hawk issuse

Benz

Newbie back again.... well getting slightly better still working on my setup got winded tuesday morning after the storm had enough time to get out just before first lihht and i rushed as the sun came up and just threw a set together before thinking about the windwhat would be commin sure enough here came one about 5minutes into the fusion then right back out it went without a shot bummed i pack up and left knowing i could set up that evening which i did and i had a big red tailed hawk all over
allover my call and decoy even moved to a different set and the same thing so i called it quits till this morning finding a fresh pair of tracks on my way out i decided to set up and try a quickie in no wind but no sooner than i got the call out and got the foxjack moving here comes another (bleeping) hawk..... well this time it got my whole call in the air i didnt know what to think or do other than jump up hollerin a t the (bleeep) just yea streak of bad luck , curse or is there something i can do to limit hawk attacks og and he dropped it before or well the support rod came out and left the call and weny across thefeild were i found it and my decoy

It's just part of it, especially here in the east. Hawks and owls both. If they come, your sound is good enough for most any predator in my opinion. Just keep going, don't sweat the small stuff.

Ight sounds better than i thought i figured there might be somthing wrong with my calling since i was getting mostly bird action and one more yhing its snowing like crazy here got about 250yards of visibility and no wind should i try a set this morning

I call in a lot of hawks and owls around here. I have been lucky and haven't had one come after the decoy yet, but it seems like when I see them, if I switch my calling from distress sounds to coyote vocals, they lose interest and leave. I can switch back to distress and they will come right back.

when I was in my teens and twenties I was a licensed falconer. When we caught redtails with a pigeon in a harness ( didn't go well for the pigeon) we just used a couple of railroad spikes for weight, the trick is to attach the weight with 5-6 ft of cord, once they were high enough to lift the weight it would start swinging and they didn't fly well with swinging weight. If you have lots of problems you could add a little weight, it doesn't have to very heavy if it can swing.

It's simple just remember the old waterfowlers advice... "Butt, belly, beak - BANG!" Remember to follow through.
smile.gif

EDIT: Joking, that's a federal violation and nobody needs that trouble.

I loose a chicken or two to the hawks yea it bothers me but i like listening to them and watching them and yea the fed thing is another good point

Had a barn owl tear up my mojo critter last evening. I kept turning on the call to scare it away. Didn't work. If you find a way to stop em let me know please.

Best thing ive heard of is not use a decoy to get them to stop attackin itt even so ive been out and the red tails have been thick commin to the call but no decoy to attack

Best thing ive heard of is not use a decoy to get them to stop attackin itt even so ive been out and the red tails have been thick commin to the call but no decoy to attack

Back