could it be possible to get meningitis from skinning a coyote

jace f

Is it possible to get meningitis from skinning a coyote. Say if you accidentally poked yourself yourself with a skinning knife I heard somewhere it was possible. Thanks

i have skinned, washed, sewed, stretched many, many coyotes. cut myself with the knife, had broken bones poke me and bones cut me many times. never had so much as even a infection.

but i dont know if a person can get meningitis from a coyote. maybe. there is probably many things you can maybe get from a nasty coyote. i have probably been lucky.

Tularemia is uncommon in coyotes but it could lead to worse as described below:

Complications of tularemia

By Mayo Clinic Staff

Left untreated, tularemia can be fatal. Other possible complications include:

Inflammation of the lungs (pneumonia). Pneumonia can lead to respiratory failure — a condition in which the lungs don't take in enough oxygen, release enough carbon dioxide or both.

Infection around the brain and spinal cord (meningitis). Meningitis is a serious and sometimes life-threatening infection of the fluid and membranes (meninges) surrounding the brain and spinal cord. Signs and symptoms of bacterial meningitis include high fever, severe headache, stiff neck and sensitivity to light. If not treated promptly, bacterial meningitis can cause brain damage and even death.

Back