which state would you go

I'm really new to the sport, but I have been thinking about going to a spot in western South Dakota that I've turkey hunted four or five times. We've always seen a few coyotes on our trips out there, as well as a bobcat now and then, and I know the area pretty good. But I think just about any western state would be a good hunt when you're from Indiana like we are. Lol!

Wyoming - No license needed!

+ I killed all the Coyotes in my area's!

When are you planning? I wouldnt expect big things this time of the year, most coyotes have been educated and depending on the area are not worth much if you are selling the furs.

Now if you have a decoy dog and can get into some territories of mating pairs you may have MUCH better luck.

south or north Dakota would be good. I have been turkey hunting north east nebraska five of six times now and see some there as well.
But I also know that those states have been hit with mange really bad and numbers are down.
also states like wyoming and montana will have coyote kills put on by ranchers, so dont know what the numbers would be like there.
I would love to go to either one of those states though just for the veiw.

I am not sure what month to go. I am trying to plan it for this fall/winter coming up. we are thinking maybe late october. Nevada or New Mexico maybe not sure though what do you guys think.

Originally Posted By: FairChase93Originally Posted By: WcboyPlus we would like to hunt at night using the lights

Then South Dakota won't work for you, it's not legal here.

Same here

Originally Posted By: Mr. PoppadopalisWyoming - No license needed!

Is there quite a bit of public land to hunt?

Originally Posted By: coyotewhispererOriginally Posted By: Mr. PoppadopalisWyoming - No license needed!

Is there quite a bit of public land to hunt?

If you are planning on hunting this coming Fall/Winter you should have time to plan for a decent hunt in a decent state. Right now the coyote season is winding down, meaning they are very educated and the fur on most females is rubbed pretty good and worth nothing. (Maybe $5.00 on the carcass)

My best males have been topped at $35 on the carcass.

Colorado - Night hunting is legal on Private property using lights. You can also hunt Colorado at night on Pawnee or any other National Grasslands providing you have written permission from the DOW officer in your area along with a letter from the National Forest Service. Night Vision and Thermal is only legal in a "Damage" control situation and you must be an agent of the land and these are not legal on Public lands.

Chances are you will NOT recieve a letter from the DOW if it is big game season.

You can contact HuntmapsGPS which is one of the sponsors here at PM and they can hook you up with just about any state that will show both public and private properties.

I have Wyoming, Colorado and Nebraska Micro SD cards and they are life savers.

Colorado you will need a Non Res small game license as well.

Wanna talk more?

PM me with your contact info.

Originally Posted By: Wcboysouth or north Dakota would be good. I have been turkey hunting north east nebraska five of six times now and see some there as well.
But I also know that those states have been hit with mange really bad and numbers are down.
also states like wyoming and montana will have coyote kills put on by ranchers, so dont know what the numbers would be like there.
I would love to go to either one of those states though just for the veiw.

Believe me the farmers and ranchers in South Dakota kill plenty of coyotes as well. Lots of community kills.

Fairchase93: Do you have to have a license to hunt coyotes in South Dakota? Would there be a lot of land for a person out of state to come hunt them for a few days?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: WcboyPlus we would like to hunt at night using the lights

Then skip NM. Spotlighting is legal on private ground only, and then with certain restrictions.

I would take a good look at Arizona, we were down there for the pm convention. lets just say it was a lot of fun and tons of public land.

Back