BCG Help

kldad73

I am building my first AR and I to the point I need to order a BCG. I see that PSA has them still on Sale for $89.99. This is a lot cheeper than I have found on other sites. In a world that you get what you pay for. How is the quality on the BCG. I am trying to build a sub MOA AR without breaking the bank. I have a BHW barrel on order and already have a CMC trigger. How much does the BCG affect the accuracy of the weapon?

I just finished a build. I went with a cheaper bcg from AIM. They have a good reputation but the gas key wasn't staked properly and wasn't seated right and leaked causing the gun to not cycle. Luckily they are going to refund my money.

I ended up getting a fail zero NiB bcg and it works awesome. I would recommend spending a little more and getting a better bcg to save yourself any potential headaches.

Thanks 4season for the reply. Your experience is partly why I am asking. I know a few people in my area that run PSA BCG but they are not worried about accuracy. So I feel their experiences wouldn't help me as much.

I don't do this for a living, but I have probably assembled over 50 AR's, maybe more {no B.S.} I have used the "cost effective" carriers as well as the hi-dollar ones and never had a problem. I don't get the big deal many guys are making lately about the staking of the carrier key bolts. Many of the carriers I used already had the key installed, many did not. Even the people that sell carriers seem to really make a big deal that the carrier "has the key already installed", as if it is some nearly impossible feat of mechanical accomplishment to put two Allen screws in a part and tighten them????? I have seen guys at gun shows not buy a carrier because the key was not already installed. I have to ask, if you cant or are too afraid to put in two screws and make them tight and then {oh my god get ready for this one!!!!!} take a hammer and mash a little metal over to help you believe it wont move, what are you doing putting the rest of the gun together???????? Will a key coming loose somehow cause a nuclear explosion I don't know about??? Wont the rifle simply short stroke???? That's all I have ever seen a loose key do.
I have never staked a carrier key bolt, ever. Never had a problem. I have used red Loctite on some of them. If the key is installed and the bolts PROPERLY tightened only an Allen wrench will undo them. Obviously a loose Key is a problem...but the question is why was it put on the gun. Seeing staked bolts does not excuse the assembler from checking for proper install...that stupid little stake may not have anything to do with the bolts not being properly tightened to start with. I recommend if you see a loose bolt anywhere on something you are putting together tighten it and move on with the program.

a bcg has nothing to do with accuracy. I run psa bcg in 4 of my ARs, have had zero issues. I went with the less expensive bcg so I could put more money towards the parts that do affect accuracy, the barrel and trigger. Good luck with your build

PSA BCG are good for the money there are a bunch of rifles around here running them, I have 2 with no issues. 4seasons you could have fixed that in 5 minutes, AIM BCG's are good also and a bunch of rifles around here running them and know where a box full are waiting for builds.

Last edited:
You are correct I could have fixed it very easily. That's not the point though. It was a brand new part. I shouldn't have to fix a brand new part. AIM would have exchanged it too if I wantes. When I was at the shop and we did a comparison with the fz. The fx just felt so much better in my rifle. The fit and finish was enough for me to spend the extra money.

To the op an aim or psa will probably serve you fine. I will say aim has great customer service. If i ever do a budget build I will probably use one of their carriers. I now look at it this way if you're spending a lot to build a nice rifle why go all out then cheap out on a bcg?

Originally Posted By: 1badsheeThe NiB BCG's are nice.

I agree. IIRC aim uses utc to coat their bcg's which is the same place fail zero uses

Originally Posted By: 4seasons69IIRC aim uses utc to coat their bcg's

i use mobil 1 to coat my bcg. i have enough to coat about 2 million.
smile.gif

Ive had good luck with surplus ammo's BCG's out of three I have,none of them have had one issue they are around the same price your looking at.

Mine is a PSA Nib BCG, it looks and functions well. Has been in 2 uppers.
It (and the AR) have been flawless for over last +700 factory rounds..

Unless you are going to hammer through 6 to 10,000 rounds a year you will never see a difference. I have burned some of the cheap ones down with very hard use.

Thanks for the input guys. I just went ahead and ordered a Fail Zero Semi-Auto from Primary Arms. The more I looked at it the NiB seemed to be the way to go.

Back