204 Ruger Reloaders

Guess I'll be the oddball. I use mainly Forster and Redding but, have lately moved to a Sinclair arbor press and Wilson dies. They are a joy to use and they produce very straight loads. kymailman98 has offered a good suggestion.

Sinclair arbor press and Wilson dies are a very good quality way to go, and can easily be done at the range for working up loads... and the smaller rounds don't need heavy power presses to force brass into submission... just the slightest amounts of adjustments of brass here and there.

Originally Posted By: kymailman98I will make a suggestion to you, and I'm only trying to be helpful. I have reloaded for the 204 and found that the smaller calibers are harder for me than larger ones, and that's for a variety of reasons. If I were you, I'd start out reloading for your 243 first. The 243 is a very easy caliber to reload for, and you can gain a lot of experience that way. If you decide to go with the 204 first, I had good luck with H335 powder and a 35 grain Berger bullet.

You make a good point there, thank you for that suggestion. I was planning on reloading the 243 Win eventually but if it's easier to start out with that, then that's what I think I will do. After all that 204 isn't going anywhere since they stopped making that model. Thanks again to everyone for the help

Last edited:
While the Rock-chucker is a great press in it's own right, if you think you're going to stick with reloading, I highly recommend just ponying up the extra cash and get a Forster Co-Ax from the get go. No shell holders to buy for each caliber, great precision, and 100% repeatability when you swap from one setup to the next and back again, with the slide in dies. Only need to set them up once.

I've used all the major brands of dies, and have settled on 3 brands that I'd ever buy again. Forster, Redding, and Whidden Gunworks - for odd calibers and custom stuff, they are extremely similar to Forster dies.

To each their own but the advantages of the Co-Ax are hard to ignore, and if you do decide to get out of it, you'll get nearly every dollar you spend on it back in short order.

Back