6mm Remington vs 223

outdoor rebels

OK every one I was wanting to get some thoughts on this cause I'm stuck I've got money for one big gun project right now I'm stuck between a Remington 40 x in 6mm or buying another 223 bushmaster ar varmint was wondering your guys thoughts was wanting a something with a little more power at 500 yards for yotes bullet drops about the same from all the info with in plus or minus 5th was thing about loading 95 grains set for the 6mm I load 53 grains macs for my Remington 700sps tactical in it does pretty nice I'm at 1/2 groups at 300 plus so what do you guys think of the 40x and the 6mm

6mm what? if its 6mm rem. then theres a huge difference between it and the 223 for 500 yards, of course thats if the twist will allow the longer bullets of the 6mm choices, of course the 223 with a fast twist is also great out to 600 yards.

I have always respected folks that can feel comfortable with a 600 yard shot.
A Coyote at 600 yards, looks like a baby kitten.......if that big.....
Someday I aspire to make a shot like that and it not be luck...

A 6x45 with the 65g vmax does great at 600 yards.
I put the stalk on one yesterday and could only get within 700 yards and above it on a hill crest. It finally moseyed into the 600 yard range where I put the 65g VM into it, dropped on the spot....no need for a "heavy" 6mm rig IMO. I also have every confidence in my rig and myself for those type of shots.
It was 627 yards after I ranged it.

Thanks for the input it's a 6mm Remington by the way I've read plenty of good things about them in was wanting a little bit larger caliber to help with wind play so that's why I was really thinking about going with the 6mm Remington plus it's got a bench rest set another plus cause I've be wanting a bench gun I was going to go with I'm 4064 powder with Hornady set 95 or a vmax bullet once I've verify the twist rate any reloading tip

Originally Posted By: outdoor rebelsmy Remington 700sps tactical in it does pretty nice I'm at 1/2 groups at 300 plus

whatever this is ^^^^^ is what i would use. wow. that is some wild accuracy.

Thanks I spent a lot of time fine tuning a load and pillar ING glass bedding fire lap barrel and had it blue printed Timmy trigger scope mounts are one piece mounts reamed in set vortex has viper scope and a compensator I spend a lot of time fine tuning loads and rifles my old 788 Remington in 222 remember on bags will shoot 11/2 inch groups at 600 And my custom savage 99 lever gun in 308 I killed a pronghorn at 678 yards last that gun has a tone of work done to it

Originally Posted By: outdoor rebelsThanks I spent a lot of time fine tuning a load and pillar ING glass bedding fire lap barrel and had it blue printed Timmy trigger scope mounts are one piece mounts reamed in set vortex has viper scope and a compensator I spend a lot of time fine tuning loads and rifles my old 788 Remington in 222 remember on bags will shoot 11/2 inch groups at 600 And my custom savage 99 lever gun in 308 I killed a pronghorn at 678 yards last that gun has a tone of work done to it

just keeps getting better.

I was shooting 87vmax in my 6mm Remington out to 1125 this morning....while I wasn't shooting at a coyote at that range I'd be grabbing my 6mm over my 223 AI at any range past 500....

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: outdoor rebelsThanks I spent a lot of time fine tuning a load and pillar ING glass bedding fire lap barrel and had it blue printed Timmy trigger scope mounts are one piece mounts reamed in set vortex has viper scope and a compensator I spend a lot of time fine tuning loads and rifles my old 788 Remington in 222 remember on bags will shoot 11/2 inch groups at 600 And my custom savage 99 lever gun in 308 I killed a pronghorn at 678 yards last that gun has a tone of work done to it

just keeps getting better. . That ain't nuthin. I'm shootin 1/4 inch groups at 1000 with my .17

Originally Posted By: outdoor rebelsThanks I spent a lot of time fine tuning a load and pillar ING glass bedding fire lap barrel and had it blue printed Timmy trigger scope mounts are one piece mounts reamed in set vortex has viper scope and a compensator I spend a lot of time fine tuning loads and rifles my old 788 Remington in 222 remember on bags will shoot 11/2 inch groups at 600 And my custom savage 99 lever gun in 308 I killed a pronghorn at 678 yards last that gun has a tone of work done to it

Wow, I didn't follow any of this....

im finding it hard to follow myself. I would suggest using some grammar and spell check/error proof your posts. The way they read now makes me feel like i'm a dyslexic 3rd grader stumbling all over the place.

Sounds like you already have a benchrest gun, if your 788 shoots 1.5" at 600 yards. Thats right there boss. And your 700 sps is nipping at the heels of that. So I'd get the 6mm remington and work on tightening those groups up using some heavier grain 6mm Berger bullets maybe. By the way, you just typed 3 of the longest sentences I think I've ever seen. One in each post!

I would REALLY like to see/hear more about these rifles.
thumbup.gif

While working on that grammar lesson; might want to learn how to read a tape or calipers as well.

Back