The 17 WSM and Savage B Mag

NWCP

I managed to latch onto a Savage B Mag 17WSM rimfire about 7 weeks ago. Since owning the rifle I've only scored on 8 boxes of 25 grain 17 WSM ammo. While the ammo supply is woefully thin I have managed to shoot it enough to sight in my scope and get a feel for its accuracy out to 100 yards. So far I'm duly impressed and look forward to trying it on some coyotes. I've managed to keep my groups at or just under MOA at 100 yards. I have however noticed the wind still pushes even the 25 grain bullet around a bit. Not as bad as my 17HMR, but you still have to be aware of its impact on your shot. I would imagine out past 200 yards it'll be even a bit dicier.

The trigger on the Savage is nice as most AccuTriggers are. The gun is exceptionally light weight even with my Harris bipod and scope mounted. I'm still getting used to the 8 round mag, but it functions fine as long as you remember to ensure it is properly seated in the stock. The rifle cocks on closing so the bolt feels a bit stiff if you're not used to it. Other than making sure you close the bolt forcefully the magazine feeds smoothly and the bolt ejects spent cartridges well.

I've talked to Winchester support about consistency concerns with the ammo. I've had some some variation in weight and accuracy from box to box. Not much mind you but enough to consider tightening up QC perhaps. The 25 grain WSM is still within minute of coyote regardless. I have no doubt that the little 17 moving along at 2600fps in its 25 grain ballistic tip configuration will put a song dog down no problem out to 150 yards. Any longer and a head shot would be required. With its inherent accuracy that shouldn't be an issue. JMHO

Now to take my FoxPro Hellfire and the 17WSM into the field and see what it can do, providing I can get another box of ammo. So far no 3000fps 20 grain has been available for me to shoot, but I intend to use the 25 grain for larger critters in any case. They say the 20 grain smokes out to 300 yards. That remains to be seen.

Hopefully I'll have some feedback for you from the field here shortly. While I have high hopes for the 17WSM my trusty 6.8SPCII will accompany me as well for the longer shots, or in the event the wind is not in my favor.

Last edited:
Sounds like you got a decent shooter too. My B mag shoots around the MOA mark at 100 yds with 25 gr ammo as well but cuts that group by around half with the 20 gr ammo. The one I've got loves the light stuff, hopefully you'll see some soon so you can try it out.

Originally Posted By: Dixiedog1Sounds like you got a decent shooter too. My B mag shoots around the MOA mark at 100 yds with 25 gr ammo as well but cuts that group by around half with the 20 gr ammo. The one I've got loves the light stuff, hopefully you'll see some soon so you can try it out.

I'd like to try the 20 grain just t see how it shoots, but for hunting I think I'll stick with the 25 grain. Actually I'd be pleased to get my hands on any 17WSM right about now.

I'm not sure the 25 gr will be all that much better for hunting either.....3000 fps vs 2600 fps gives the 20 gr more fpe it just likely won't be quite as good in the wind.

I did not have time to follow up with him at the time, but the other day I read a post from a person with the handle "FurTaker" (I believe). He said he would rather have a "second mother-in-law rather than another Savage B-Mag". Anybody know why he might feel that way? I was considering buying one until I read that post.

He doesn't own the rifle or shot one that I know of and just doesn't like them , his opinion and he is entitled to it........but I own one and have used it two seasons hunting raccoons in the daytime and have had good luck and really like the performance and minimal fur damage I get even at the close ranges we shoot (10 feet to 40 yards average). Got one at 80 yards sitting in crotch of tree . Offhand shot because of brush and tree limbs . Quarter inch off dead center of between eyes (bug eyed him). Nice light gun to carry . Syn stock so no worries in brush ,trees , brambles . Functions perfect and totally reliable . My son and I hunt together and take around 60-80 per year . He shoots an HMR . Just one persons real world experience with the gun and round . Jim

Originally Posted By: IMAHNTRI did not have time to follow up with him at the time, but the other day I read a post from a person with the handle "FurTaker" (I believe). He said he would rather have a "second mother-in-law rather than another Savage B-Mag". Anybody know why he might feel that way? I was considering buying one until I read that post.

I've no direct experience, but was also interested in this rifle until I read of poor accuracy. It seems a contributing factor of its reported poor accuracy has to do with the cartridge itself, in that the rim thickness can have a lot of variance. I've seen one company marketing a guage, to check the rim. I've also read of an ammo manufacturer tooling up to manufacture their own cases for it, instead of using the nailgun blanks which the cartridge is based from.

I've been happy with my B-mag. I predominantly shoot the 25's, but I have not had any trouble building up an inventory of both rounds since I bought mine back in summer - I have over 1,000rnds of each and building more every month, no shortage around here.

I hate my factory stock. Like most of them I have seen, they're pretty flimsy, so my free-float would go away if I press the wrong way on the rifle over a rest or bipod. Also like most of the synthetic B-mag stocks that I've seen, mine had the marked "right bend" in the forend so the left side (as viewed from behind the trigger) of the forend pressed against the barrel when at rest. I relieved that and I seemed to shoot it a bit better.

Mine has been +/- 1MOA with both loads so far. I only have about 300rnds of the 25 and 200 of the 20's through it. On my first outing, the 20's were really bad, but after that box, I've had better luck - I'm not sure if that's a barrel break in thing, a bad lot of ammo thing, or a "I read the Outdoor Life article that said the 20's shot terribly and my mind projected that" thing...

I do have a Glades bolt handle for mine, and I'm waiting to bed it into a new Boyd's thumbhole laminate stock until after I get the pictures taken for a "gun review" post. I'm also working on my own pillar bedding strategy for the B-mag, since the factory pillar design is ACTION MOUNTED (stupid), and I'd have to glue it into the stock to properly glass bed and pillar block it using that design - which SHOULD be fine, but I'd much rather be able to remove it.

I've taken my B-mag after coyotes a couple of times, but haven't gotten a dog in front of it close enough to take a shot (or rather, I should say that my wife has torn them down at about 200yrds with her 223rem before they got close enough for me to shoot!). I've been 'planning' to go head shots only until I get a better feel for how the 25's will kill. They've made a mess of a few jack-rabbits so far, which I think is encouraging for coyote body shots. I'd like to put a few on some coon before I commit to a 150-200yrd coyote vital shot though.

I'm buying the heavy barreled stainless model within the next 2 weeks, just waiting for cash in hand from an upcoming sale before I buy it. I had a Savage 93R17 17HMR but wanted something in a 17 cal that was even faster/flatter shooting to take with me on a PD trip in June and decided I'd try one of the newer model B-Mags so I hope I like it. I already have a new Boyd's stock on the way for it and I am keeping an eye out for ammo at a decent price. With any luck I can have a report of my own within a month or so. I plan on topping it off with either a 3-12 or 4-16X42 Vortex Diamondback.

I have a heavy barrel stainless version, that had a factory synthetic floppy stock on it. It now has a Boyd's thumbhole gray laminate varminter stock on it, that made it into a decent rifle. I have to do a bit of sanding on one side of the barrel channel, to get a true free float on it, but it still shoots 1 MOA, with 20 gr. Winchester ammo. I have about 600 rounds of 20 gr. ammo hoarded. Last weekend I found a decent supply of 25 gr. Win. ammo, so I bought a 100 rounds to test to see if it likes that more or less than the 20 gr. stuff. I haven't bloodied the rifle yet, but definitely looking forward to garden munching, tree chewing, varmint eradication this summer. In general, I like the rifle now with the stock upgrade, and it shoots better than all of the Internet BS lead me to believe it would. Now with Hornady and Federal entering the 17 WSM ammo market, ammo quality and availability should improve.

Squeeze

Originally Posted By: IMAHNTRI did not have time to follow up with him at the time, but the other day I read a post from a person with the handle "FurTaker" (I believe). He said he would rather have a "second mother-in-law rather than another Savage B-Mag". Anybody know why he might feel that way? I was considering buying one until I read that post.

I know why he might feel that way. Here's my experience with the bmag.
I had to have on so I bought one thinking it was gonna be the best thing since sliced bread. i bought both weights of ammo thinking it may like one above the other. well it didn't like any ammo, pi$$ poor groups. called Savage, sent that one back and they sent me a new and 'improved' one. well that one didn't win any accuracy awards and shot just as bad as the first one. I asked Savage for a refund, sent in my receipt and about 3 weeks later got a check. They never balked at a refund. I know a few people on here claim to have gotten good shooters but after my second try I gave up.

Now that's why some hate the bmag.

Originally Posted By: vahunterOriginally Posted By: IMAHNTRI did not have time to follow up with him at the time, but the other day I read a post from a person with the handle "FurTaker" (I believe). He said he would rather have a "second mother-in-law rather than another Savage B-Mag". Anybody know why he might feel that way? I was considering buying one until I read that post.

I know why he might feel that way. Here's my experience with the bmag.
I had to have on so I bought one thinking it was gonna be the best thing since sliced bread. i bought both weights of ammo thinking it may like one above the other. well it didn't like any ammo, pi$$ poor groups. called Savage, sent that one back and they sent me a new and 'improved' one. well that one didn't win any accuracy awards and shot just as bad as the first one. I asked Savage for a refund, sent in my receipt and about 3 weeks later got a check. They never balked at a refund. I know a few people on here claim to have gotten good shooters but after my second try I gave up.

Now that's why some hate the bmag.

x2 I bought a skinny barrel bmag, sent it back to savage becuase it shot 4-6" groups at 100 yards (I shoot .5-.75" 100 yard groups with my .308 so its not me). The one savage sent back was better (2-3") but not the sub MOA gun I wanted. When the 1st one was at savage, I bought a heavy barrel version. Its a 3" gun. Both prefer one ammo over antoher (20 grain vs 25 grain). I've read that if you get a recent manufacture gun (check on line or with savage with serial number) your chances of getting a shooter are better. I've also heard that using Hornady ammo is an improvement but that ammo's impossible to find. I'm waiting for the Ruger 77/17 WSM to come out. Or for someone to make an AR version like the Franklin Arms but doesn't weigh 9+ lbs. Or for CZ to step up.

I may have battered wife syndrom because I'm thinking about bying the b.mag "lady hunter" from Cabelas. Laminate stock and newer manufacture, maybe it will work?

Seems like savage is hit or miss with the rimfires. After great reviews on the 93 btvs in 22 mag I bought one. It turned out to be a real dud. Other guys I know have had great success with them. Unfortunately due to mediocre results with them I don't want to risk buying another. I had to argue with the store to take mine back and don't want to go through the hassle again. Will continue to buy their centerfire though.

Savage hit or miss? Wrong!!! The inter net reviews are hit or miss. I have a B-mag and as far as power goes it puts all other rimfire magnums to shame! And my B-mag is pretty accurate too! At first I didnt like the B-mag, but now Im glad I got one, I carry it with me all the time.

i had a bmag that shot 3 to 4 inch groups at 100 yards. sent it back to savage. they sent me one of the newer ones with an 8 twist barrel. they even put a cheap bushnell scope on it. also sent 2 *test* targets supposedly shot with the gun they sent me. about 1.5 inch groups.

took the cheap scope off right away and put a good scope on it. the new rifle shot groups worse than the first one. those test targets they sent with the rifle darn sure were not shot with the rifle they sent back to me. no way. lol

maybe not all, but MOST bmags could be compared to lightening. never know where they might hit next.

It's a real shame that there are so many bad reviews of the Savage BMAG. The cartridge seems to be a perfect fox/bobcat round with the ability to knock down the occasional coyote. For under $400 you could have an inexpensive, lightweight scoped rifle good past 100 yards in a stock that you wouldn't be afraid to drag through the puckerbrush. Sounds like quality control in the first versions was not great, and even the newer rifles all with the 1-8 twist are getting mixed reviews. Other options in that caliber are going to go for twice the price, so not my idea of ideal.

The one thing I've not yet seen is any real chronograph tests of the ammo. Much debate over whether the ammo is super inconsistent and, if so, which is better than others.

I really hope they get the Savage BMAG squared away and it's good to hear some having luck.

I had a 17 wsm barrel made by MGM for my t/c contender---very pleased with it- very accurate ,,Ive killed porkies,coons squirrels and have had a blast shooting crows up to 300 yds-but I had a chance to see what it would do on a coyote called in and I missed at 50 yds shot over him [wished for a bolt]what a great rimfire---Hope The Guys that are having trouble with your Savage's get them squared away---Great little round

Last edited:
I've shot my uncle's Bmag. I'm not wild about the gun. I do like the cartridge. He has killed one coyote with it.

Also a lot of info about this at Rimfire.com forums.

Some may be interested to know that Ruger is coming out with a 17 wsm in a 77/17. When they come out with a ruger american rimfire it will be on the top of my list.

Back