and it would be nice to do all the dramatic examinations and screening in one go.

My one request is that you refrain from telling me to kill my pet or from threatening to kill my pet, even in joking....it gets old fast.....seriously....not to mention it's creepy as this animal lives in my house not in some outdoor zoo enclosure...so the implication is that you want to to come into my house and shoot something which is extremely sketchy
wink.gif

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Sure!

Here's a few photos of my girl (the pure)
10850142_10152944104227386_4095524494859748889_n-1.jpg

10404238_10152657516101704_5358188305219869774_n.jpg

10559783_10152409534961704_7995976980918368164_n-1.jpg

10957333_10152845028416704_5231359695455193949_n.jpg

And an informal video of some OB work (ignore terrible pop music, pandora is not always kind). It should look to a playlist of some of her training videos.....
http://youtu.be/yIAtiSbdM4c?list=PLcIVNC4ixX3P0hINK7-EYmmmvaj-JK27Q

As the coydog belongs to my housemate I have to get permission before posting most of the photos I have of her. However here's one I know I'm allowed to share. She's an F1, phenotypes upper mid, best guess is her dog half is GSD based on behavior and rear end conformation.

tumblr_n0ug0rxbY11trvur9o1_1280.jpg

i watched all of them. thanks. enjoyed them. she is the most human socialized coyote i have ever seen. you are doing a great job with her. how old is she now? thanks again.

That is awesome - thank you -
mother nature wreaks havoc on the weak-
not many last long out there as it is a tough haul for those with any deformities
the odd stubby- or occasionally blinded eye

She's about 10 months old currently. RIGHT in the middle of her first breeding season so extremely hormonal. I'll try to get more recent video up but we've been doing mostly dogsledding recently and I've yet to find a way to consistently keep the camera on the sled and get nice video (one day I'll be able to afford a go-pro camera...but until my dogs can start paying the bills that's a ways off lol)

Research suggests the behavior she's displaying now will be a good indication of what she'll be like during future breeding times (spayed or not).....if that's the case than clingy needy snuggly and generally made of velcro is what I have to look forward too...can't really complain but she's putting purse dogs to shame with how spoiled and needy she is right now...

Considering I went into the season prepared with bite gloves, a mini catchpole, and making sure she was 100% muzzle broke I'm pretty pleased, I've had to use none of it....not looking forward to the year #2 where she's all this snuggly and also attempting to seduce one of my dogs but at least I lucked out ending up with one who gets sweet rather than pissy...

I know natural selection takes out most deformities or disorders that show up in puppies. Considering she's past young puppyhood at this point I think we're pretty safe from that side of things anyway. I'm especially interested in later onset things which may be more likely to show up in adults. Considering an adult coyote with a disability would be more likely to go for livestock, it would have a much greater chance of being shot in general (I'd assume as while I know there's a lot of coyote sport hunting a lot of it is still under the catagory of population control and livestock protection).

I can see how missing tails would be super common. I've noticed my girl has amazing body awareness...except for her tail, it's almost comical how much she gets it caught in things, puts it where it gets stepped on, and forgets that it's attached to her....not to mention unlike my dogs tails for example it's rather skinny...very fluffy but not much bone or skin under all the fluff....

By "velcro" I mean she's literally stuck to me lol. All she wants to do is to snuggle up and be pet....if I give her out time she'll lay on my feet, if I put her in her crate and am within reaching distance she'll reach her paw out to grab me then press her face into my hand to pet her and make loud purring squeaking noises....I had her out to give her a bath earlier and I turned by back for a second o grab a towel and she jumped up under my shirt and curled into a little ball and squeaked....tried to do our weekly "long hike" (she gets walks on the days we don't dogsled then once a week we do a longer hike) and she spent the entire time in heel position or trying to get into my jacket and curl up there...

It's like that dog that follows you around everywhere...but worse because it's a hormonal coyote with the agility to actually follow you everywhere...I had to actually teach her a sit-stay so if she followed me into the bathroom she wasn't in the shower with me. She's like velcro, can't get away from her. Hoping that it goes away once breeding season is over but I have to admit, it is nice to have her so happy to be petted, makes health checks and grooming easier and less messy.....was able to do all of her nails and clean her ears yesterday without any wiggling or trying to steal the cotton balls...

Last edited:
that's pretty cool thanks for sharing, about the only deformities I have seen on coyotes are man made or as the result of a fight, nothing genetic

Interesting stuff. We have a Healer who is very much like that. She was basically raised wild till she was about four months old. My wife rescued her and it took quite a while for her to become socialized to us. But now that she is, she is in your back pocket at all times. I have been around a few healers and while they are truly loyal dogs I have never seen one quite like her the way she basically sticks to whoever is out with her. It's great when we are outside working as she basically baby sits our 5 year old daughter and never leaves her side. If it's just me or the wife outside she is so close you end up stepping on her sometimes when you turn. In my simple opinion and observation it's because whether it's wild dogs or coyotes they rely on the "pack" and when you get there trust you become on of their pack mates and they seem to be even more clingy then a standard dog. I have no idea it that makes sense or not and I am no biologist but like I said it is just a simple observation I have made.

It's actually interesting you mention heelers.

The closest mirror to her behavior in domestic dogs is my heeler and I've noticed that many people who claim their quirky acting pet is a "coydog" tend to have ACD mixes.

Observing the behavior I think what you see in cattle dogs that is "coylike" is the relatively recent dingo outcrossing in the breed (compared to other domestic breeds). From what I understand dingos, also a highly adaptable canine, are closest in behavior to coyotes.

we kill alot of coyotes in ohio and they range from full on rural to semi urban up close to town yotes. we cover most all of the state through out the season. i cannot say i have seen any deformities, abnormalities or apparent disease in any of them to date. in fact they have all been healthy in appearance and general size/weight. they usually do not appear to be missing any meals. the coyote as you may know is an ultra resilient animal capable of the utmost adaptation. thats my .02

Back