Thermal Units Competing with FLIR?

there are more on the market like these but I can't speak for the quality or warranty like a Flir. Flir has a mighty fine reputation and I don't know anyone that owns anything else, but I don't know everyone. lol

I have a Pulsar Quantum HD19A. I can only compare it to a TS-32 FLIR, because that is the only other thermal I have used. In my honest opinion, the Pulsar gives a better imagine. Although rated for 500 meters, I regularly get heat signatures at 700 yds from deer. It runs on 4 AA batteries and comes with video output. It can also use a battery pack that will run it for either 9 or 20 hours. I really like the unit. It has white hot or black hot, but not red instalert like the flir. The warranty is for 3 years. It is less than half the price of the TS-32. So far it has done everything in scanning that I expected a thermal unit would provide.

Originally Posted By: Shurshotthere are more on the market like these but I can't speak for the quality or warranty like a Flir. Flir has a mighty fine reputation and I don't know anyone that owns anything else, but I don't know everyone. lol

That pulsar line of thermals has pixel pitch spec of 25.

Can someone please explain the significance of the difference between the various pixel pitch systems? 25, 17, and 12? Are these specs a "generational" improvement?

Thanks.

Last edited:
As the focal array plane of semiconductor thermoresistors on the microbolometer becomes smaller and smaller, the size of the germanium lens required to focus onto the microbolometer also becomes smaller and smaller for the same FOV, ie a 12um microbolometer would need 1/2 the size germanium lens as a 25um microbolometer for the same performance.

The smaller microbolometer also makes for smaller more compact thermal video imaging device packing and less battery consumption.

Thank you. What with the result be if you kept the lens size The same across the systems? it sounds like there would be a change in field of view (observed as optical magnification)? would there also be any perception in increased resolution?

Is a 12 µm system capable of delivering a sharper image then a 17 or 25 µm system?

Thanks

Larger lens size and smaller microbolometers would mean less FOV and more long range distance capability.

A 12um microbolometer needs a smaller lens to equal that used with a larger microbolometer.

Originally Posted By: DoubleUpI have a Pulsar Quantum HD19A. I can only compare it to a TS-32 FLIR, because that is the only other thermal I have used. In my honest opinion, the Pulsar gives a better imagine. Although rated for 500 meters, I regularly get heat signatures at 700 yds from deer. It runs on 4 AA batteries and comes with video output. It can also use a battery pack that will run it for either 9 or 20 hours. I really like the unit. It has white hot or black hot, but not red instalert like the flir. The warranty is for 3 years. It is less than half the price of the TS-32. So far it has done everything in scanning that I expected a thermal unit would provide.

Thank you doubleup...I appreciate the information and feedback.

Originally Posted By: WildfowlerIs a 12 µm system capable of delivering a sharper image then a 17 or 25 µm system?

Yes. There are 12 micron core monoculars available now. I have not seen any with the "instalert" feature that FLIR offers but that doesn't mean there in not one out there.

I think I would give up the difference in resolution to get the "instalert" ability. I own a FLIR PS and I have a high confidence level regarding the FLIR PS series monoculars. They are easy to handle in the field, built like a tank, and are backed by a customer service policy that is second to none.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Gman757Originally Posted By: WildfowlerIs a 12 µm system capable of delivering a sharper image then a 17 or 25 µm system?

Yes.

No, that is not true, what matters is the number of pixels needed to make an image, usually a minimum of 12 pixels is required to make a recognizible form.

A 12um microbolometer does not have any more pixels than any other sized mocrobolometer, it just uses a smaller lens to get the same number of pixels lite up with thermal emissivity.

Vanadium oxide uncooled cores are measuring thermal emissivity in the mid IR bandwidth of 9-14 microns, so 12um is not going to get any smaller since one wavelength adsorption per pixel is the lower limit.

Originally Posted By: SkyPupOriginally Posted By: Gman757Originally Posted By: WildfowlerIs a 12 µm system capable of delivering a sharper image then a 17 or 25 µm system?

Yes.

No,

Pup.....you are light years ahead of me on the technical knowledge. All I can say is I own BOTH and the 12 micron unit has a better defined image than the 17 micron.

Last edited:
I've used and own FLIR PS32/LS64, HD 19,38,50 models and eotech X320. All are nice systems however Imperfered the pulsar HD units for the money mainly because the had the best display, and used AA batteries. Now that FLIR is putting a bigger LCD in the scout series they should compare better to the other systems in that price range.

Originally Posted By: Gman757Originally Posted By: SkyPupOriginally Posted By: Gman757Originally Posted By: WildfowlerIs a 12 µm system capable of delivering a sharper image then a 17 or 25 µm system?

Yes.

No,

Pup.....you are light years ahead of me on the technical knowledge. All I can say is I own both and the 12 micron unit is a better defined image than the 17 micron.

There is a standard definition of target acquisition and target identification that has been in use with thermal imagers for a number of years and is the gold standard for military use of thermals to recognize friend from foe.

It is called the Johnson Criteria and it does NOT matter if the pixel size is 35um, 25um, 17um, or 12um, it is still the same in all instances.

http://www.flir.com/uploadedfiles/eng_01_howfar.pdf

Originally Posted By: SkyPupThe smaller microbolometer also makes for smaller more compact thermal video imaging device packing and less battery consumption.

This a compact 12 µm 640 core unit that runs on one CR123 battery @ 30HZ or 60HZ. They will be available in April and I can tell you the image is killer with that BAE core.

http://www.irdefense.com/irp-main-price.html

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Gman757Originally Posted By: SkyPupThe smaller microbolometer also makes for smaller more compact thermal video imaging device packing and less battery consumption.

This a compact 12 µm 640 core unit that runs on one CR123 battery @ 30HZ or 60HZ. They will be available in April and I can tell you the image is killer with that BAE core.

http://www.irdefense.com/irp-main-price.html

We have pre orders on the new IR Patrols. The 100 and 100C models will be released in March and the other models in April.

http://tnvc.com/shop/ir-patrol-le100-c-series-copy/
http://tnvc.com/shop/ir-patrol-m250-thermal-monocular-copy/

Same here, I've been looking for a new 640 core scanner myself. I would really like a 2X optical lens model 640 scanner, but at the Patrols price point its something I've been thinking real hard about.

When will the prices drop on models like the FLIR PS-32 and Pulsar 19 so more folks can enjoy this awesome technology? Or, will prices increase?

Originally Posted By: MPHWhen will the prices drop on models like the FLIR PS-32 and Pulsar 19 so more folks can enjoy this awesome technology? Or, will prices increase?

Your best bet would be to look for a used PS32 or whatever unit you want. I sold mine and there will be more out there as guys look to upgrade.

Back