pof vs timney ar15 triggers

brusso89

I've read a lot on these triggers (probably to much) and I can't decide. Supposedly the pof are made by timney? I had it narrowed down to the pof 4.5, timney 4 and the cmc 4 all curved. I don't really have a way of trying them out so I was trying to read up on them all. Any of you guys have experience or preferences?

POF aren't made by Timney. I shoot the Timney and BTE in several rifles. I really like the Timney but the first BTE I shot put them in the shade. You might add them into the mix. I have shot a couple POF's but they weren't so outstanding I'd sell my others.

Greg

Originally Posted By: brusso89That bte looks interesting, do they only have it available in 3.5 pounds? I was kinda wanting a 4 pound minimum

Mine are all 3.5 but you might send him a note through the website.

Greg

I also have a BTE. It's crisp and clean and works great on the bench but I don't like it for action shooting. I don't know exactly what it is but something about the reset causes me to "short stroke" it WAY more than I'd like.

For a 4lb+ trigger, the POF AR15 Trigger w/ KNS Pins is hard to beat. Esp at $150 w/ free shipping.

POF's drop-in triggers are somewhat similar to Timney triggers. POF and Timney worked in collaboration to bring the first Timney AR15 triggers to market, so they have some similar lineage. They're not exactly the same and their retention/install method is different but they're both solid triggers. We've sold hundreds upon hundreds of both with very few issues. As far as we know, POF triggers aren't made by Timney.

A number of our customers buy triggers based on lighter trigger pulls so the Timney has been historically more popular. However, we've sold a number of POF triggers to those wanting to shoot other calibers that the Timney may light primer-strike on such as 7.62x39 & 7.62x51. POF doesn't currently make a lighter trigger pull than their 4lb triggers. The current sale price on the POF triggers makes them more lucrative as well.

I wouldn't hesitate to jump on the POF trigger.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: brusso89Seeing how they are $150 with free shipping on Joe bobs ...

My bad... I just saw the price and thought it was a really good deal with the pins too, I didn't realize it could be bought new for the same price.

I have a POF 4.5 single stage in my AR and really like it, although it's not a hunting rig. I wouldn't hesitate to hunt with it though, it's that crisp and clean.
No experience with the Timney in an AR.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LouPOF triggers will not work with the DPMS lower. Ask me how I know?

Lou, I assume you're referring to a POF EFP Triggerand a DPMS AR10 w/ STRAIGHT integral trigger guard? This combo won't work because of the longer trigger and thicker straight trigger guard that has been built into the lower.

A standard 4LB AR15 POF Trigger should work with any standard mil-spec AR15 or AR10 lower receiver.

Jason with Predator Technology Group, LLC had some of his new ones at the PM convention and they were Awesome. He had the other brands in lowers to try and his was the best in my book.

Originally Posted By: JoeBobOutfittersOriginally Posted By: LouPOF triggers will not work with the DPMS lower. Ask me how I know?

Lou, I assume you're referring to a POF EFP Triggerand a DPMS AR10 w/ STRAIGHT integral trigger guard? This combo won't work because of the longer trigger and thicker straight trigger guard that has been built into the lower.

A standard 4LB AR15 POF Trigger should work with any standard mil-spec AR15 or AR10 lower receiver.

I ordered a New Frontier Armory complete lower. When I tried to fire it, it would either only be a single shot or it would do a three round burst. I tried to fix it myself and managed to make it worse. I then ordered a P.O.F trigger and it did not fit. The trigger is too long and would bottom out on the trigger gaurd. I was able to modify the trigger(yep I ground it down) so it would fit, only to find out the stock safety would not work. Yep, more modifications! Needless to say, this probably isn't a combo an inexperienced person would want to deal with.

I couldn't really figure out if it was the triggers fault or the lower. Of course if the trigger in the complete lower would have been worth a hoot to begin with, I wouldn't have even purchased the trigger.
blush.gif

i cant say anything about the POF because i haven't tried them, but i have a timney 4# in my main ar lower and its fantastic.

Originally Posted By: barkOriginally Posted By: JoeBobOutfittersOriginally Posted By: LouPOF triggers will not work with the DPMS lower. Ask me how I know?

I ordered a New Frontier Armory complete lower. When I tried to fire it, it would either only be a single shot or it would do a three round burst. I tried to fix it myself and managed to make it worse. I then ordered a P.O.F trigger and it did not fit. The trigger is too long and would bottom out on the trigger gaurd. I was able to modify the trigger(yep I ground it down) so it would fit, only to find out the stock safety would not work. Yep, more modifications! Needless to say, this probably isn't a combo an inexperienced person would want to deal with.

I couldn't really figure out if it was the triggers fault or the lower. Of course if the trigger in the complete lower would have been worth a hoot to begin with, I wouldn't have even purchased the trigger.
blush.gif

The New Frontier polymer trigger group is better than 90% of milspec triggers floating around. Honestly, its not bad. For the money, its awesome. However, the fire control group/safety is proprietary and designed to work together. Swapping the fire control group will typically mean you need to also swap the trigger. Its designed to be a very economical option, but if swapping out the FCG then the safety will most likely need swapped out as well.

Originally Posted By: JoeBobOutfittersOriginally Posted By: barkOriginally Posted By: JoeBobOutfittersOriginally Posted By: LouPOF triggers will not work with the DPMS lower. Ask me how I know?

blush.gif

The New Frontier polymer trigger group is better than 90% of milspec triggers floating around. Honestly, its not bad. For the money, its awesome. However, the fire control group/safety is proprietary and designed to work together. Swapping the fire control group will typically mean you need to also swap the trigger. Its designed to be a very economical option, but if swapping out the FCG then the safety will most likely need swapped out as well.

That could be. I'm about to find out. I ordered another lower from you, but have not had the time to fire it. I will be disappointed to say the least, if the trigger in the second one doesn't work.

Back