22-250 bullet choices for coyotes amd long ramge shooting.

zr600

Im going to start reloading for my 22-250 going to try varget between berger 60 or 64 gr varmint, nolser 60 gr ballistic tip varmint, or 60 gr vmax what would you guys recomend?

The 60gr Berger shoots great from a 1/12 but I have only shot hogs with it no coyotes. The 60 gr Vmax should do fine but have only used it out of 1/8 twist barrels in .223 so results maybe different going faster from a slower twist rate as far as coyotes goes.

Originally Posted By: zr600Ok i looked on nolsers sight they say a 1:10 twist i guess that one is out. So its between the berger and vmax.

You could try them anyways, sometimes you can cheat twist rate with velocity. It can be a crap shoot but it does sometimes work.

Originally Posted By: spotstalkshoot55 gr Nosler btip have worked fine for me out to 500 yards on coyote. I push them with 36 grs of Varget.

+ 1 on all of that.

I have good success with 53 grain sierra match king hollow point bullets. Very accurate out of my tikka. Seems to be pretty fur friendly as long as no major bone is hit

Last edited:
Match Kings have been very good, but you have to look out with these babies if you shoot varmints. This is not a scientific assessment, just an observation that I've seen some really wacky ricochets with those bullets off of sun-baked ground. Not sure if b-tips would have done the same, but after watching a couple of Match Kings bounce across the prairie I stopped using them for varmints and predators. Yikes. I didn't want to be "that guy" having to explain to some rancher how I accidentally put a hole in his stock tank.

For me, the Nosler b-tips and the V-Max shoot great and they are so close in terms of performance that I can't tell the difference. Personally I like the 50g.

Grouse

Originally Posted By: The Famous GrouseMatch Kings have been very good, but you have to look out with these babies if you shoot varmints. This is not a scientific assessment, just an observation that I've seen some really wacky ricochets with those bullets off of sun-baked ground. Not sure if b-tips would have done the same, but after watching a couple of Match Kings bounce across the prairie I stopped using them for varmints and predators. Yikes. I didn't want to be "that guy" having to explain to some rancher how I accidentally put a hole in his stock tank.

This is why I always get kick out of those that just pick a varmint bullet by the highest bc they can find. There is a reason why varmint bullets were developed. They are a necessity when shooting around populated areas because they explode on contact.

Originally Posted By: joedOriginally Posted By: The Famous GrouseMatch Kings have been very good, but you have to look out with these babies if you shoot varmints. This is not a scientific assessment, just an observation that I've seen some really wacky ricochets with those bullets off of sun-baked ground. Not sure if b-tips would have done the same, but after watching a couple of Match Kings bounce across the prairie I stopped using them for varmints and predators. Yikes. I didn't want to be "that guy" having to explain to some rancher how I accidentally put a hole in his stock tank.

This is why I always get kick out of those that just pick a varmint bullet by the highest bc they can find. There is a reason why varmint bullets were developed. They are a necessity when shooting around populated areas because they explode on contact.

Agreed on everything here. That's why I like the 53 grain V-max. High BC and explosive on impact.
thumbup1.gif

60 grain bullets are a good compromise between wind and elevation.

The 60 VMAX works well in my friends rifles, even at 223 velocity.

i use a 50gr Vmax. in mine with 36.48gr of Varget.

I have been out shooting PDs in the wind and still shot them at over 500yrds. (with the same twist rate)

Originally Posted By: joed

I'm sure there are people out there who spend a lot of time punching paper in front of nice solid sand banks and it never occurs to them to think about what happens when that backstop is no longer there.

I don't know if the Match Kings are any better or worse than other FMJs or match bullets, but thought it was worth pointing out that at least for hunting use you have to look at the bigger picture.

Grouse

Back