New trap bedding method/tool

4Beards

Hey everyone, need some feedback on something that I am working on that could possibly make bedding a canine trap (arguably the toughest part of canine set construction) very simple. Essentially, it would be a piece of ABS plastic that was molded to fit the individual trap like a glove, and it would have a very shallow slope leading up to the jaws. the top of the plastic would be even with the jaws, so even if the yote was pouncing on the jaw it wouldn't budge.

When the set is initially made you would have to dig the unit under the ground, but that would be done early season anyways so it wouldnt be a hassle if you were out early enough. After the trap was placed in the unit and the whole works covered with dirt, your set would be made.

No more:

-Pounding down on trap jaws to get it to bed
-Traps snapped in your face and dirt in your eyes
-Frozen-down traps

Not to mention with this thing you could completely seal the trap in: the unit would cover the bottom and sides and you could throw wax paper on top to complete the caccoon.

I originally came up with this idea for snow trapping. Where I trap in ND snow trapping is frustrating to say the least. I experimented with plastic grocery bags, wax paper, zip lock baggies, peat moss, etc. and nothing worked. When I started using this my catch rates increased exponentially. Trap didn't freeze down, and the plastic base snugged down into the snow excellently.

I guess I'm just looking for some feedback from you guys. Would you use something like this? (the below image is just a clay mock-up!)
full-18490-265373-mjv.jpg

Last edited:
Once a coyote is caught it will be destroyed. All you have to do is dig the center of the bed deeper and the trap locks right on with no movement.

I see that as more of an anti-freeze solution than a bedding solution. I think that looks like an excellent tool for snow and freeze/thaw conditions. Made of the proper material, it would be almost impossible for the jaws to freeze down. You could probably sift snow straight on top of the trap using that gadget.

ETA: you could mold it with "wings" of sorts coming up from the bottom so that no pan cover is needed too! (if you know what I mean?)

Last edited:
If made out of the correct material ( something very slick) it would be awesome in preventing freeze down, IMO. I think you are on to something. Never know until you try !

Back