Lasik eye surgery

J.Mark

Have any of you aging predator hunters tired of fogged glasses and had Lasik surgery? If so how do you like it and would you do it again?

a friend of mine had it done and so did his wife also. hers turned out perfect, his was 100% corrected in his left eye 85% in his right eye. consequently he still has to wear glasses for that one eye. He purchased an insurance plan that would cover any additional work to help achieve 100% in both eyes. The Dr. advised him to give it 1 year to see if it got any better then if it didnt he could come in for a touch up. sadly that dr. went out of business in that time frame so he is left with it like it is. unless he wants to pay a different Dr. i guess what im getting at is that he was fairly pleased with the procedure but recommended one really check on a good stable dr. office. i am also looking to have it done soon, but i am very concerned, after all it is my eyes. glasses are a pain but that is much better than having the risk of the dr. making a mistake. idk im still weighing it all out. Btw, he and his wife were in their late 30's when they had it done.

Last edited:
Not an "aging" hunter, but had astigmatism and had LASIK, it was best money spent. Would I do it again? Yes, but long story. One eye I had done was LASIK, one was PRK. I was never told about PRK before the procedure, and long story short, I had one done each way. I would actually do the PRK in both eyes if I had the choice to do over.
20/10 in one eye, 20/15 in the other.

I was in my 40's when I had it done. 20/15 in both eyes. I'd do it over again in a heartbeat. One thing to keep in mind though. If you are able to take your glass off now and see better up close you will no longer be able to do that after surgery. You will always need reading glasses.

I was 48 when I had the surgery. I'm now 50 and my eyes are better than they have ever been. I have better than 20/20 vision.

I am 2 months shy of 60.I use to have great vision but as I aged things got blurry.I have 20-15 vision with contacts but there so hard for me to put in.Ive heard they can correct the aging eye thing but I to am leery because I only have two eyes.Any one know any one in late 50's to have it done?

If your sight got blurry as you aged you might have cataracts and it takes a whole different surgery to fix. I've worn glasses for 50 years and had the cataract surgery done and I love it. I have 20-20 in one eye and 20-25 in the other. The surgery is more detailed but I would have it done again in a heartbeat. I had NO pain so it's good!

I had it done in Canada for a college graduation present in 1996....yeah....way back.
at the time my coke bottle vision was 20/3500. I went to 20/20 in one and 20/10 in the other. But after a few years i've regressed to a steady 20/30, 20/40 and need slight correction. People always say, man that sucks. I say man........its great. at least now i could survive without correction if need be rather than be Hellen Keller. The only negative lingering effect for me has been some night glare though.

Last edited:
I wore glasses for 40 years, starting in sixth grade. Had Lasik in 2009 (I'm 57 now) and don't regret it a bit. When I had it done I paid for the full meal deal, meaning I can get free tweaks if I need them, but to date haven't had any worries.

I do wear reading glasses, as I went from very near sighted to far sighted. I have some bifocal shooting glasses (generic safety glasses) that I wear when I'm calling coyotes so I can read the call names on the FoxPro remote
laugh.gif

One of the best investments I ever made!

Yes, Yes, also had PRK, and on both eyes.
PRK was the original corrective procedure, done many years before LASIK became popular.
Pilots, athletes, law enforcement are advised PRK over LASIK, even now.

My PRKs were on top of cataract replacement, which in itself was worth while.
Quick background, cataract is the natural age related clouding of the inner eye lens.
An artificial lens is swapped for the clouded original, during cataract surgery.
It is a shock to get all the "new" light in, that the cataracts had been filtering out.
The "extra" light is a problem at night from on-coming traffic headlights on narrow roads.
But that helps with night vision, a blessing in disguise at the yote stand..

The Lasik/PRK on top of that further shapes the outer layers to correct non-uniform outer layers, independent of the new artificial lens.
So I can see +20/20 distance and can also read most print, but still carry drug store reading glasses but only need them for fine print.
Yes, I would do it all over. No more need for contacts or bifocals..

I am 60 now but only really need glasses to read and see stuff inside arm's length. I can still see fine at distance and never have worn glasses hunting or shooting.
I have noticed while hunting hogs at night the youngsters I hunt with can spot pigs that I cannot pick up without the Swaro's so my night vision has faded for sure.

I had PRK 3 years ago. I see better then I ever did with glasses but my right eye could use a little tweeking now it good just not as good as my left one.

Just had it done a week ago in my right eye. Only needed it because my left eye is 20/15 and my right is 20/200. So far so good. My vision has slowly gotten better every day. Make sure to go with the best place you can find. Don't want to mess with going with a bargain outfit and have them mess up and go out of business as said earlier. The place I went to used Intralase to cut the flap before LASIK which helps healing time and is more safe.

I had PRK back when I was in the Army and its been great, I would recommend getting it.
20/15 left and 20/20 right

Last edited:
J.Mark, I was 5 years older than you when my PRK/cataracts were done.
Degraded vision due to cataracts was what triggered the surgeries.
On the first cataract surgery (right), I was out.
On the 2nd (left), I chose to watch the new lens slide into position, it was neat & I'll never forget it.

Prior, I had been wearing soft contacts in both eyes for distance, for several years.
I learned to deal with them, and actually looked forward to getting them in, so that distance/medium vision would be clear.
Still had to have reading glasses for anything within 5 feet.
Dropping all that for good distance and moderate reading (with no correction) was well worth it..
Good thing about LASIK is you heal quicker, and it is much more popular now than PRK.
Like cig_beef said, find the best doctor, then trust him. It worked for me.

Back