Quail season in Oklahoma.

OKRattler

Why did they decide to extend quail season this year? Because there's over 500 birds this year? They're not over populated by any means. I realize there's more of them than there has been in a long time. But I think its okay to give it a rest and give them an opportunity to repopulate instead of killing everything we do have for half a year. But what do I know?

I've seen alot more than I have in a long time. But I didn't think there was enough they'd extend the season that long. But then again I'm not a wildlife Biologist so I wouldn't know. I like shootin quail as much as the next guy even though I haven't in a long time. But there's ground that gets hammered hard every week. Some places close to where I coyote hunt which doesn't help matters much. That shootin week after week has things so scared you could walk through there and not kick up a cricket out of the grass. That's kind of what made me bring up the subject. I'd like to see the quail population like it was was when I was a teenager. Its getting better but I don't know for how long. If we have another dry Summer that's about how long it'll last. If the pheasant population gets any worse they might as well shut pheasant season down and start introducing more into the wild.

I know the prolonged drought has not helped the situation... But the quail population declined before that... Don't know genius decided to lengthen the season... Seem they would shorten it if they where to modify it at all...

I did really well this year on quail , my best day killed a limit in 4 hrs not the norm though, we hunted a lot in Texas also, we put more birds in the air this year than I the last 4 season combined it took our dogs several hunts to knock the rust off. As far as the question at hand even though I'm an avid bird hunter I would love to see them reduce the days back to five days a week like it was when I was young or reduce the limit to maybe 6-8 , but I'm not sure that they extended the season for as long as I can remember it's been 2 wk of November to feb 15 ( but I don't remember very well anymore ) the wildlife guys say none of that's matters anyway " I have a hard time believing that " if they would put as much money in quail as they do in deer & turkey we'd be fine.

Doublebarrel shorthairs & Reddirt Pointers
Newcastle Ok

Back