Hornady lock-n-load auto charge

J.Mark

Any opinions on Hornady lock-n-load auto charge powder dispenser?I have used a Ohaus gr.scale for 40 years and decided a digital scale would be nice for certain loads.

did some reading in the archives and since I have a harrel powder dispenser I'm just going to buy a simple gr.scale for quick weight checks when load building.

i had a Hornady scale/dispenser combo as my first choice for a dispenser

unfortunatly mine was horrible - lots ov over throws (10-15% of the charges went past weight and had to be redone) and then after only a couple hundred charges thrown the LCD started crapping out on me.

took it back and upgraded to a chargemaster combo and i've never been happier. its been fantastic for me, especially after the mcdonalds straw mod to help even drops for extruded powder.

if you catch the sale and use the rebate, you can have one on your bench for around $259+ ship

I have had 2 instances where my Hornady powder dispenser went on the fritz and wouldn't dispense, but would only operate as a scale. I have had ONE instance where it would throw over charges every charge, but it would give an overcharge error reading. Unplug and start over, all 3 times it has gone back to normal operation and was fine within minutes. Out of habit, I check every load on a Lee Safety Powder Balance or an RCBS 505 (Ohaus), out of around 5,000-8,000 charges thrown, if the Hornady says it's on, then it's on.

I picked mine up on a sale about 2yrs ago now, got it out the door for $225+tax.

As a chemical engineer, I work with analytical instruments including balances and scales on a regular basis. The Hornady housing kinda looks cheap, but the user interface for the scale and dispenser is simple, cleaning is simple, and it does what it's designed to do. If I ever wanted to add another, or needed to replace mine, I'd be hard pressed to justify buying another model instead of the Hornady again.

Last edited:
I had the same issue mentioned above with consistent overcharges. I found the info on adjusting the trickle speed (that sounds funny) from Hornady and the problem went away... works great!

Back