Mass First Bobcat

LARUEminati

First bobcat!! Amazing

I've spent some long hard days out for a cat, up and over mountains and thru swamps all throughout western and central mass. Countless dry stands. Turns out my first one comes completely unexpectedly on a stand loaded with coyote & rabbit tracks before I even got the shockwave fired up.

The area has more than 48" of snow so its been tough going, snowshoes required. We just had the first warm day in awhile sunday which packed the snow a little and froze the top over enough to make their travel a little easier. You could see where the yotes were traveling on top and would fall thru maybe every fifth step.

Just arriving on stand I spotted this cat 60 yards off running away from me thru the brush, he must have spotted me. Learning from prior mistakes, I had my gun up and was ready. First load of hevi-shot rolled him and then I let out a few more for good measure considering how far away he was...very impressive results. Chalk another one up for the versa-max.

Nice tom, couldn't be happier!

Good job! It always pays to have a little luck. Putting in all that time eventually paid off.
thumbup1.gif

Originally Posted By: DesertRamNice! I like the picture that shows all the pellet impacts in the snow around him. Good shooting.

Haha, thanks. I thought the same when I saw it, you can see where he broke through the snow when he rolled too. He didnt make it far after that.

Originally Posted By: catalyst319That one should go on the wall next to the grey fox. Excellent work!

You bet! It's already at the taxidermist. Took the week off from work to try and finish the season off with a bang and pulled in that cat the first day.

Nice one, congrats ! Not sure, but I think we are still limited to #2 shot for cats and fox. I
keep finding tracks, but no cat this year yet.

Originally Posted By: masshunterNice one, congrats ! Not sure, but I think we are still limited to #2 shot for cats and fox. I
keep finding tracks, but no cat this year yet.

Thanks! I was shootin those #2 3-1/2" hevi-shot goose rounds. Best option when cats & fox may be in play & they let out over 100 pellets I believe. Very impressed with them thus far but not cheap.

Still some time left for you to find one! Too bad it's tough getting around in all this snow. Good luck

Awesome cat. You're definitely doing things right if you're picking off bobcats before setups . Also, it looks like that cats been around awhile.

Originally Posted By: swampwalkerAwesome cat. You're definitely doing things right if you're picking off bobcats before setups . Also, it looks like that cats been around awhile.

Real early on a buddy and I had a coyote walk up on us during a night hunt probably less than a minute after we sat down. He just happened to be traveling the edge of the woodline where we sat down. Neither of us were paying attention and didn't see him till he basically ran us over so that was the education for me to always be ready.

Back